The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My mare had foul-smelling cow patties toward the end of being on omeprazole for two years. I added LMF Digest 911 and GI Support from Standard Process. Within just a few days, poop became more normal in every way - color, form and smell. And within a couple weeks, it was completely normal. Nothing else changed.

Now she's getting that, plus ground flax, and a low starch feed. All good.

My mare had foul-smelling cow patties toward the end of being on omeprazole for two years.
    I'm not surprised, since long term omeprazole/PPI use can cause hind gut issues. There are posters on COTH who have ended up with further issues from omeprazole use. Maybe they will chime in here. [or maybe you are one of them who has posted before, I cannot recall]
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwayu View Post
    This guy came from Nee Vocations and hasn't been on the track since last year. He came on pellets and was warned he was picky about feed. The only thing I can get him to eat is senior (plus he coliced) so the vet said senior was good for him. Won't touch a single thing if its wet. I tried beet pulp, alfalfa cubes, alfalfa pellets, rice bran, bran (got desperate!!!) , etc. You name it, I've tried it! He came on alfalfa hay and pellets and I switched him to grass hay. I don't have pasture here just sand paddocks. It can't be the sand causing it because he stepped off the trailer with cow patties and nothing has changed. I'm going to try the probiotics and the vet is coming tomorrow so I'm going to talk to her about the manure again. Our last conversation was to try the biosponge and succeed.
    Mine actually came from New Vocations as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedazzle View Post
    Mine actually came from New Vocations as well.
    When did you adopt and what horse? Did you have any issues?
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

No issues. Great horse, I adopted about 5 years ago out of the Hilliard, OH location (now moved to Marysville). It has been an ongoing issue with her. Bloodlines by Ago out of Mad City Slew. Trainer was Ivan Vazquez. She has just always had really moist manure and it never would improve through different grains and management. Finally about two months ago it turned explosive and pure water, except no smell (but she wasn't on any meds at the time). So we tried Probios in the tube, then a powedered med I forget the name of but it supposed to help gut flora, then BioSponge, then a different probiotic. She had previously been treated for ulcers the month before. Had her teeth floated. Then we decided to treat her as if she had PSSM and see if she was purely reacting to the sweet feed. Now she's nearly normal.

When I had one with poop issues I talked to quite a few people who had or were dealing with similar problems.

One's horse was reacting to alfalfa - 100% after the alfalfa was removed from his diet.

Another horse was reacting to flax - 100% after the flax was removed.

Another horse had issues with encysted small strongyles - was fine after several months of careful deworming followed by healing time.

My youngster was doing the cow patty thing earlier this summer during the first heatwave - turned out he was having temperature regulation issues and was simply cooking the bacteria in his gut. Manual cooling efforts combined with probiotics greatly improved his situation and it resolved completely when we got some cooler weather. The probiotics and manual cooling kept things under control during subsequent heat waves. Heat may not be your issue, but there are many ways to disrupt the bacterial balance in the gut.

Both the liquid omeprazole and alfalfa hay make my 2 horses have more loose stools than they do without either. Both are now on both of the foregoing since vet recommended putting one horse on omeprazole. (Not scoped, but because Cloudy may have "performance anxiety" like studs have.)

You can have your vet send off a fecal sample to a lab to see what is in there. It's not expensive and it is worth doing.

I've owned 3 ottb mares in my lifetime, and all were good eaters and easy keepers. So i'm not able to determine what causes a horse not to eat. But racehorses like oats, that I do know. I feed my horses Seminole feed since they love it. And I've never fed a senior feed. None of my horses,even when old, did well on senior feeds that some barns fed.

Have your vet send a fecal sample to a lab and find out if there is any intestinal bug in your horse that is causing the diarrhea. If so, the vet can then treat for that. If not, then start eliminating feed and grass and pasture and ulcers.

Not any help on the cow patties but if you need him to gain weight, a fabulous product called Amplify by Purina works great and it only requires about a pound a day to feed. It looks like cat food and most horses I know will eat it, esp if you mix it in their feed. In about thirty days, your horse will be plump! Look it up, its a great weight gainer without having to load them up on grains.

I'm bumping the "cow pattie" thread again! My OTTB has had cow patties all summer. Vet said it was due to rich grass. Otherwise, weight is fine. It's not "runny", just like a cow pattie. I've tried the following:
    -- FEC (normal)
    -- Panaceur power pack
    -- Probios
    -- Proviable
    -- Sand Clear
    -- Full CBC bloodwork (normal)

Nothing has changed the cow pattie texture. He's energetic, eats great, and great weight. He gets legends performance 2x daily, good quality hay and is outside 14 hours per day on grass.

Any other ideas, or should I just conclude that he's going to be loose in general? I'd rather a little loose than the opposite I guess.
    "I am still under the impression there is nothing alive quite so beautiful
    as a thoroughbred horse."

-JOHN GALSWORTHY