The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 12 year old branded Hanoverian gelding on AC4H. Looks fairly nice

http://www.ac4h.com/BrokerOwnedProgram.htm

They are now being up front about being a resale broker for the kill buyer. But I have no problem with that if it helps keep a few nice horses off the truck.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Adorable young TB, bay with tons of white on there too, WTC bareback, has a tattoo. Lame but seems sweet. Very sad.

1 members found this post helpful.

That gaited little mare would get my vote $$, she's across country though.

2 members found this post helpful.

Holy Saddlebreds! They have a ton, it seems like.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

That's the ugliest website I've seen int he last 10 years.

StG

11 members found this post helpful.

Agreed^^

2 members found this post helpful.

Agh, you made me look.
    And he's cute. But what caught my eye was the Dutch Harness Horse. Big boned chestnut mare, typical chrome for a DHH.
    Dammit. Reminds me of my late, great Galopin.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

4 members found this post helpful.

I'm glad they finally started representing themselves as what they really are.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkpony321 View Post
    I'm glad they finally started representing themselves as what they really are.
    Yeah, well, a few investigations from the Feds will honest a person up real quick.

I bought a horse (okay, a mule) from them years ago, knowing full well what they were even then. It's a crummy situation no matter what the "real details" are, so I was glad to get him out of it.

Oh man I did not need to look at that! I have no idea where that is? Probably too far for me!
    I would love a quiet (sound) companion/trail horse for my mare. Something I can ride, but also use for company. Of course, who knows what they will be like with groceries--can perk a "quiet" horse right up.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Deal with Christy at your own risk.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

15 members found this post helpful.

I got a QH mare form a similar 'dealer' this summer. He 'rescues' them from the kill trucks/pens. This mare has baggage but is 'husband/beginner safe' and hasn't ever offered to hurt a soul. I have zero regrets about buying her, it was a gamble but it's paid off so far.

As much as we want to hate what these people are doing I'm happy they are giving these horses a chance... which is more than can be said for the people that put them in this position.

5 members found this post helpful.

There are a couple of nice gaited mares and a gaited gelding that look like good prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernYankee View Post
    As much as we want to hate what these people are doing I'm happy they are giving these horses a chance... which is more than can be said for the people that put them in this position.
    But how is the former different from the latter?

The people who dumped them at auction where Moore bought them may/may not have cared where they ended up. They could at least have 'no saled' them. Something AC4H never has done that I am aware of [turn down $$ for the horses they sell for Moore].

The people who are hawing them for the dealer don't exactly send them to approved homes with checked references and contracts to protect the horse or do anything else to insure that they do not end up in a hoarder situation [as some did with the woman who was sending them to her local Humane Society], or onto a different truck to slaughter.
    They do about as much due diligence as the owner who took them to New Holland did. The only difference is that they ask a whole heckuvalot more for the horse than the owner that took them to NH got.

Meanwhile every overpriced horse they sell for Moore makes his business more profitable, while he still ships [last I heard] 2 loads to Canada regardless of what the 'rescue' sells for him. When you learn what he paid for these horses at New Holland and compare it to what he is asking for them a mere 2 days later.... well, someone's making a killing.

And the reason for all the ASBs is that they found an ASB rescue who will bail and take them all... like candy from a baby.
    Last edited by Angela Freda; Sep. 26, 2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: spelling
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    But how is the former different from the latter?

The people who dumped them at auction where Moore bought them may/may not have cared where they ended up. They could at least have 'no saled' them. Something AC4H never has done that I am aware of [turn down $$ for the horses they sell for Moore].

The people who are hawing them for the dealer don't exactly send them to approved homes with checked references and contracts to protect the horse or do anything else to insure that they do not end up in a hoarder situation [as some did with the woman who was sending them to her local Humane Society], or onto a different truck to slaughter.
    They do about as much due diligence as the owner who took them to New Holland did. The only difference is that they ask a whole heckuvalot more for the horse than the owner that took them to NH got.

Meanwhile every overpriced horse they sell for Moore makes his business more profitable, while he still ships [last I heard] 2 loads to Canada regardless of what the 'rescue' sells for him. When you learn what he paid for these horses at New Holland and compare it to what he is asking for them a mere 2 days later.... well, someone's making a killing.

