The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaricYawp View Post
    Not familiar with the ham story, but am familiar with the banana story. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Did_the_mo...ver_take_place

The ones I've seen tied are being worked on the extended side, not the flexed one, i.e. they are tying the horse to the 'good' side, not forcing the horse to bend towards the bad side. Kind of like stretching your hamstrings by touching your toes before you run. Perhaps this is different than what the OP is describing. Certainly the horses I've seen tied are not nose-to-saddle, they have room to flex and release. And they are supervised.
    About 30 seconds is the optimum time for a "stretch." Tying (stretching) for a prolonged time does nothing positive.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

The Ham Story

Mother is making an Easter Ham. She gets the pan all ready, heats the oven, slices off the end of the ham before placing it in the ham. Her daughter asks why she sliced off the end of the ham. She replies, "I don't know, that's the way my mother always did it."

Mother calls her mother and asks the same question, gets same response. So, finally Mother calls her Grandmother and asks why she sliced the end off the ham. Grandmother cackles, "You fools, because my pan was too small."

Doing things "the way we've always done it" just because that's "the way we've always done" it is not a rational choice.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

21 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    Wait, what? Just straight tied? What's wrong with tying up a horse in a stall?
    I believe they're referring to the practice of tying a horse's head to the top of the stall so that, when they're untied, the muscles in the neck are too tired to lift the head and the horse keeps a lower headset.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    Wait, what? Just straight tied? What's wrong with tying up a horse in a stall?
    One was no water or hay for the horse. Second was that the tie was already a foot above where his normal head position was so he could only keep his head upright so if he wanted to rest or move or put his head down even a bit it was restricted. Third was if he pulled back, which he didn't nor would he, he would hurt himself or bring down the wall if the halter did not come undone. I personally don't want my horse tied with no access to hay or water which was the main issue as well as lack of motion of his neck. I had horses that were tied in straight stalls but could eat/drink which is no biggie to me.

This woman also put stoppers in the auto waters so that they could only drink one little but so they didn't pee in the stall. Found that out when the waterer was empty on the third day.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

1 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=MaybeMorgan;7184678]
    Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post

FYI, maybe you have a different kind of baling twine, because the kind I use breaks pretty easily.
    Nylon baling "twine" doesn't break easily. I do think that the halter or breakaway strap or hardware would break before nylon baling string would.

The original old style tan or greenish twine will break fairly easily. Most bales in our area come with nylon now. Whenever I come across the real twine I grab a few of them and throw them in my trailer or trunk.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Some one posted this on the Western forum it is new coverage of the sad story
    http://fox5sandiego.com/2013/09/24/h...#axzz2fuq0Zjlo

I just saw and interview through the Facebook page. The owner is all smiles on camera saying to use the practice just don't leave them alone. Icing on the cake? They had videos of the horse before it was PTS bleeding and panting. Absolutely disgusting. Apparently this happened on the property last year too. Just wow.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Belmont View Post
    I just saw and interview through the Facebook page. The owner is all smiles on camera saying to use the practice just don't leave them alone. Icing on the cake? They had videos of the horse before it was PTS bleeding and panting. Absolutely disgusting. Apparently this happened on the property last year too. Just wow.
    That "owner" made me sick

6 members found this post helpful.

I saw the interview too and was aghasted.... "regular training practice" - BARF!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    I believe they're referring to the practice of tying a horse's head to the top of the stall so that, when they're untied, the muscles in the neck are too tired to lift the head and the horse keeps a lower headset.
    AKA: "hanging"

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    Breaking the horse.
    ... Breaking sounds about right...

Why bother to loose time teaching the horse to accept a saddle and a bit, when you can just tie him till it either stops struggling or kills himself?...
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    AKA: "hanging"
    Not always. Sometimes "hang him up" or "hang him on the back wall" just means tie up, with a regular length of rope.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

[QUOTE=SonnysMom;7186114]
    Quote Originally Posted by MaybeMorgan View Post
    Nylon baling "twine" doesn't break easily. I do think that the halter or breakaway strap or hardware would break before nylon baling string would.

The original old style tan or greenish twine will break fairly easily. Most bales in our area come with nylon now. Whenever I come across the real twine I grab a few of them and throw them in my trailer or trunk.
    Let me know if you are ever in the Fredericksburg VA area
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Belmont View Post
    Anyone want to bet the horse was insured?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Anyone want to bet the horse was insured?
    This is what I was wondering too? But I didn't want to ruffle any feathers.. 2 deaths of 2 very "well trained horses" seems a little.. much for me. How horrible!
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

It says that San Diego Animal Services is investigating. Please, please, please tell me that felony cruelty charges will be filed. This guy's abuse puts him in the big time.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

4 members found this post helpful.

I have been to this ranch, and I know the trainer who reported this (and found the mutilated horse), Bethany Wallace. This has indeed been going on with Mark Arballo for quite some time- There was just no evidence. Hopefully now that evidence has been found and animal control/fox news knows about it, Mark Arballo will be punished.

Although, on a side note- Not everyone from River Valley Ranch is bad. Bethany Wallace is awesome, there are just a few bad eggs at that place.
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

Quote Originally Posted by Megaladon View Post
    Wow! My father could totally write this exact same thing. He was facility manager, big hot shot trainer came in to teach everyone "how it's done" and ties the horse's face to the horn of the saddle, puts it in a stall and goes to lunch. Poor horse was drenched with sweat and ended up collapsing--so sad. Idiocy is what I call that. Those weren't the only heinous practices but my dad couldn't take it anymore and walked.
    Yup that is exactly what I found, Barn owner was totally in love with trainer, So nothing I said mattered. The trainer has been around for years and is very abusive and still manages to make a living! Go figure!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by cyriz's mom View Post
    I'm in North Texas...thousands of QHs in the area. About 10 years ago I was at a vet clinic and there was a young horse there (3 or 4) with a horrid neck deformity. Reining trainer had tied head to girth, then tied to wall and gone to lunch for an hour. Came back and horse had flipped, ruptured multiple tendons and muscles.

Survival was unsure when I saw it, but it could not lift it's head/neck to parallel to the ground.

Unfortunately, due to all the 2 and 3 y.o. futurities in the various western disciplines, we see lots of horses around here who were pushed too hard and are permanently lame and done by 4 or 5. And don't even get me started on the HYPP halter horses. ugh.
    My god! Where the heck do these so called trainers learn these barbaric ineffective methods from? Someone please enlighten me!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

-Amor vincit omnia-