The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New and Interesting Technology in Head Protection

Last week, a local high school kid died after head trauma during a football game.

A Canadian-based company has come forward and provided his team with these skull caps that have gel pads which absorb/distribute concussion. They are meant to be worn underneath a helmet.

Local news reports are saying they are suitable for use under any helmet, in any sport.

Wonder if they are something equestrians would be interested in.... Certainly a pretty interesting concept.

Would definitely change the way we wear our helmets, I'm guessing hunter hair and hair up inside of helmets would be out of the question, and that a low pony tail or something would be a better option to make sure the skull cap fit close to the head.

http://www.observertoday.com/page/co....html?nav=5047

http://www.nogginsport.com/
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a friend, Ralph Cornwell Jr who has devoted his life to preventing head injuries. His research (conducted primarily at VA Tech) shows there is more benefit in strengthening the neck.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Interesting.

What does this do re heat dissipation?

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Good question. I'm guessing it has some kind of breathability, since hockey players and football players are using them under helmets.

I've emailed the company for more information and to see if they've considered the product for equestrian sports.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

That was my question as well. I would think they would be very hot. Interesting idea though!
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Devon-Aire has the patent for this latest technology:
    http://www.devonaire.com/Devonaire-M...-pid-1340.html

A physicist developed the technology, after trying to improve bike helmets. I heard he is talking to the NFL now.

I started riding in the helmet, although it isn't my particular taste, because after I tried it on, I loved the fit. Nothing I have ever worn before fits me as well.
    There is a new version coming out in the spring, with the same technology and I like the looks of that one better.

Interesting. Wonder why they don't put the gel layer between the helmet outer shell and the Styrofoam lining, instead of wearing the gel cap, though I see how it would work as a retro-fit to an existing helmet. I have to agree it looks like it would make helmet wear even hotter. Interesting on the new Devonaire helmet, I saw their ad in Practical Horseman, wouldn't mind giving it a try and good price on it too.
    "My treasures do not chink or gleam, they glitter in the sun and neigh at night."
    ~Gypsy saying

Petstorejunkie- I'm a bit confused. How does strengthening the neck prevent a closed head injury or a concussion?

Devoinaire has a decent price on theirs, that's for sure...I wish they didn't have those grills on them, though.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Devoinaire has a decent price on theirs, that's for sure...I wish they didn't have those grills on them, though.
    The Prism, which comes out in the spring, will not have the grills. And, it will retail for $99!

The biking world has been a bit abuzz about another helmet technology called MIPS that is supposed to be better at absorbing impact from oblique-angle hits than traditional helmets. Back on Track is apparently working with it in equestrian helmets and appears to have a MIPS helmet (the Eq2) on the market in Europe ... but they don't seem to offer it in North America. Too bad -- it looks reasonably attractive and very comfortable (which the Devonaire does not)!