The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 56
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2011
    Posts
    1,555

    Default There are no Arabians in America...

    For a project for my photography class, I elected to shoot some photos at the local Arab show last weekend. We're supposed to select one photo from each project for class critique, so I selected one from the PB Mounted Native costume. I explained what the event was, which resulted in the following conversation with one of my classmates:

    "But there aren't any Arabians in America."

    "All of mine are Arabian bred."

    "But they're crossed with something."

    "Two of them are half-Arabians, but the third is a purebred."

    "But they're not REAL Arabians."

    "I have DNA testing to confirm the parentage on my purebred..."

    "I mean the real Arabians. You know, the ones owned by the people who live in tents."

    *headdesk*

    And he knows all this because his uncle owns the "whatchamacallits, those horses that race in the Kentucky Derby."


    7 members found this post helpful.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2005
    Location
    washington state
    Posts
    10,142

    Default

    Um. Does sleeping in tents at Arab shows count?

    What a doof.
    The Knotted Pony

    Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.


    8 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May. 20, 2005
    Location
    Desert Southwest
    Posts
    6,424

    Default

    Hahahahaha!

    He probably confuses the terms "purebred" and "thoroughbred", too.

    You can't fix stupid!


    8 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    24,468

    Default

    My daughter has a similar story, but a sad one. In an African culture class, a student didn't believe there were cities in Africa. She thought all the "natives" lived in huts. College level. Scary.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/


    11 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct. 5, 2007
    Posts
    339

    Default

    Well, my Bakkir was as pure Arabian as the come. Royally bred and yes he would have entered any tent - if I asked him to. He would also have happily followed me into my house. He was a very in your pocket type of horse.

    There is a shortage of Arabians in Ontario. But that is because they are unpopular and people still over price them. Once people start being realistic about the breed (still 80's prices on mares) then they will make a come back.

    But just like some TB's you really have to know how to work with a smart horse. I found my guy LOVED being out on the trail seeing things, but would act up in the arena if I wasn't working him. You have to know how to handle them, but they become friends for life


    6 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2005
    Location
    washington state
    Posts
    10,142

    Default

    Pics please of Bakkir!
    The Knotted Pony

    Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan. 14, 2013
    Location
    Hopefully at the barn
    Posts
    432

    Default

    I agree, we need to see pictures of Bakkir!
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~


    2 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2011
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    Yes, I third that! Pics!

    For fun, this is my purebred mare: https://scontent-a-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/...93528163_n.jpg

    Photo by Andrea of CU@X.

    For all the "Arabians are crazy" talk, this mare is the BEST kids horse. She's teaching both kids to ride right now, and is soooooooo conscious of when they're struggling, and she'll stop if they start having a hard time. When I went to try her, I really didn't want to buy a kids horse just yet (I'd wanted to get the kids a few months of lessons first), but figured I couldn't afford to miss her if she really was as awesome as I'd heard. I was trying her in an outdoor arena situated right next to a road. As I'm cantering along the side bordering the road, a fire truck and ambulance go by with full lights/sirens. I pulled her up, thinking I was going to die, and she didn't even move an ear. Just went along happily doing her thing. She babysits both kids beautifully, and I'm so glad we bought her. Yup, she's built downhill and has a really funky right foreleg, but as a solid teacher/confidence-builder for the kids, I couldn't ask for more.


    18 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2005
    Location
    washington state
    Posts
    10,142

    Default

    What a pretty mare! I love her subtle hind sock (its a footie!)
    The Knotted Pony

    Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    46,280

    Default

    I thought you said she was funny looking?
    More like neat looking and moving.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2008
    Location
    Greeley, Colorado
    Posts
    4,208

    Default

    The ignorance of some people and other culture's is disturbing. I'm pretty sure that America is one (if not the) most ethnocentric nations on earth.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

    Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate


    2 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    46,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    The ignorance of some people and other culture's is disturbing. I'm pretty sure that America is one (if not the) most ethnocentric nations on earth.
    The rest of the world thinks "americans" are all gangsters shooting everyone or cowboys riding into the sunset.

    Heck, plenty in the USA itself think that TX is all cowboys and cattle.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep. 15, 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,470

    Default

    I get the thoroughbred all the time.

    -what breed of horses do you own?

    -thoroughbreds.

    -but what breed are they?


    4 members found this post helpful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2010
    Posts
    2,996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    Yes, I third that! Pics!

    For fun, this is my purebred mare: https://scontent-a-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/...93528163_n.jpg

    Photo by Andrea of CU@X.

