The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default well water and washing machines

This morning I was doing a load of barn towels and the washer flipped the breaker. I've about had it with my dinosaurs and going to start shopping for an HE set. But I'm worried because we have a lot of sediment in our water. For those of you who are on wells, how do you maintain your HE washers? Is there a CLR kinda thing for washing machines? Do they make HE washers with water filters?

My well water goes through a water softener and a UV disinfection unit before it goes anywhere else, washing machine included. I've never had a problem with sediment or even aware of that EXCEPT for just after I shocked my well and the water took a couple of days to clear up.

I have a Whirlpool Duet front load and have had it for at least 5+ yrs. Love it and then some.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I have a whole house filter for the well water. I've not had any problems with the HE washer.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I have always had a filter at the well. We used to have problem with sediment in the washing machine even with the filter on the well so we added a second filter at the washing machine. I haven't had any more issues since we added the second filter.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

If your well water is giving you sediment problems in your washing machine I am guessing it is giving you sediment problems other places too.
    Why not look into filtration like the above posters mention? Then your whole house/facility will not have to deal with sediment problems.

1 members found this post helpful.

Whole house water filter. zero problems with my 10 year old HE Kenmore frontload washer. also a vital necessity with the on demand hot water heater (sediment will mean an early death for those).
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

We are looking into leasing a whole house filtration system since we are only leasing the farm. They are a bit expensive and while worth the cost in the long run, we need to shop around some more. I have heard that the sediment can still pass through some systems so we are still looking at different companies.

It's really not that complicated. The one I have at the well and at the washing machine looks similar to this: http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...fr=yfp-t-900-s
    I buy the replacement filters at Lowe's.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

If you're leasing, put a pair of inline RV water filters on the lines coming into the washer. Flush them with a hose first. Easy peasy.