The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bridle

Can anyone tell me about this bridle? It came with my new pony and I've not seen one like this before.

http://m.flickr.com/photos/67120310@...8456/lightbox/

Nope! I have never seen one like it! At first I thought it was a halter / bridle combo, but its not. I wonder if it was custom made - looks like they took the throat latch and made it the cavason hanger - then added a secondary stabilizing buckle in the same place you would expect to see one on a lunging cavason.

Strange!

I got him and it from Germany (only 1.5 hours from my place) they said it was a special one but I didn't think to ask anything more...They're due out for a visit so I guess I'll ask then if nobody can figure it out here

I have seen them before, but couldn't tell you what it's called, or what the purpose is. Sorry!

Strange... Almost looks like someone tried to copy a Micklem bridle but then added a bunch of extra stuff.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

1 members found this post helpful.

I am wondering if they have had trouble with the pony getting his bridle off. I have known some fine headed ponies with small ears that can get their own bridles off by shaking their heads just right.

1 members found this post helpful.

I believe that's an incorrectly fitted Micklem bridle with a flash attachment?

They're supposed to look like this: http://www.williammicklem.com/images...ltibridle6.jpg

Basically, if I remember correctly, the jist of the Micklem is that they don't hit certain pressure points and are ergonomically designed for a horse's face vs a regular bridle.