    For all the "Arabians are crazy" talk, this mare is the BEST kids horse. She's teaching both kids to ride right now, and is soooooooo conscious of when they're struggling, and she'll stop if they start having a hard time. When I went to try her, I really didn't want to buy a kids horse just yet (I'd wanted to get the kids a few months of lessons first), but figured I couldn't afford to miss her if she really was as awesome as I'd heard. I was trying her in an outdoor arena situated right next to a road. As I'm cantering along the side bordering the road, a fire truck and ambulance go by with full lights/sirens. I pulled her up, thinking I was going to die, and she didn't even move an ear. Just went along happily doing her thing. She babysits both kids beautifully, and I'm so glad we bought her. Yup, she's built downhill and has a really funky right foreleg, but as a solid teacher/confidence-builder for the kids, I couldn't ask for more.
    *heart*

    Any time you think you need to rehome her, contact me first!


    4 members found this post helpful.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr. 22, 2008
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Lovely mare! You know you can't post an Arab without a hint of it's pedigree, right?

    Can you share the pic you used in class?


    3 members found this post helpful.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov. 27, 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Lyn Farms View Post
    I get the thoroughbred all the time.

    -what breed of horses do you own?

    -thoroughbreds.

    -but what breed are they?
    In their defense, thoroughbred does has multiple meanings. While Thoroughbred refers to a specific breed of horse, thoroughbred refers to an animal (cat, dog, horse etc) being purebred.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2011
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeartsongHorses View Post
    Lovely mare! You know you can't post an Arab without a hint of it's pedigree, right?

    Can you share the pic you used in class?

    This is her pedigree: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/jc+delaney+bey

    I still need to send her papers in, it's been a REALLY busy few weeks. I can't begin to say how much I love this mare. She keeps my super adventurous son out of trouble, and builds the confidence for my kid who is completely terrified of this whole horse thing.

    The picture I used (with edits done by my friend, I'm still terrified to edit in case I screw things up): http://i.imgur.com/XOy1VIM.jpg

    The slight motion blur is intentional in this shot (the assignment was working with motion blur).

    For fun, combo motion blur and panning (this pic is completely unedited): http://i.imgur.com/LN4X3CF.jpg

    I'm still trying to figure out the DSLR thing. I have to take photography for my major, and I kind of enjoy it, but I'm really struggling to figure out this exposure thing.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec. 29, 1999
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA USA
    Posts
    6,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    My daughter has a similar story, but a sad one. In an African culture class, a student didn't believe there were cities in Africa. She thought all the "natives" lived in huts. College level. Scary.
    Well, that's why you get an education, to learn that stuff.

    Too bad she didn't learn it before, but at least she got it now.

    btw, wasn't an SEC school, was it? (Sorry, couldn't resist).


    1 members found this post helpful.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun. 19, 2011
    Posts
    3,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sempiternal View Post
    In their defense, thoroughbred does has multiple meanings. While Thoroughbred refers to a specific breed of horse, thoroughbred refers to an animal (cat, dog, horse etc) being purebred.
    I do believe you are incorrect. The word Thoroughbred DOES refer to a horse breed however due to misuse of the English language AND non horsemen they have tried to apply it to dogs ,.

    As a person who bred Afghan Hounds and showed them, the people in the show ring know Thoroughbred is NOT to be used in place of purebred

    However we also have people advertise the foal for sale is OUT of their stallion (rather than mare)

    Also, dog owners who will claim their poodle was ruined by the mongrel male who bred her as she will never be able to produce a purebred poodle ever again.

    There are also groups within Islam who believe a woman is ruined after she "has been bred....ie rape or by a male NOT of the fathers choosing

    Just because many people make a statement, it does not mean it is correct.

    TB is a breed of horse...Purebred is the geneology of that horse or any other animal


    10 members found this post helpful.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec. 29, 1999
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA USA
    Posts
    6,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sempiternal View Post
    In their defense, thoroughbred does has multiple meanings. While Thoroughbred refers to a specific breed of horse, thoroughbred refers to an animal (cat, dog, horse etc) being purebred.
    No, it doesn't.


    8 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Market for Arabians/Half Arabians
    By Arelle in forum Off Course
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Nov. 15, 2011, 09:51 PM
  2. MSU Arabians?
    By RodeoFTW in forum Off Course
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Sep. 1, 2009, 11:09 AM
  3. Arabians In SC
    By sterling1 in forum Giveaways
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jul. 16, 2009, 11:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •