The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pentosan loading and maintenance dose

Hi.

For everyone that has used or is using Pentosan, what is the loading dose and maintenance dose?

Thank You.

The vet I work for prescribes a dose of 6mg/kg once a week for 4-5 weeks, then once a month after that.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

Same as above, but I found that I had to stay at once a week to keep my guy comfortable.

I did the same as the others but I may start giving it twice a month maintenance.

Every 3 weeks for Sophie
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I did the same loading, and now 6cc every 2 weeks.

Only slightly off topic--is it available now?

Administer at a dose rate of 3 mg/kg bodyweight (1.5 g / 500 kg horse), by intramuscular injection, at 5 - 7 day intervals for four injections.

250 mg/ml. So your "average" 500 kg horse would be 6 ml.

Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    The vet I work for prescribes a dose of 6mg/kg once a week for 4-5 weeks, then once a month after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermein View Post
    Only slightly off topic--is it available now?
    Others may have better information, but this is what my vet was told by Wyckliffe. Since the supplier cannot keep up with demand, they are rotating who gets a shipment.

If that is true, at any given time there is a pharmacy getting a shipment, but you have to track down which one. Wyckliffe has not had it since August. I have read on CotH that Prerace manages to keep it in stock, but I have also read some things on CotH that make me nervous about buying from Prerace, while others buy there and love it (do a search).

I got a phone call from Wedgewood last week that they had plenty in stock now. Not sure if that's still true!

Quote Originally Posted by gumshoe View Post
    Administer at a dose rate of 3 mg/kg bodyweight (1.5 g / 500 kg horse), by intramuscular injection, at 5 - 7 day intervals for four injections.

250 mg/ml. So your "average" 500 kg horse would be 6 ml.
    By the way, 500 kilos is a fairly small horse.

For Pentosan 250 mg/ml concentration, here's how to figure the correct dosage.

Multiply your horse's weight in kilograms x 3
    Divide by 250
    Result is the number of CCs

My bigger horse weighs about 1400 pounds, or 635 kilos.

635 x 3 = 1903 / 250 = 7.6 CCs

500 kg is 1100 lb and the reason I said "average" in quotations.

The amount given above is double the recommended. 6 mg/kg is double. Is this really what is being recommended by a vet?

My vet just left me a new bottle from Wyckliffe. Apparently they now have it in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by gumshoe View Post
    500 kg is 1100 lb and the reason I said "average" in quotations.
    Yes, that's what I figured. I only pointed out that 500 kilos is fairly small for the benefit of those with bigger horses. A lot of people just automatically give the 6 cc dose, which is less than recommended for a great number of horses. I used to assume my horses weighed 1,000 - 1100 pounds -- until they stood on a scale. My smallest one is 15.2 QH type, not fat or super hefty, and she last weighed in at 1283 lbs.

As a side note....I have been using Pentosan from wedgewood for the last year. When I clipped my gelding this October for the winter he had two discolored 'stain' like patches of hair on either side of his neck (injection sites). Tossed the bottle. Not too sure if I'm going to be ordering again... Kinda weird, vet had no real answers for me

I've heard, not sure if it's true, that pentosan doesn't do anything unless you give "loading doses", namely, once a week for four weeks. You can take a break between loading doses until symptoms start to re-appear, at which point you're supposed to re-do the "loading dose" in full. Because it's not a "loading dose", it's the dose. If you just give one shot, and stop for four weeks, it never reaches therapeutic levels.

Not sure how true that is.

You have to do the 4 week loading dose. Some may not require it again for 6 months. Mine has been comfortably going for 9 weeks on just the loading dose. But when he starts to get hitchy again, another 4 week loading dose will be required. You can do the 4 loading doses and then give another every other week, every 3 weeks or whatever suits. Depends on how comfortable your horse stays, I think. But if you do what I've done, the horse stays comfortable for months, then is uncomfortable, you have to do the loading dose again.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseKrazy View Post
    As a side note....I have been using Pentosan from wedgewood for the last year. When I clipped my gelding this October for the winter he had two discolored 'stain' like patches of hair on either side of his neck (injection sites). Tossed the bottle. Not too sure if I'm going to be ordering again... Kinda weird, vet had no real answers for me
    How bizarre, as I've been meaning to start a thread about my horses' funky spots. I had a "bad" bottle from Wedgewood that gave 3 horses large lumps at the injection site. This was after all had been given the same stuff from Wedgewood and been fine (the lumps were the first time I used the third bottle from them, if that makes sense). Not abscesses, but flat, maybe 3"x4" or more lumps and they were all sore for a few days. My vet had me discontinue and contacted Wedgewood, who got the bottle back to "test" and couldn't send me a new one since that was when the big shortage started.

So I gave the pentosan from Horse Pre Race and some from Wyckliffe after that, other side of neck, no problems.

The lumps were back in July, I think. Start noticing in September that one horse has a weird spot on neck. Thought he was rubbing. Then see they ALL have them, exactly where they had the injection site lumps! As winter hair has come in, they all have these odd, short haired, light colored spots, with a ring of darker hair around it. All are bay, varying degrees of darkness, and these things still show up now 3 months later!

And like you, my vet has no answer. Had not heard of anything like this. I have a new bottle from Wedgewood (obtained recently) but I'm reluctant to use it now that someone else has reported the same thing. And sounds like you didn't have the scary lumps?! Geez...what the heck would do this?!

^^^ my bottle was my first bottle and it was from October of 2012, if that helps. I have two refills but am hesitant to use them... Maybe they fixed their compounding issues?

My horse is doing so well on Wedgewood Pentosan I would continue to use it if it turned him into an Appaloosa. I agree that what you experienced is odd but it would not be enough to put me off the product.

1 members found this post helpful.