The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Blanket fat horse? or let her shiver it off?

I keep my horses at a trail barn, we have pasture board, so both horses are out 24/7 with access to hay 24/7. Our new mare is wonderful, but she is obese. We are trying to get the weight off her, she had no turnout for the past 4 years, as she was in a lesson and therapy program, and they facilities has no turnout. the horses are turned out daily to run in the arena.

So anyway, she is probably going to lose weight eventually. they were also giving her more feed than she needed. We are now only giving her a few pellets a day to make her feel like she's being fed.

She is currently shedding out her summer coat, but i do not see a thick coat coming in. I feel that she is fat enough to keep herself warm this winter, and i do NOT blanket my horses unless there is extreme weather.

I know that i do NOT want her to suffer if it is cold. She might still get a thick winter coat, but i don't know. Since she is plump, i am hoping she'll be ok. What do you all think? And if she is shivering, should i blanket her? ( i have not seen her shiver at all, but the cold weather is on the way)

If she is shivering yes .. although if she has access to hay and shelter 24x7 I cannot see why she would be shivering unless she got quite wet as in a freezing rain .. I am assuming from your post though that you would blanket for those types of conditions.

Some horses don't fuzz up as much as others .. I would think that if she has 24x7 access to hay shelter and a heated water trough she should be fine with a healthy fat cover.

7 members found this post helpful.

I think shivering is too cold for any horse. Besides just being miserable when that cold, even obese horses can become hypothermic.
    I see no issue with making her burn some calories to keep warm, but I'd draw the line at shivering.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

15 members found this post helpful.

Why don't you exercise it off? It would benefit you both.

If she is shivering, her immune system may be compromised and she'd be more likely to catch the flu, etc.

6 members found this post helpful.

Shivering is not the goal. Burning calories to
    keep warm is. My vet says he wishes more people would partially clip their fat horses like I do with my Shetland.
    Click here before you buy.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Effie1221 View Post
    Why don't you exercise it off? It would benefit you both.

If she is shivering, her immune system may be compromised and she'd be more likely to catch the flu, etc.
    We ride her as often as possible. Who said anything about her not working? She has only been here a few weeks. i assume the weight is slowly coming down, but she is still obese.

I have been known to blanket fat horses lighter than the rest to encourage them to burn calories, but not to the point of shivering.

Does she have an all access pass to grass and/or hay? I would limit her intake somehow, either with a muzzle or part of a day in a dry lot with a slow hay feeder of some type. And don't blanket her unless she's truly cold.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    She is currently shedding out her summer coat, but i do not see a thick coat coming in.

I know that i do NOT want her to suffer if it is cold. She might still get a thick winter coat, but i don't know. Since she is plump, i am hoping she'll be ok.
    Being fat is no protection against the cold (it does give her access to extra energy to burn to maintain body temperature) so I suspect you will need to blanket her eventually if she does not get a suitable winter coat - she needs enough coat to prevent wind chill, being soaked by rain or melting snow.
    You can just do a lighter weight blanket - she has to burn some of that fat to stay warm, but she is dry etc.

She should move more to stay warm, but if she's a very sedentary mare (which is sometimes pain related - are you sure she has no history of laminitis ie did you X-ray?) it may take her awhile to figure things out.
    How active is her companion horse?

Are you sure that her obesity is due to extra calories & not a metabolic issue (e.g., IR & EPSM horses can have considerable fat deposits)?

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Being fat is no protection against the cold (it does give her access to extra energy to burn to maintain body temperature) so I suspect you will need to blanket her eventually if she does not get a suitable winter coat - she needs enough coat to prevent wind chill, being soaked by rain or melting snow.
    You can just do a lighter weight blanket - she has to burn some of that fat to stay warm, but she is dry etc.

She should move more to stay warm, but if she's a very sedentary mare (which is sometimes pain related - are you sure she has no history of laminitis ie did you X-ray?) it may take her awhile to figure things out.

