The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Picky people....what is your "thing" when cleaning your barn

I am doing a deep clean of the barn this weekend and I want to leave no stone unturned. When you deep clean your barn, what is the one big thing you just have to do to feel like you've truly gone the extra mile?

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Well.... not that I ever deepclean anywhere I live, but I am kind of anal about sweeping my aisles clear of hay fines.
    Which is counter-productive as I leave doors open and hay is on pallets inside, so fines are bound to be an ongoing problem.

IF I could do a deepclean I'd love to pressurewash the interior to completely de-cobweb the rafters.
    But as that would mean removing, then restacking the 200 bales of hay, ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Right now the "extra mile" for me is emptying the wheelbarrow of muck so all it contains are those swept up fines.
    Oh: and dusting the bars of the stall grilles
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Cleaning under the stall mats! Some times the shavings get built up under the mats and make lumps and uneven spots. It drives me crazy even though I know it probably doesn't bother the horses.

Drains. Clean out the stinking drains.
    Wash the wheelbarrow, muck tub and muck shovel.
    Dump and disinfect the grain bin. You'll be amazed how much grains dust is in there
    Yes, powerwash stall walls to be rid of fly poop and snot rockets.
    Pledge on walls afterward to make next cleaning easier.
    Clean out old meds from medicine cabinet
    Laundry
    Washed windows.

6 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Sansena:
    Are you willing to travel to clean my barn?
    Autumn is lovely this part of the Midwest & I'm a damn fine cook
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

11 members found this post helpful.

Mine's not really feasible if you already have your hay stockpiled for the winter, but it's part of my spring cleaning every year.

I have two areas where I store hay - one for this year's and one for last year's. I feed the leftovers from the previous year before starting on the new hay, so by spring, the "old" section is empty. I take up all the pallets there, rake out all the old hay and whatever else is under there, sweep the floors and clean, then put the pallets back in place and move all the hay from the "new" section into the old section. Then I do the same thing for the new section before I get my new load of hay. It displaces any critters, and helps keep the air space open under the pallets longer.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

3 members found this post helpful.

I thinki Sansena is the horse "FLY LADY"...

I love to wash my shovel.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm pretty particular about my Nelson waterers. I keep them gleaming, and it makes me happy. And my stock tank, too, but it doesn't gleam so it's not as rewarding.

I power wash my barn in the summer. That is one messy job, but it's the most satisfying job, too....all that brown water running down the walls.

Shop vac the cobwebs and dust everywhere. I mean, everywhere, top to bottom. Try to do it a couple times a year, and hit the closer in stuff more often.

Pulling the mats out of the wash rack, cross ties, and aisle and cleaning underneath.

Pull the light covers off and clean them, vac the lights themselves.

Power wash outside overhang areas. Never get to do inside as we always have too much hay and stuff I don't want wet.

Fans get get pulled down and washed off (sealed motor, wet area approved, not cheapie box fans ) about this time of year. I'll store one or two til next summer, but put one or two back up to blow out the smoke when my neighbor starts burning garbage Oct 1. At least this year they are waiting until burn season actually opens!

Before we bring in hay, the whole storage area (loft and some on lower floor) gets blown out or swept, all pallets picked up and cleaned underneath, and I usually find all the mouse traps that went missing over the past year!

Well, it's an old barn with dirt floors in the stalls (we had mats but not only are they really heavy, we found they just trapped moisture and cause mold growth under them) so a big thing is about once or twice a week I break up the stall floor completely, lime it, and let it air out before putting down fresh sawdust.

Also the stall walls are oak board and plywood--once a year thing is scrub and re-whitewash.

Best deep clean ever - remove everything. Power wash the crap out of the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sansena View Post
    Drains. Clean out the stinking drains.
    Wash the wheelbarrow, muck tub and muck shovel.
    Dump and disinfect the grain bin. You'll be amazed how much grains dust is in there
    Yes, powerwash stall walls to be rid of fly poop and snot rockets.
    Pledge on walls afterward to make next cleaning easier.
    Clean out old meds from medicine cabinet
    Laundry
    Washed windows.
    All of the above AND ELIMINATE the cobwebs!! I hate cobwebs!!

Clean everything getting down to polishing the brass tacks and fresh flowers Then kick back in your chair and watch them eat hay.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Sansena:
    Are you willing to travel to clean my barn?
    Autumn is lovely this part of the Midwest & I'm a damn fine cook
    HA! That sounds like a nice invitation.
    I'll keep in touch should the jones to travel hit me.

I've also heard a light spritz of Show Sheen will keep painted stall bars shining.

I would pull everything out of the barn, including all bedding. Clean out the barn, power wash the walls and floors if you can. Clean all Feed & tack areas and the tack as well. Soak and clean all brushes. Clean blankets and anything else not nailed down. Then put it all back neatly in its proper place and rebed the stalls. Also get rid of all cobwebs etc. Vaccuum and clean out windows & power wash them too. Clean any ventilation system or fans etc.

I have even been known to sweep the walls in the arena on occasion and clean the mirrors.

I love a fresh clean barn.

My trainer has her workers do a deep clean every few months, but her barn is relatively new and easy to wash. They just use bleach and hot water with rags. Barn smells a bit for a couple hours, but horses are outside, so no worries on their lungs.

The place will be spotless. Aisle swept, washrack clean, walls wiped down...but the damn fans still have layers of dust on them. Drives me insane. So if I ever get my own nice barn, you can bet your ass that "Take apart and clean fan blades" will be on my deep clean list.

On the fans, I blow them off with a blower daily so that keeps them pretty clean without taking apart. But mine are sealed motors. Wouldn't do that with the cheapies as I figure it would drive the dust in further!

Ever wish you could hire Hercules for a day to temporarily re-route a river through the place? I sometimes feel that way about my house. . . .

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Ever wish you could hire Hercules for a day to temporarily re-route a river through the place? I sometimes feel that way about my house. . . .
    Having seen even the pictures from Colorado, no. But Hercules would probably do a good job with a shop vac.

This thread has been really helpful. I'm headed into day 2 of the deep clean and I'm implementing some of these suggestions. Yesterday, I weeded the path from the barn to the arena and raked it, I had the grounds mowed and weed eated (or should that been eaten?). I don't have a pressure washer, but I do have lesson kids, mobile mounting blocks and scrub brushes, so I had the kiddos scrub the stall walls inside and out. I cleaned all of the feeders and waterers. I lined out all of the locker keys and have a small pile of them I need to go copy.

You know the "junk drawer" in your kitchen? Well, I have a room like that. It's a storage room. That's my nemesis. I've been avoiding it, but yesterday, I gutted the shelves, measured and refolded the blankets and have them stacked on the shelves. I threw out a tractor load of trash from that room (blush). So today, I'm getting the rest of that done. I'm weeding the patio and I'm definitely doing the drains and fans. I'm taking the shop vac to the higher up cobwebs that the kids couldn't reach and also to the window sills. I'm doing all of the windows (I cleaned all of the doors inside and out yesterday. I also have a tack room in another barn that isn't a junk room, but hasn't had any attention at all this year and I'm cobwebbing and sweeping it.

Please keep the suggestions rolling. I'm determined to have this place spit spot!