The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by prudence View Post
    The latest:

AC4H offering a home if funds can be raised. He will fit into our program for teaching/education.
    Suuuuuure he will.
    Classic.
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by prudence View Post
    The latest:

AC4H offering a home if funds can be raised. He will fit into our program for teaching/education.
    AC4H offering "teaching" and "education"? Good Lord, that's absolutely ridiculous. Sounds to me like AC4H is looking to have folks pay for broker horses they won't have to give anyone or account for afterward. Those horses could ship to slaughter, and no one would be the wiser - so the broker gets paid twice for the same horse.

That said, I'm sure AC4H is enjoying all this free COTH publicity.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I would rather give my money to a legitimate rescue who is honest about the horse's abilities and physical problems, actually uses a real quarantine protocol and plows the money back into rescuing more horses. And then, doesn't send you a horse that doesn't begin to resemble the horse that was advertised to begin with.

I don't deal with frauds and hucksters if I can help it.
    I agree. While it's terribly sad to see the horses who end up on this site, this is not a place that i would support. I have first hand experience with a horse that was bailed from here and it was not pretty. Not just that he ended up there, but what happened after he was bailed and in "quarantine."

Send your money to more legit places. There are plenty of them out there. Or go to the auctions and buy the horses directly. Use your own quarantine set up so your horse is fed and doesn't end up sick. Or go to the track at then end of the meets and buy a horse that needs a new career. Every time you pay the inflated prices of AC4H you are giving Brian Moore the money to go buy 10 more to ship.

If you choose to support AC4H, do your research on them and go into it with your eyes open and your checkbook out.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

2 members found this post helpful.

Would you buy a car from a dealer who is being investigated by the FBI for wire fraud? Would you buy anything else from someone who is being investigated for wire fraud? Use your head.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I am amazed at some of you. If the kill buyer who purchased these horses sent them directly to slaughter, they are DEAD. Instead, the kill buyer recognized that these might be interesting to a legit home somewhere, so they are not on the truck, but are being advertised to possible homes. So, they make a profit. Who gives a rat's ass?

The horse now has one last chance to end up in a good place.

And they are not (at least not now) pretending to be anything than what they are - people looking to make a profit on horses they bought for cheap that might be worth more.

I'm not sure why this is such a big deal to any of you. The horse gets a second chance. Maybe it will work for someone. Maybe not and it ends up on the next truck. But at least it got another shot after the auction.

Many years ago at our local auction - where I used to go occasionally to look for horses being sold for cheap that I might buy and put some training on to flip - a kill buyer bought a truly GORGEOUS and obviously purebred 2 year old Arabian filly. There were no papers on her (and I suspect she was probably stolen because she was GORGEOUS and body clipped with perfectly trimmed feet, etc) and the kill buyer bought her off a truck before the sale started, thinking he could sell her for more in the auction and the guys on the truck wanted to make a quick buck.

No one bid on her and the auctioneer knew me and called my name over the speaker (I wasn't paying attention to that sale because I wasn't there to look at unbroke babies) and said "Rebecca, I know that you know a good Arabian when you see it. Don't let this pretty girl end up on the kill truck. You'll give $250 for her, won't you?"

I looked up and she was so pretty and sweet that, yes, I bought her. Later, I talked to the kill buyer and, of course he was happy that he made a slight profit, but he seemed genuinely happy that she would not end up on a Frenchman's dinner table.

And BTW, I sold her almost immediately for what I paid for her to a friend who rides endurance and she went on to a decent career.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

7 members found this post helpful.

I think the only time the system works is if you see a horse that appeals to you, you drag out the old MC, call, and you are a horse owner. You arrange pick up, you quarantine--and it's still a big gamble as to whether you win or lose.

Where you get in trouble is where someone is trying to arrange "bail," and the horse may/may not have somewhere to go. That opens the can of worms for all sorts of creative bookkeeping.

