The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2010
    Posts
    2,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Shezabrazenmare - what a nasty post. You know, whatever your thoughts on how this should have been handled previously, this individual just lost her father and there is no reason for you to be such a...well...you know.

    Further, has it ever occurred to you that the OP perhaps wasn't legally entitled to sell or give away animals that did not belong to her at the time? If they were left to her in her father's will, that implies that they were not hers to sell or give away until now.

    Anyway, you are being a nasty jerk. And creepy, to boot, if you are scouring through the OP's prior posts and apparently keeping detailed mental notes on them.
    Yeah, what are you doing, taking a diary of every person who posts? Puhleeeze.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct. 18, 2000
    Posts
    22,414

    Default

    My condolences on your loss. As others noted you can refuse to accept the bequest. If you already have, I'm sure you'll do right by the horses. If some need to be put down, so be it. Better than than auction and a possible trip to the slaughterhouse.

    Best of luck to you and again, my condolences.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling


    1 members found this post helpful.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2010
    Posts
    2,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    sorry for your loss...but

    There is no law requiring a person to accept an inheritance

    if not accepted the horses remain an obligation of the estate
    Tread carefully with this though, in some states people used to be able to inherit others' debt. Don't know if that no longer applies though, bears looking into. I do know in Illinois you can't inherit others' debt, but don't know about other places.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  4. #24
    gothedistance is offline AERC Decade Team - 2000-2010 Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jan. 12, 2004
    Location
    No. VA
    Posts
    2,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    sorry for your loss...but

    There is no law requiring a person to accept an inheritance

    if not accepted the horses remain an obligation of the estate
    I third this. Let the estate take care of this situation. Not your problem.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    16,609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    Tread carefully with this though, in some states people used to be able to inherit others' debt. Don't know if that no longer applies though, bears looking into. I do know in Illinois you can't inherit others' debt, but don't know about other places.
    Not true, unless you've co-signed or are in some other way legally responsible for the debt or are continuing to use property that has a loan against it, like a car. However, if there are creditors, the assets are sold first to pay off the debt. Then whatever is left is the inheritance.
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/46308969
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant



  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    12,174

    Default

    My condolences on the loss of your dad. Sending prayers for strength as you make some hard decisions and deal with things.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2010
    Posts
    2,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Not true, unless you've co-signed or are in some other way legally responsible for the debt or are continuing to use property that has a loan against it, like a car. However, if there are creditors, the assets are sold first to pay off the debt. Then whatever is left is the inheritance.
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/46308969
    As I said, "I don't know". What I do know is someone I knew a long time ago went ass-over-teakettle broke because of their parent's bad debts. Perhaps they were tied in financially, I will never know the truth. A consultation with a good lawyer won't hurt the OP in any case as to what to do next. A television station's website is not who I would be checking with.



  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb. 28, 2011
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Amen to this. I just lost my dad too and while our family was not perfect, I loved him and a post like that would have been torture to me right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Shezabrazenmare - what a nasty post. You know, whatever your thoughts on how this should have been handled previously, this individual just lost her father and there is no reason for you to be such a...well...you know.

    Further, has it ever occurred to you that the OP perhaps wasn't legally entitled to sell or give away animals that did not belong to her at the time? If they were left to her in her father's will, that implies that they were not hers to sell or give away until now.

    Anyway, you are being a nasty jerk. And creepy, to boot, if you are scouring through the OP's prior posts and apparently keeping detailed mental notes on them.



  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 2010
    Location
    Texarkana, AR
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    Thank you all for your condolences. I was throwing myself a bit of a pity party. I am the executrix of the estate and its a bit overwhelming. My brother and I actually laughed over it because it was sort of typical of my dad not to think things through. I do know that he left the horses all to me because I was the only one who cared about them and would see that they were taken care of. If I refused to take them, they would all most likely wind up on a truck to Mexico.

    There are about 40 acres left in the estate. Under the terms of the will, my sister brother and I will each get a 1/4, my deceased sister's two children will each get 1/8. It is all to be held as an undivided interest. For right now, my brother, sister and I are in agreement to keep the land. If anybody gets pissy and decides they want to move for partition, the land that my house sits on is approximately 1/4 of the land and is situated so that it is easily partitioned. Its already been surveyed and I have evidence that my dad intended me to have it. So I can take that and tell the rest of the heirs to take a hike if I have to. My dad didn't leave many debts, most of it taxes, so there should be some money coming to each of the heirs but I don't know how much and it will take some months before everything is settle. I think he had some life insurance but I haven't found anything yet. To top it off, both my parents were collectors and not hoarder type stuff, but antiques and collectibles so there should be a pretty good chunk of change from the estate sale. One of the things my dad collected was vintage/antique western saddles, bits and spurs. It should be one helluva an estate sale. There is a local woman who puts these things on and I've already talked with her.

