The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy I'm an heiress Update Ponies listed on Giveaways

My dad died sunday night. In his will he left me "all horses, ponies and donkeys". But he didn't leave me any land or money to take care of them. Plus he left the trailer to my sister and gave me an antique tractor that I have no use for. I have one horse I need to put down, check the giveaways I have some nice project ponies
    Last edited by wireweiners; Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: update

Sorry for your loss.

My goodness. My condolences and best of luck during this time.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow. What a lousy position to be put in. I'm sorry for the loss of your dad and wish you luck in finding good homes for the pone's.

Many hugs to you
    and jingles
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I'm so sorry for your loss and that you are in this position. If it is any consolation, I'm sure he just didn't think it through all the way. I doubt he intended to stick you in a tough spot.

Can the antique tractor be sold to help pay for the upkeep on the horses while you try to find new homes for them? I think those can actually be worth a lot. You might consider having it appraised and placing it with an auctioneer (they usually take a percentage fee) that is experienced in selling such items. They can typically access specialized markets and get you good money for items like this.

7 members found this post helpful.

Depending on the tractor brand and degree of "antiqueness" it might be worth something. Check with local tractor clubs (they'll exist if you're in a rural area). McCormick and John Deere are popular. It would be more profit if you could sell it privately but an auction could work, too.

Sending good thoughts for you in this time, and jingles that you are able to get them placed soon.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. Best of luck dealing with the horses/ponies and equipment. *hugs*

Hugs to you. I lost my dad suddenly several years ago. I know first hand how tough that can be..
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

While I feel sorry for you, and for your animals, you have posted for over a year about your issues with your mother, who died, and then with your father and your siblings. It's hard, but it should have been expected. You have stated that you lost a job in the midwest many years ago, and so you moved back to your parents' property and got a job with the state. Then you said when you mother died, that you found out how much you were resented by your family. Apparently, what you thing they gave to you and what your family thinks they gave to you are two very different things.

You have a good job with the state, according to all your off topic posts about your family. Work out something. Pay rent. Get yourself and the animals in shape or put the animals down and move out. You had considered putting the animals down before, over a year ago according to your off-topic posts.

I'm sorry that you have to go through this now, but it is something you've touched on on off topic days. So it is something that you now need to do. And for the animals, well it is not their fault. But now they must suffer the consequences of your delaying decisions and not giving them away before now. Or working something out with your family before your father died, after you found out what your mother and father and siblings thought about you.

3 members found this post helpful.

to heir is human...to forgive is divine

sorry for your loss...best wishes with the ponies...he 'meant well' ?.

Heir's to ya!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    My dad died sunday night. In his will he left me "all horses, ponies and donkeys". But he didn't leave me any land or money to take care of them. Plus he left the trailer to my sister and gave me an antique tractor that I have no use for. I have one horse I need to put down, check the giveaways I have some nice project ponies
    This is something that people really need to consider when they write their wills. I know it has been touched on before but it needs to be beaten on again and again.

Shezabrazenmare - what a nasty post. You know, whatever your thoughts on how this should have been handled previously, this individual just lost her father and there is no reason for you to be such a...well...you know.

Further, has it ever occurred to you that the OP perhaps wasn't legally entitled to sell or give away animals that did not belong to her at the time? If they were left to her in her father's will, that implies that they were not hers to sell or give away until now.

Anyway, you are being a nasty jerk. And creepy, to boot, if you are scouring through the OP's prior posts and apparently keeping detailed mental notes on them.

66 members found this post helpful.

I'm sorry for your loss. And the situation in which you now find yourself.

Hugs & best wishes.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

i am so sorry. Best of Luck to you.

Nothing in the giveaway forum.

sorry for your loss...but

There is no law requiring a person to accept an inheritance

if not accepted the horses remain an obligation of the estate

4 members found this post helpful.

Sorry for your loss as well. But clanter's point it well taken. There is nothing requiring the OP to accept any bequest.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Sorry for your loss and situation. Hope things improve soon.