The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Craigslist score! free split rail fence! woohoo! now what kind of gate?

I am getting 2 different sizes of split rail for free (I love Craigslist)and am so excited. The smaller 2 rail is going to be used around dressage arena and the larger 3 rail I am going to make a lunging pen. Both fences are coming from horse farms upgrading but I will take it since I'm leasing and on a budget
    What kind of gates do you think I should use? I have plenty of 2x4s about 6' long I could do something with. Thought about tube gates but that won't match very well.
    What do you guys think/

2x4s would be a very heavy gate.

Wood would look nicer with split rail but making a good gate takes some carpentry skill. Buying something prebuilt is _much_easier.

Pros make split rail gates that mimic the look of the fence: http://www.blueridgegafence.com/asse...dbl-gate-1.jpg

We still have some split rail left on our farm and the tube gates look fine. Tractor Supply for $70. Won’t be giving our fence away it makes great firewood. Especially the posts.

For the gate, since neither would be a turnout area, a quick-n-dirty gate would be to have one section where there's only one rail straight across, and you simply slide it out of its "moorings" to enter/leave.

A very simple "breezeway" kind of gate like this would be super-simple to build.