    My brother and I are getting along much better. My brother bought a mule last spring and that has changed his attitude toward the horses. He adores Bob and having Bob to mess with has improved his outlook on things. He has even bought hay to help out. The other thing that has improved our relationship is that he had back surgery in the spring. I was the only family member that took off work to take him to the hospital and stayed there until he got out of surgery and took care of him when he got home. I have offered to let my brother put a small cabin or trailer on the land that I will keep. I'm hoping he will do that because he can be a help and then he can keep at least one of the dogs.

    My sister's youngest son likes to tinker with old equipment and wants the tractor that was left to me. I am willing to trade the tractor and mower for the trailer plus some cash. My sister is agreeable, we just need to come up with a value for the trailer and the tractor. The trailer is a 16', stock type trailer with 2 compartments. It's about 10-12 years old and is in pretty good shape but has had some rust damage repaired.

    Shezabrazenmare, don't worry no one is suffering. I do have a decent job (unless the idiots in Congress persist with this shutdown). My truck will be paid for in November and there should be some cash from the estate. I'm lucky in that all these horses except for 2 ancient ones are very easy keepers and can get by on hay during the winter and grass in the summer. I will put down 2 of them soon, one arthritic gelding and a mare with health and temperment issues. Their issues aren't all that bad, but they aren't rideable, I don't have a real emotional attachment to them so I can't justify keeping them. I think euthanasia is the best thing all around. I will relist some of the others on the Giveaways as soon as I can. Since I no longer have to care for my dad, I will have more time to put into training the younger horses to make them easier to sell/give away.

    Lest Shezablazinmare thinks I haven't been doing anything, in the past 4 years I have sold/given away 16 horses and 7 donkeys. I have euthanized 5 due to illness/injury/old age and have had 2 die of natural causes. I have had 4 colts gelded. I have had horses listed as giveaways here and on another board. I will admit that these horses haven't been cared for to COTH standards or even to the standards that I'd like to have. There have been 3 oops foals. But I've done the best I could. Nobody is starving, their feet need work but we don't have elf shoes. Some need training but since I no longer have to care for my dad I will have more time for that. I'm looking forward to getting the numbers down to something that is manageable so I can provide better care for them.

    The final count of my living inheritance is 15 horses, 3 donkeys, 3 dogs, 2 chickens, 2 fish and a cat.


    20 members found this post helpful.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov. 16, 2004
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    5,525

    Default

    wireweiners...thank you for the update. I remember reading some of your posts a long time ago about your dads horses and I felt overwhelmed for you then. It does sound like you've made a dent in the herd and I hope you can get it to a manageable size soon.

    Jingles for you and your family in this tough transition.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jul. 13, 2011
    Location
    East Longmeadow, MA
    Posts
    3,139

    Default

    WW, hang in there. sorry you are in this mess but it sounds like it will all work out OK. Sorry for your loss.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!



  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan. 17, 2008
    Location
    Dutchess County, New York
    Posts
    4,018

    Default

    Me too, I remember those posts -- and others! I am happy for you that things seem to be getting a bit better, even in this sad time.



  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 2010
    Location
    Texarkana, AR
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    I'm bumping this up because I have the ponies and donkeys listed in the Giveaway section if anyone wants to take a look. I don't have a link to pictures yet but if anybody sees one that they are interested in, pm me and I will will send a picture via text.



  14. #34
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2010
    Posts
    2,993

    Default

    Maybe bump them in the Giveaways section?



  15. #35
    Join Date
    Mar. 24, 2004
    Location
    Pottstown, PA (East Coventry)
    Posts
    2,998

    Default

    I am guessing that she posted them to Giveaways but a Mod has not approved the post(s) yet so they are not yet visible.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)



  16. #36
    Join Date
    Feb. 3, 2000
    Location
    Nokesville, VA
    Posts
    35,043

    Default

    You say you are the executrix.
    Do you have your probate letters?

    Check with your lawyer, but I do not think you can sell or give away anything in the estate until you get the probate letters.

    I was the executrix for my father's estate (2008, NewYork State) and I know that I could not do anything except pay bills (He added me to his checking account) until I had the probate letters). I could not sell or give away anything until I got the probate letters.
    Janet

    chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).


    2 members found this post helpful.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness