The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Barefoot always been barefoot except for one season when she was jumping more frequently/on the road showing often.

I suppose I should specify she is not lame. She is gimpy walking across things like the not perfectly smooth gravel driveway, occasionally sore on the concrete. Softer surfaces grass/ clay arena shes perfectly sound.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

I'm in Miami, where we have tons of rain AND lots of coral rock, so I feel your pain! Venice turpentine, Durasole, & Magic Cushion are all great for helping toughen up the sole & ease pain, but IMO nothing beats Keratex Hoof Gel for protecting the hoof from excess moisture & not allowing the sole to soften in the first place. Best of luck!
    Topline Leather -- Unique woven crystal & gemstone browbands

Topline Leather's Etsy Shop

1 members found this post helpful.

Are her soles bruised? Your farrier should be able to tell you this. If you want some additional help you can post pictures (but also be warned that may open a can of worms ) My thin soled TB has been in glue ons all summer (from Ocala here). It's the only thing that works for her.

I have another TB that I might try that hoof armor on; looks interesting. I'm not ready to shoe that one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Pony really isn't a "pony" she's a 14 hand QH.

Also she has been sore off and on almost all summer. We have heavy rains and the ground gets soaked she ends up sore. Ground stays dry she isn't sore. So not a recent to fall issue.

She is on grass and hay and wears a muzzle outside if shes out more then a few hours turned out during the day in an effort to try to keep her out when its the ground is the most dry and the sugars are the lowest because of her weight not Cushings /IR.

She is also on ThyroL from early summer through fall because of her weight. Blood work has always been normal not Cushings or IR at this point.

Her body condition /weight have always been a struggle we've owned her for 11 of her 13 years and she always leans towards the rubenesque shape.

Just to head off the next question. NO grain 100 grams of a ration balancer 2 2x's a day. Yes I measure it.
    OK fine. You don't think it's laminitis except that everything in this post suggests that it might be, even more than your initial post.

Fat, muzzle wearing QH that is off and on sore all summer, and on ThyroL all summer/fall because of her weight.

I think the old saying is that there are only two kinds of ponies - those that have foundered and those that will. She sure sounds like the kind that might.

I have an APHA mare that is built like a stocky QH. She is rationed on grass because she gets fat, a cresty neck, and sore feet. I think it's laminitis, and so does my farrier.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm in FL too and have excellent drainage on my pastures (all horses on turnout 24/7) and for the first time ever am having the same sole tenderness issues on several horses. I have a great farrier too and he suggested a hoof hardener. I've been using Hoof Guard with Kevlar which I used to use on my endurance horse. (If you use it be sure not to put it on the frog.) I bought mine from OBS in Ocala. My horses seem to have improved, but then again it was dry for 2 weeks until yesterday.
    I'm blessed to have 2 lovely Arabs, an adorable Mini, a wonderful Dutch Warmblood gelding, and a classic Hanoverian mare

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    OK fine. You don't think it's laminitis except that everything in this post suggests that it might be, even more than your initial post.

Fat, muzzle wearing QH that is off and on sore all summer, and on ThyroL all summer/fall because of her weight.

I think the old saying is that there are only two kinds of ponies - those that have foundered and those that will. She sure sounds like the kind that might.

I have an APHA mare that is built like a stocky QH. She is rationed on grass because she gets fat, a cresty neck, and sore feet. I think it's laminitis, and so does my farrier.
    I know and I appreciate the thoughts. Her air ferness is why she has always lived a super NSC /sugar /calorie controlled life.

I will say again though that both my farrier and vet don't believe its laminits. I"m a vet tech by profession and they both joke I'm the first one to jump to the worst possible conclusion.

What I was asking about /for was products solutions for anyone who's seen similar. It appears by all of the other posters from FL that I am not alone in my sorrow. I was just frustrated that Durasole wasn't working as well as I'd hoped and wondered if there was a better peer tested product

It sounds like buy all the hoof hardeners /sole tough products throw them at the pony and see what sticks.

As bermuda above said she was greatly improved with the lack fo rain. We got smacked with a few storms the ground got wet again and she's back to being tender.