And the reason for all the ASBs is that they found an ASB rescue who will bail and take them all... like candy from a baby.
    But why does it matter? No matter where the horse comes from, without someone buying it it will certainly go to slaughter, since the owner didn't care enough to no sale it and without buying it from AC4H it will go to slaughter. Even without due diligence, the horse has a better chance of ending up somewhere good than it did before AC4H got it. I understand that the business is shady, but that's not the horses' fault. If people are willing to buy them then does it matter where they came from?
    Last edited by Perfect10; Sep. 26, 2013 at 05:57 PM. Reason: spelling

5 members found this post helpful.

Actually in all fairness the horse may or may not go to slaughter.
    Being owned by a contracted meat buyer, it's chances are higher than average that it may go to slaughter. But it's not a definite.
    Meat buyers are first and foremost dealers. They deal in horses. They buy at very low prices ahead of auction as they come in or during auction if the bidding is low/no bidding *and* the horse looks to be possibly worth more than the dealer is bidding for it.
    The dealer then does (or has someone else do) a quick evaluation of the animal. That dealer then decides where the best possible profit is for each animal. For some with definite issues that usually means that truck ride. For others that might mean private sales at a mark up. For some, a different truck than the meat truck for running the Auction Trip: being trucked to the next auction in a different location and:
    *Being offered to another dealer/sales barn there individually or as a lot
    *Being run through an auction in the new location
    *Being part of a Truck Sale which is done in some areas by word of mouth

There are a few dealers that show up for truck sales up here, word of mouth lets people know a truck load of horses is coming in from either auction (which usually means from New Holland for this area...if it's going TO an auction it's going to Crowley's) or from the Midwest (also often from auctions there or a big breeding farm) or from Camp. (usually camp horses in August-October or from dude ranches or from trail places) People will meet in a parking lot or barnyard and bidding sometimes starts before the trailer is even unloaded.

*If* the horses the first dealer buys isn't going to bring profit from these venues, then they'll most likely either be run back through the original auction again or shipped to slaughter.

So no, many of the 'rescues' from here or other places will not be going directly to slaughter if nobody Buys Them Now! There just isn't any way to tell which ones will be bought by whom or shipped elsewhere or end up on the meat truck. All are at definite risk, especially being owned by a contract slaughter dealer. But it's not a definite death sentence, dealers are contracted to bring an exact amount of animals weekly or monthly (depending n contract) and they WANT to sell the horse outside of meat if it's being advertised. Because they make the most that way. And they can always fill a truck for meat even if every advertised horse sells every week.

Also, not every horse that goes through an auction with meat dealers present will go for meat. Auctions aren't definite death sentences...but that idea is promoted by rescues, dealers and auctions.

As always and in ANY situation: Buyer Beware. But for experienced buyers who can afford it and aren't being overly emotional about it; even with the mark ups it's a decent option for picking up animals.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

3 members found this post helpful.

I will say this for them...the girl riding is pretty gutsy, to get on a variety of unknown horses bareback in a strange place and w/t/c them out of an arena... (I wouldn't do it, and I even wear a helmet.)

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    I will say this for them...the girl riding is pretty gutsy, to get on a variety of unknown horses bareback in a strange place and w/t/c them out of an arena... (I wouldn't do it, and I even wear a helmet.)
    Gutsy, or not too bright?

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernYankee View Post
    I got a QH mare form a similar 'dealer' this summer. He 'rescues' them from the kill trucks/pens. This mare has baggage but is 'husband/beginner safe' and hasn't ever offered to hurt a soul. I have zero regrets about buying her, it was a gamble but it's paid off so far.

I totally agree. Do your own research and then decide if you want to take a chance on these horses. Some of them look really good. It's the owners who send them off, not the brokers or Christy who are the baddies here. If you don't want someone to make a profit off of the horses, do not buy from them. They pull horses out of auction that they think can be resold.

Since no one on this board actually goes to the auctions every time they are held and checks just which horses are bought by the meat dealers or not, no one really knows what happens to them. But it's pretty certain that a high percentage of them will be dead soon.

The Hano is cute but looks off in the hind .

I agree the rider is crazy to get on unknown horses like that. I have a feeling though the ones that are rideable are the ones they ride don that gravel road. The ones who went through "w/t" etc., by someone else earlier, are the ones they show a clip of later. Maybe. Or, she's insane.