I'll bet that the majority of people who were satisfied with their transactions were the people that bought direct.
    Last edited by betonbill; Sep. 28, 2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: posted too soon

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    I am amazed at some of you. If the kill buyer who purchased these horses sent them directly to slaughter, they are DEAD. Instead, the kill buyer recognized that these might be interesting to a legit home somewhere, so they are not on the truck, but are being advertised to possible homes. So, they make a profit. Who gives a rat's ass?

The horse now has one last chance to end up in a good place.
    No one disputes that saving horses from slaughter is good. It's this particular organization that is problematic. Horses are "bailed" and then disappear . . . horses that are quarantined by them lose 200 pounds . . . or arrive with strangles . . . horses are paid for multiple times by different people.

There are many, many organizations that are far more transparent in their business practices who deserve support.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

5 members found this post helpful.

All the shady BS aside, the blackmail thing really gets on my nerves. I don't believe for one second that if they don't get $850 by tomorrow they will take $300 from the slaughterhouse.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    I don't care a whit if Brian Moore makes a profit... actually he, or someone, is making a HUGE profit if AC4Hs 990s are to be believed.

I DO care if a 'rescue' is advertising these animals and say [again per their 990s] that they don't make anything off the sale, when they in fact do [if they do].

Re what I bolded, what I think the KB sees is a cheap horse that yes he thinks will appeal whether cause it's a cute fuzzy mini [that his records show he never in fact ships to slaughter] or a thin horse, or... whatever... because I know that most of them are of the type he does not ship [per his shipping documents] and the only reason to scoop them up is to resell them [ because there are people out there who will mortgage their homes, and donate their vacation funds, and sell of their valuable to 'help' ] and NOT because he intends to send them to slaughter.

Which leads us to the other problem I have with the whole thing... a 'rescue' knowingly offering KB horses for sale with the 'the truck is comin' for them' threat, when they know full well that's not true [if they do].

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    She did say that one of his shoes was loose (and then proceeded to trot him on the gravel anyway—ugh), but I really like him. I'd take a chance on him if I had a place. He seems like a sweet soul.
    He's visibly off on the grass, as well.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I agree. While it's terribly sad to see the horses who end up on this site, this is not a place that i would support. I have first hand experience with a horse that was bailed from here and it was not pretty. Not just that he ended up there, but what happened after he was bailed and in "quarantine."

Send your money to more legit places. There are plenty of them out there. Or go to the auctions and buy the horses directly. Use your own quarantine set up so your horse is fed and doesn't end up sick. Or go to the track at then end of the meets and buy a horse that needs a new career. Every time you pay the inflated prices of AC4H you are giving Brian Moore the money to go buy 10 more to ship.

If you choose to support AC4H, do your research on them and go into it with your eyes open and your checkbook out.
    AC4H makes a joke of quarantine. They take your money and keep adding auction horses to the field. The last I knew, that is not quarantine. Thankfully the one I brought home from here was the only one on my property at the time.

And for the cute warmblood gelding? Let's watch him get added to their "program" (this cracks me up...program my *ass) and then lets watch him get sold for 5-10 k in a year or two to some unsuspecting person.

There are so many older, trained fuglies that would be perfect for the "program" she describes but she needs toe 16.2 hand warmblood. Give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    AC4H makes a joke of quarantine. They take your money and keep adding auction horses to the field. The last I knew, that is not quarantine. Thankfully the one I brought home from here was the only one on my property at the time.

And for the cute warmblood gelding? Let's watch him get added to their "program" (this cracks me up...program my *ass) and then lets watch him get sold for 5-10 k in a year or two to some unsuspecting person.

There are so many older, trained fuglies that would be perfect for the "program" she describes but she needs toe 16.2 hand warmblood. Give me a break.
    Well, thankfully it's not another stallion... :wink:

she had a boatload of minis for awhile there... she said they were her kids 'college fund'

AC4H broker listings were always borderline in terms of our posting policies, and with the current issues facing this organization, we're going to tighten up where "the line" is a bit more and not allow horses sold/listed through them to be posted on the site.

Thanks!
    Mod 1

8 members found this post helpful.