Are you sure that her obesity is due to extra calories & not a metabolic issue (e.g., IR & EPSM horses can have considerable fat deposits)?
    She is NOT sedentary. She actually runs around the paddock. there is no pain. i don't know where you got that idea..

I would never use shivering from cold as a weight loss tool. I would treat her like any of my other horses, monitor/lessen her feed and exercise her more to lose the weight. If she was shivering, she'd be blanketed.
    Kerri

3 members found this post helpful.

I'd blanket less, but I wouldn't let her shiver.

She is NOT sedentary. She actually runs around the paddock. there is no pain. i don't know where you got that idea..
    Given the excess of information you provided ...

In GENERAL obese horses are often sedentary horses.
    SOMETIMES these sedentary horses are not actually "lazy" but are experiencing pain.
    LAMINITIS is often linked to OBESITY in horses - the only way to be sure that a horse has no laminitic history is through X-rays, it is quite LOGICAL to ask if you did this with a mare who is so OBESE that you are considering allowing her to shiver rather than provide blanket/shelter ...

I can only guess that you either missed the IF & the ? marks

or perhaps you are unsure of their meaning ...

NOW I deserve your RUDE RESPONSE
    Last edited by alto; Oct. 22, 2013 at 05:11 AM. Reason: word displacement

13 members found this post helpful.

^^ Woah, alto, a little over the top! I didn't read anything rude in Nezzy's response to you. Take a deep breath and remember that it's easy to misread tone over the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    I have been known to blanket fat horses lighter than the rest to encourage them to burn calories, but not to the point of shivering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatappy View Post
    I'd blanket less, but I wouldn't let her shiver.
    I would take this approach. It's a sympathetic balance between burning calories and providing shelter for the horse.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kalidascope View Post
    ^^ Woah, alto, a little over the top! I didn't read anything rude in Nezzy's response to you. Take a deep breath and remember that it's easy to misread tone over the internet.
    You are so right ... only The Shadow knows ...

Or it could be the seemingly deliberate phRASe.phrase.phrase that has set off my (crank) seizures

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Given the excess of information you provided ...

In GENERAL obese horses are often sedentary horses.
    SOMETIMES these sedentary horses are not actually "lazy" but are experiencing pain.
    LAMINITIS is often linked to OBESITY in horses - the only way to be sure that a horse has no laminitic history is through X-rays, it is quite LOGICAL to ask if you did this with a mare who is so OBESE that you are considering allowing her to shiver rather than provide blanket/shelter ...

I can only guess that you either missed the IF & the ? marks

or perhaps you are unsure of their meaning ...

NOW I deserve your RUDE RESPONSE
    She is obese due to overfeeding from the last owners and NO TURNOUT for 4 years. She is not foundering, she is not standing still. She is doing great, just overweight. I had already explained this in the first post. I get frustrated b/c people come at me with all sorts of ideas that have nothing to do with what i asked, and they don't seem to read the entire post before they comment.

7 members found this post helpful.

No, I would not let any horse shiver. She may not ever get to that point however so this could be a moot discussion.

2 members found this post helpful.

I was surprised how my fatty lost weight after just a trace clip. I would certainly keep blanketing to a minimum--it should help. Good luck!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

2 members found this post helpful.

I would make sure you have a waterproof turnout sheet and medium weight turnout ready for her. Since she hasn't been turned out and this is her first winter outdoors it might be better to keep her covered and comfortable. Just make sure they are waterproof. Enjoy your new horse! I'm sure she is going to love her new lifestyle to spend time outdoors and be active.

She is obese due to overfeeding from the last owners and NO TURNOUT for 4 years. She is not foundering, she is not standing still. She is doing great, just overweight. I had already explained this in the first post. I get frustrated b/c people come at me with all sorts of ideas that have nothing to do with what i asked, and they don't seem to read the entire post before they comment.
    Sorry for my ill temper above - I had read your initial post carefully & was merely suggesting that she might have issues after her previous owner's brand of care, NOT that it was you.

Obviously I didn't communicate very well

No problem.