The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default There are no Arabians in America...

For a project for my photography class, I elected to shoot some photos at the local Arab show last weekend. We're supposed to select one photo from each project for class critique, so I selected one from the PB Mounted Native costume. I explained what the event was, which resulted in the following conversation with one of my classmates:

"But there aren't any Arabians in America."

"All of mine are Arabian bred."

"But they're crossed with something."

"Two of them are half-Arabians, but the third is a purebred."

"But they're not REAL Arabians."

"I have DNA testing to confirm the parentage on my purebred..."

"I mean the real Arabians. You know, the ones owned by the people who live in tents."

*headdesk*

And he knows all this because his uncle owns the "whatchamacallits, those horses that race in the Kentucky Derby."

7 members found this post helpful.

Um. Does sleeping in tents at Arab shows count?

What a doof.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

8 members found this post helpful.

Hahahahaha!

He probably confuses the terms "purebred" and "thoroughbred", too.

You can't fix stupid!

My daughter has a similar story, but a sad one. In an African culture class, a student didn't believe there were cities in Africa. She thought all the "natives" lived in huts. College level. Scary.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

11 members found this post helpful.

Well, my Bakkir was as pure Arabian as the come. Royally bred and yes he would have entered any tent - if I asked him to. He would also have happily followed me into my house. He was a very in your pocket type of horse.

There is a shortage of Arabians in Ontario. But that is because they are unpopular and people still over price them. Once people start being realistic about the breed (still 80's prices on mares) then they will make a come back.

But just like some TB's you really have to know how to work with a smart horse. I found my guy LOVED being out on the trail seeing things, but would act up in the arena if I wasn't working him. You have to know how to handle them, but they become friends for life

6 members found this post helpful.

Pics please of Bakkir!
    The Knotted Pony

2 members found this post helpful.

I agree, we need to see pictures of Bakkir!
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

Yes, I third that! Pics!

For fun, this is my purebred mare: https://scontent-a-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/...93528163_n.jpg

Photo by Andrea of CU@X.

For all the "Arabians are crazy" talk, this mare is the BEST kids horse. She's teaching both kids to ride right now, and is soooooooo conscious of when they're struggling, and she'll stop if they start having a hard time. When I went to try her, I really didn't want to buy a kids horse just yet (I'd wanted to get the kids a few months of lessons first), but figured I couldn't afford to miss her if she really was as awesome as I'd heard. I was trying her in an outdoor arena situated right next to a road. As I'm cantering along the side bordering the road, a fire truck and ambulance go by with full lights/sirens. I pulled her up, thinking I was going to die, and she didn't even move an ear. Just went along happily doing her thing. She babysits both kids beautifully, and I'm so glad we bought her. Yup, she's built downhill and has a really funky right foreleg, but as a solid teacher/confidence-builder for the kids, I couldn't ask for more.

18 members found this post helpful.

What a pretty mare! I love her subtle hind sock (its a footie!)
    The Knotted Pony

I thought you said she was funny looking?
    More like neat looking and moving.

4 members found this post helpful.

The ignorance of some people and other culture's is disturbing. I'm pretty sure that America is one (if not the) most ethnocentric nations on earth.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    The ignorance of some people and other culture's is disturbing. I'm pretty sure that America is one (if not the) most ethnocentric nations on earth.
    The rest of the world thinks "americans" are all gangsters shooting everyone or cowboys riding into the sunset.

Heck, plenty in the USA itself think that TX is all cowboys and cattle.

7 members found this post helpful.

I get the thoroughbred all the time.

-what breed of horses do you own?

-thoroughbreds.

-but what breed are they?

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    Yes, I third that! Pics!

For fun, this is my purebred mare: https://scontent-a-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/...93528163_n.jpg

Photo by Andrea of CU@X.

For all the "Arabians are crazy" talk, this mare is the BEST kids horse. She's teaching both kids to ride right now, and is soooooooo conscious of when they're struggling, and she'll stop if they start having a hard time. When I went to try her, I really didn't want to buy a kids horse just yet (I'd wanted to get the kids a few months of lessons first), but figured I couldn't afford to miss her if she really was as awesome as I'd heard. I was trying her in an outdoor arena situated right next to a road. As I'm cantering along the side bordering the road, a fire truck and ambulance go by with full lights/sirens. I pulled her up, thinking I was going to die, and she didn't even move an ear. Just went along happily doing her thing. She babysits both kids beautifully, and I'm so glad we bought her. Yup, she's built downhill and has a really funky right foreleg, but as a solid teacher/confidence-builder for the kids, I couldn't ask for more.
    *heart*

Any time you think you need to rehome her, contact me first!

Lovely mare! You know you can't post an Arab without a hint of it's pedigree, right?

Can you share the pic you used in class?

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Lyn Farms View Post
    I get the thoroughbred all the time.

-what breed of horses do you own?

-thoroughbreds.

-but what breed are they?
    In their defense, thoroughbred does has multiple meanings. While Thoroughbred refers to a specific breed of horse, thoroughbred refers to an animal (cat, dog, horse etc) being purebred.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartsongHorses View Post
    Lovely mare! You know you can't post an Arab without a hint of it's pedigree, right?

Can you share the pic you used in class?

This is her pedigree: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/jc+delaney+bey

I still need to send her papers in, it's been a REALLY busy few weeks. I can't begin to say how much I love this mare. She keeps my super adventurous son out of trouble, and builds the confidence for my kid who is completely terrified of this whole horse thing.

The picture I used (with edits done by my friend, I'm still terrified to edit in case I screw things up): http://i.imgur.com/XOy1VIM.jpg

The slight motion blur is intentional in this shot (the assignment was working with motion blur).

For fun, combo motion blur and panning (this pic is completely unedited): http://i.imgur.com/LN4X3CF.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out the DSLR thing. I have to take photography for my major, and I kind of enjoy it, but I'm really struggling to figure out this exposure thing.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    My daughter has a similar story, but a sad one. In an African culture class, a student didn't believe there were cities in Africa. She thought all the "natives" lived in huts. College level. Scary.
    Well, that's why you get an education, to learn that stuff.

Too bad she didn't learn it before, but at least she got it now.

btw, wasn't an SEC school, was it? (Sorry, couldn't resist).

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sempiternal View Post
    In their defense, thoroughbred does has multiple meanings. While Thoroughbred refers to a specific breed of horse, thoroughbred refers to an animal (cat, dog, horse etc) being purebred.
    I do believe you are incorrect. The word Thoroughbred DOES refer to a horse breed however due to misuse of the English language AND non horsemen they have tried to apply it to dogs ,.

As a person who bred Afghan Hounds and showed them, the people in the show ring know Thoroughbred is NOT to be used in place of purebred

However we also have people advertise the foal for sale is OUT of their stallion (rather than mare)

Also, dog owners who will claim their poodle was ruined by the mongrel male who bred her as she will never be able to produce a purebred poodle ever again.

There are also groups within Islam who believe a woman is ruined after she "has been bred....ie rape or by a male NOT of the fathers choosing

Just because many people make a statement, it does not mean it is correct.

TB is a breed of horse...Purebred is the geneology of that horse or any other animal

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sempiternal View Post
    No, it doesn't.