The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'd say Denny again. If we can travel back in time, Jack Le Goff or Steinkraus.

3 members found this post helpful.

Andrew Nicholson, the grey fox .

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jane20008 View Post
    Mike Plumb. On the flat, over fences, and in the barn.
    Mike would be an excellent choice for a week. His 'lessons' are non-traditional, in the sense that a lesson begins with 'Okay. Just do what I tell you to do.' and you go from there. He tells you what to do to get the horse going right and how to keep your balance and stay out of the horse's way. No tricks, gimmicks, drilling, or long theoretical discussions. Just forward and balance, and then knowing when you've achieved your daily goal with the horse.

You might not feel like you're getting 'lessons' but you'd most likely arrive home the next week and feel like a much smarter rider on a straighter horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

Klaus Balkenhol

JJ Tate right now. She's phenomenally effective for me.

Sally Cousins, hands down
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Would I be a complete outcast if I said for some reason I really want to ride with George Morris? I know he gets a lot for being tough but I still think it would be an incredible experience.

But of course also another vote for Denny

3 members found this post helpful.

I don't know. I would not want to share my precious week with anyone else and all the top riders mentioned have huge time commttments. I would rather try to find someone who would just be there for only me, all week. I think you can get fabulous instruction right in your own backyard if you look hard enough. People like Mogie Bearden-Muller, Dom Schramm, Sally Cousins, Jill Henneberg, folks like that -- I would want them to care about me and give me a FULL weeks' worth of help, not just 30 or 40 minutes each day and then the rest of the day consumed by other clients. Wouldn't that be cool?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Jimmy Wofford. But then he would probably make it like "Hell Week" and I'm not sure I really want to improve well enough to go through that

For those who don't know...Jimmy used to do a "Hell Week" in the off time before competitions heated back up. An intensive week of training. Lots of without stirrups work...crazy exercises on the lunge line...back to basics and kick your basics up a knotch sort of thing.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    I don't know. I would not want to share my precious week with anyone else and all the top riders mentioned have huge time commttments. I would rather try to find someone who would just be there for only me, all week. I think you can get fabulous instruction right in your own backyard if you look hard enough. People like Mogie Bearden-Muller, Dom Schramm, Sally Cousins, Jill Henneberg, folks like that -- I would want them to care about me and give me a FULL weeks' worth of help, not just 30 or 40 minutes each day and then the rest of the day consumed by other clients. Wouldn't that be cool?
    It's a fun, hypothetical question. A little bit like a "if you could ride any horse" or "I'd you could sleep with any actor" type thing. Relax....

Too many to choose from: Jimmy Wofford, Mary King, Denny Emerson ... do I have to pick just one?

hhhmmmm, there are lots but if I had to pick one, Chris Bartle I think
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Lars Petersen...
    Owned proudly by my horses and the Pony
    Blacky by Sandro Hit, Amica by Amidou,
    Sarasota (Princess) by Don Schufro and Daysie by Sandro Hit
    and last not least Kassandra GRP by Burstye Orpheus

Marie Davidson, in Florida.

She knows me, she helped train my horse before I bought the mare, and in addition to knowing how to teach (M.Ed), she had, and continues to have, great riding teachers.

She's a hidden gem.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Mara DePuy

Edited to add: I had an aha! Dressage Lesson with Mara yesterday and am totally committed to her being THE trainer for me. And she has totally immersed herself in my training program and is very specific about what she says I should and should not do.

Then I had a lesson with Wofford today and geeze oh Pete he fixed our currently roadblock, or shall I say MY roadblock that has screwed up our jumping over the past two weeks.... He fixed it in 15 minutes.... The dude is a genius!

And Mara is awesome! She can make my horse dance.... She's super gifted.

There are styles of trainers that we each prefer. Some are way too positive for me, though I have great respect for them... Like as much as I adore Sally Cousins, and greatly admire her raw amazing talent, she isn't tough enough. This is no secret. I told her that and we had a laugh.

I like a trainer who gives me NO breaks due to my age and who takes me as seriously as they do the up and coming 22 year old on the 17 hd import with a big wad of cash. I also want someone who will yell at me if I am being a total f*** up.

No one has mentioned Carol Kozlowski and I think she is very good, polished, smart, and tough.

Another I've heard great things about is Lauren OBrien.

I gravitate toward trainers who do not have a ton of students. Those with a ton of students tend to be overly positive. I know for a fact that people have left Mara because she is so honest and will tell you flat out if she thinks you're doing poorly.

I really liked George Morris but haven't ridden with him in 40 years. He got straight to the point and though I was only 17 the last time I rode with him, he did me more good than anyone else back in the day.
    Last edited by Winding Down; Sep. 29, 2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: More info!

Jorge Gabriel
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Lee Smith first choice, Brent Graef second choice

Oh man, so many. But, I'll go for the not uber famous - Tamra Smith. Did her clinic last week and she worked SUPER well with my mare and me!

For me, Lesley Stevenson or Sue Berrill. Both I have a little bit of familiarity with and both really really know their stuff.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Ok this is TOUGH, mostly because I'm not fully aware of all the past eventing greats.

If I wanted to go with someone international, William Fox-Pitt. However, I would LOVE to ride with Sinead!!