Next summer I'll just put shoes on her at the beginning of the summer. Being so close to the end I am just hoping to get through the next few weeks into the dry season.

What works for one, may not work for another. I have one that does great with keratex. He isn't super thin soled, but needs a hand when his shoes get pulled for the winter.

Another responds very well to Venice Turpentine, as he gets sore sometimes after walking on rocks. I find the VT to have more analgesic properties than keratex, but keratex does a better job "hardening" the foot.

Might be worth trying the VT first, as its pretty cheap and you should notice a difference fairly quickly. If that doesn't work, maybe shoes would help her cope with dealing with the wet environment without having to worry about constantly putting goop on her feet.

I would definitely try the Keratex Hoof Gel next summer before you resort to shoes. A sole toughener like VT, Durasole, etc., to get the soles nice and tough, and then regular use of KHG to protect the hooves from excess moisture, and you should be good to go.
    Topline Leather -- Unique woven crystal & gemstone browbands

Topline Leather's Etsy Shop

I find the combination of Durasole and Keratex to be the ticket here also for thin walled and thin soled horses. i also find the Durasole will treat the cracks and WL separation and help prevent "stuff" from setting up in there.

A boarder horse...a very elderly one at 36...has the best feet he's ever had with Durasole this year. She used to use some other stuff and his feet always stank and were soft and he was gimpy. I got her to use Durasole and he has no trace of smell or stink and hes the happiest he's been for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    And, if Durasole isn't helping your horse in all likelihood something else besides soft soles is going on. Could be abscesses brewing.

I agree. Durasole seems to really do the trick with soles that need toughening up. If the horse is not responding to Durasole and you are applying it regularly I would definitely be pushing my vet and farrier to explore other possibilities.

I had the same problem this summer. Horse has been barefoot with no problems but because of the amount of rain and soft ground developed soft soles. His soles are quite thick just flexible which you can see with the hoof testers. Mine was too sore to ride for a few weeks on and off. Both vet and farrier said it was the soles not laminitis or anything else. My farrier said he's been having the same problem with all of his clients, that because of the rain it's been a horrible year for hooves. I did have shoes put on because mine was too sore to ride. I used keratex on the bottom of the hoof (not the frog) and 2/3 up the sides of the outside of the hoof. I did this first thing when I brought my horse in so that it could dry on his feet in the barn. Then after grooming/riding right before turning him out I sprayed the bottom of his feet with iodine mixed with durasole in a spray bottle. I think the combo of all 3 products made a huge difference and 3 weeks later he was sound and his soles had hardened up. You could see a huge difference with the hoof testers. Next year I know what to start using before his feet get soft

Love Durasole. Are you applying it over and over again? The instructions mention something like 6 times a day at first. Sure, we all have lives and may not be able to do this...but, what I've done is apply it when you pull the horse out of stall/pasture (after cleaning and brushing off sole of foot). Groom body/face/tail/mane whatever. Apply more Durasole. Tack up, put my boots and helmet on. Apply more Durasole. You get the picture.

Let it dry completely between applications, but you can do them on top of each other like this, especially at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon13 View Post
    Love Durasole. Are you applying it over and over again? The instructions mention something like 6 times a day at first. Sure, we all have lives and may not be able to do this...but, what I've done is apply it when you pull the horse out of stall/pasture (after cleaning and brushing off sole of foot). Groom body/face/tail/mane whatever. Apply more Durasole. Tack up, put my boots and helmet on. Apply more Durasole. You get the picture.

Let it dry completely between applications, but you can do them on top of each other like this, especially at first.
    No because of geographic logistics she's only been getting it applied once a day.

I do like the idea of putting it in a spray bottle and perhaps mixing it with iodine or ease of use.

Some of our track horses get sore feet/soles from the track footing. We use a product called Ball Solution made by mctarahans. Big D's tack supply sells it online the cheapest but some of our local retailers here in south florida carry it. We paint it on the heels, and soles every other day and it usually helps the majority of the horses we use it on.
    Good Luck!

