The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy Dang! My barn boots died

My Redback have completely died and all I have left are 2 pr of Ariat paddock boots to use for daily barn chores etc.

It really isn't that bad to have to wear the Ariats as they are very comfy on my feet BUT the heel on the Ariats is at least 3/4" higher than my Redbacks. Now normally this wouldn't be a problem but I haven't worn my Ariats in over 6 yrs except for the occasional time. When I have put them on I feel like I'm wearing high heels and wobble like a pre-teen trying on big sister's shoes!

I remember saying when I bought this last pr of Redbacks that I wasn't going to buy anymore barn boots until the Redbacks and the Ariats are all worn out! Guess I'm stuck with my Ariats for a while. One pr is virtually brand new. While I bought them from a fellow COTHer many yrs ago, I haven't really had the need to wear them so I would guess they may have been worn about a dozen times. The other pr have had a lot of use and while haven't been cleaned in an age and look it, they still are pretty sturdy.

I read on some threads how people are slamming Ariats as being poorly made and falling apart in no time whatsoever. I guess I'll have to wait and see if that happens but I kinda doubt it. I think I got some that were made really well.

I suppose with winter coming on it won't be long till I go to the winter boots but hope I don't fall off my 'heels' in the meantime. Actually I'm hoping that within a wk I get used to the feeling of the higher heel, but while my body and feet are adjusting, I just hope I don't twist an ankle or something more serious.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever noticed the heel difference between the Ariat paddock boots and a Redback or even a Blundstone and been bothered by it? What about it-anyone else out there as 'uncoordinated' as I am?
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Any change in regular footwear can make us walk like drunks for a while.
    The Ariats have a bit higher and more defined heel for riding, you'll get used to walking in them. I try to swap out my footwear often so I don't get too used to any of them, but for barn work in fall/winter/early spring I wear Muck boots, the flat soled ones. Not in summer because they'll cook my feet. I wear an old beat up pair of Merrel clogs in summer (those things have taken a serious beating for years now!) and those are higher, so when it gets cool and I wear the Mucks I feel all slappy-feet, LOL!
    My Ariat paddocks have held up great over the years, but they're older and may have been made different then? I also hear a lot of folks complain about Ariat paddocks falling apart, mainly zipper ones having the zippers fail. I have a pair of lace up winter ones that are...sheesh...over 10 years old. And a pair of zip summer ones with mesh sides that are only a year newer than the winter ones. So maybe at some point they changed how or where they were made?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Misty, You are so right. When I was still riding my horse (in Ariats) and wearing either Blundestones or Redbacks, the heel difference didn't bother me at all. But WOW, talk about problems now!

Funny, both pr of Ariats are the zipper kind but they are easily 10+ yr old to say the least cause I know I had both when I retired in '03. Course like I said in the original post, the one pr hasn't had any significant wear and the other pr, hasn't had any real wear since '06 when I quit riding. All that and I usually wear either a moccasin type shoe or walking shoe, all with very flat heel support.

Look out horse, I may have to start riding again!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I hope you gave them a proper burial.

I finally gave in and bought some Ariat Terrains, since my old worn to the nubbin Danskos are on their last leg.
    I now keep having heel pain when I wear the Ariats.

It is so very hard to get used to any kind of new footwear, wonder how horses get new trims regularly and not feel a bit off also.
    Last edited by Bluey; Sep. 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Edited for context.

No burial yet. It's hard to throw them out even though I know they won't hold water!

Actually, garbage day isn't until Tuesday so I guess they will get tossed then.

The Redbacks did serve me well though and, when the Ariats die (if I don't die first) I'll get another pair of Redbacks.
    Sue

Just don't mix the two pairs. One day, I was in a hurry and put a Blunnie on one foot and an Ariat Barnyard on the other (they look similar in the dark front hall) and then thought there was something seriously wrong with my leg when I was having problems walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Vesper Sparrow View Post
    Just don't mix the two pairs. One day, I was in a hurry and put a Blunnie on one foot and an Ariat Barnyard on the other (they look similar in the dark front hall) and then thought there was something seriously wrong with my leg when I was having problems walking.
    Believe me, I think I'd know the difference. The Ariat zip and the Redbacks are pull ons! Thank god my mud room is well lit!
    Sue

My friend wears Muck boots at the barn, but puts on some paddock boots when she rides. I always wear some kind of riding boots (paddock, normally) when I'm with horses, so I wouldn't know anything! LOL
    Proud member of the "Lessons & Leasing" Clique!

I have Muck boots but wear them about 3 times/yr. I really don't like them. Too hot in the summer and not warm enough in the winter. And they are a bwitch to pull on. I imagine if they were 1/2 size larger they might be easier to get into but not too sure if they would be warm enough come winter.
    Sue

I HATE it when my favorite pair of shoes dies.
    The last ones were a pair of leather, waterproof, Gore-tex Timberland hiking shoes that I did everything in, mucking, riding, hiking. I had them for at least 10 years. When they really were on their very last leg, I took them to my local Timberland store, put them on the counter in front of the salesperson and said, "I'd like the exact same ones please".
    No luck, of course. So I got another pair that looked like they'd fit the bill...Nope.

These days I'm liking my Ariats Terrain. Not waterproof, but I can do everything in them comfortably (I'm battling plantar fasciiatis and it's so hard to fin comfy shoes!), even hiked up and down a local mountain for 5 hours, with no ill effects.

Anyway. I feel your pain.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    These days I'm liking my Ariats Terrain. Not waterproof, but I can do everything in them comfortably (I'm battling plantar fasciiatis and it's so hard to fin comfy shoes!), even hiked up and down a local mountain for 5 hours, with no ill effects.
    Ariat makes a waterproof version of the Terrain. Ariat Terrain H2O I absolutely adore mine - wear them for everything at the barn, and when I ride I throw on a pair of brown half chaps over them. Even though they are waterproof, I haven't gotten too warm in them even on the hottest day of summer.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwoodsRider View Post
    Ariat makes a waterproof version of the Terrain. Ariat Terrain H2O
    Oh yes I know about those! But I found the regular ones on sale at a really, really good price that I couldn't resist.
    I'm glad to hear you like the H2O. They definitely are in my future, provided Ariat keeps making them for a while
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!