My IR mate is dry lotted now but last year when she still went out on pasture, she would act tenderfooted and have pulses after grazing pasture that had recent rain. I learned to keep her up for a few days after a rain storm. Of course that's not unmanageable during a Texas summer as it rains so infrequently.

I have had this problem with my TB mare this summer. She does have fairly flat feet, but in shoes she is normally fine. It has been so wet this summer that her feet have taken a beating. She was shod in mid August and her feet were almost soggy. Farrier had an emergency and had to postpone visit by about 5 days. She held her shoes, but they were starting to get a little loose(just her fronts) She was gimpy on hard surfaces and noticeably short on both front feet at the trot. I ran out and got some Magic Cushion and packed her feet for several weeks and they got better. The left front is completely better, but the right front has taken longer to get better. I had the farrier out a week after shoeing to check her, just to be sure no abcess etc. He said tincture of time. Many of the horses he works on had been having issues this summer. He admitted that he had trimmed her a little shorter than what he normally does due to the condition of her feet. I was talking to someone the other day who shows extensively and she gave a reccomendation for Sea Shore Sole paint. She said it helped with soreness and seemed to help feet grow quicker. I plan to order some this week.

I love Keratex Hoof Hardener and have used it for years here in the wet PNW. But I really think Durasole works better for ouchy or soft soles, at least IME. I tend to use Durasole on the soles and Keratex on the outer walls. Even if I only went to the barn once daily, I could apply it several times while there.

As as a side note, I really hate how every thread here seems to devolve into an argument. It has become a very unwelcoming community at times and I'm not really sure why. Gone are the days of "no stupid questions," that's for sure. I have to wonder if those with useful knowledge and insight into a question are turned away by some of the nastiness. I know I am!

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simbalism View Post
    I have had this problem with my TB mare this summer. She does have fairly flat feet, but in shoes she is normally fine. It has been so wet this summer that her feet have taken a beating. She was shod in mid August and her feet were almost soggy. Farrier had an emergency and had to postpone visit by about 5 days. She held her shoes, but they were starting to get a little loose(just her fronts) She was gimpy on hard surfaces and noticeably short on both front feet at the trot. I ran out and got some Magic Cushion and packed her feet for several weeks and they got better. The left front is completely better, but the right front has taken longer to get better. I had the farrier out a week after shoeing to check her, just to be sure no abcess etc. He said tincture of time. Many of the horses he works on had been having issues this summer. He admitted that he had trimmed her a little shorter than what he normally does due to the condition of her feet. I was talking to someone the other day who shows extensively and she gave a reccomendation for Sea Shore Sole paint. She said it helped with soreness and seemed to help feet grow quicker. I plan to order some this week.
    Simbalism I would love to hear how it works. Is Sea Shore SP the one with Phenol and Clove oil ? I remember reading a thread on here about making your own sole paint using those or similar ingredients.

I would have her xrayed to be safe and then also see how thin the soles are. If her soles are really thin I'd go to a shoe with pads to help her out. Keratox is good but I've never had amazing results from it. I haven't used durasole so idk about that one.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post

As as a side note, I really hate how every thread here seems to devolve into an argument. It has become a very unwelcoming community at times and I'm not really sure why. Gone are the days of "no stupid questions," that's for sure. I have to wonder if those with useful knowledge and insight into a question are turned away by some of the nastiness. I know I am!
    While I haven't posted here much, I have been a lurker for ages. I find that most arguments stem from the OP becoming defensive. Many questions on the horse care forum are going to end up with the suggestion "talk to your vet" because they are the ones with the education and experience. Often people speak with their vet last to try and avoid the costs associated, but in the long run it would have been cheaper then wasting money and time on products that didn't work. (Not necessarily saying that this is the case in this discussion).
    It's the same in the hunter/jumper and eventing forums, if the OP asks a training question and the response is that they should get help from a professional, the OP always seems offended that strangers on the internet will point blank tell them that they may not have the skills required.

Anyway, sorry about the novel, but I don't think anyone is being nasty here. It's just two schools of thought.
    1. Go straight to the vet/farrier and rule out major issues
    2. Keep trying products until one works or the problem sorts itself out