The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Happy horses enjoying their work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc978hbYGNg

So, are these happy horses?

They didn't like my comments and edited them out. I think it is a shame to do this just for entertainment - violating the trust of the horse and just basically pushing him here and yanking him there. I was told I was taking this too seriously.

These are two big time trainers, too.

Sorry, on phone and vid is "not available on mobile devices". Won't be on a PC in the near future.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

What did I just watch?
    Jer 29: 11-13

2 members found this post helpful.

WTF even is this?
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

3 members found this post helpful.

I appears to be the entertainment section of a clinic on 'communication with your horse'. I would tell you what I think these horses are communicating, but I am a lady

Well.... just because you can, it doesn't mean you should. And just because you (collective "you" - not a personal "you") don't do something like this, it doesn't mean it's wrong for others to do. Tasteless and senseless, maybe, but I have seen A LOT WORSE. Ever watched a barrel racing competition at a local show?

However, there wasn't any tail-swishing or ear-pinning, and while the horses didn't look totally thrilled with their riders' antics, I don't think they were abused in any way. It's not what I would do, but I'm not going to trash them for doing it when there is much, much worse going on in the horse world.
    Alis volat propriis.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Sorry, on phone and vid is "not available on mobile devices". Won't be on a PC in the near future.
    This is a feature of Youtube user-uploaded videos and is not going to be something that the OP, who doesn't own the video, can fix for you.

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, the bay one does look upset and confused. The liver chestnut one actually looks focused on the job and quite well trained. Is it something I would do? No. Do I think it is entertaining? No.

2 members found this post helpful.

It appears to be something they have done more than once looking at Guy McLeans website. Sorry, but the horses can't even hold a lead for more than a stride or two. Sure, there is worse going on, but these guys are portraying themselves as horsemen. These antics are not something 'horsemen' do to horses. Sure does not look like the horses are having fun.
    The chestnut is attempting changes, but never actually changes behind to the right.

I agree with BlueMoonCowgirl. I'm not in love with the song and styling, but that's just my preference.

Both horses look like they're in loose ring snaffles. No huge shank or port which would bother me. I'm not a fan of the big spurs and how much spurring they're doing. I would respect them a lot more if they accomplished that same ride with less spur.

I think the chestnut is ridden much better than the black horse. The chestnut is ridden mostly off seat and leg and has a light or no rein contact for much of the ride. The guy on the black horse looks like he's really hanging on the horse's mouth. Black horse is also getting a lot more kicks with the spurs.

While not a riding style I enjoy or something I want to teach my horse, I didn't see any indication of "abused" horse. The black horse was rather grumpy but he also didn't seem as quick off the leg as the chestnut.

My chestnut arab mare carries her ears straight back when we do dressage but has them up when I let her gallop and jump. Does that mean I'm being mean to her asking her to engage and be through in her back and I should stop doing dressage and only jump and gallop?

There are other videos of them riding and I don't have a problem with what they are doing or their seats and they seem to be very kind to the horses.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dotneko View Post
    It appears to be something they have done more than once looking at Guy McLeans website. Sorry, but the horses can't even hold a lead for more than a stride or two. Sure, there is worse going on, but these guys are portraying themselves as horsemen. These antics are not something 'horsemen' do to horses. Sure does not look like the horses are having fun.
    The chestnut is attempting changes, but never actually changes behind to the right.
    I'd have to go back and watch the video again, which I don't particularly want to do, but I think that at least some of the time they were doing (or attempting) tempi changes.

I'm sorry to bring this into the conversation, but I just can't help myself.

Another version of LMFAO freestyle ride. Yes, the horse is ridden tactfully and actually allowed to go forward. But I'm not sure if he's any less "pushed and pulled around" than the OPs linked video. Just the nature of riding a freestyle in a ring.

Bent Jensen- Dressage Under the Stars 2012

Spinnabey (chesnut) doesn't look too fazed. He does exhibitions fairly frequently, although this one definitely lacks taste. The black looks like he is being made to keep up and doesn't seem to be enjoying it as much...
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Sorry, but the horses can't even hold a lead for more than a stride or two.
    They are being asked to switch.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

8 members found this post helpful.

Is the bay really being asked to change while on a 5 meter circle? Not too successfully, if he is. He cross canters much of it. Chestnut may be being asked to change, but most of the time he does not change behind. Right lead is practically non-existent.
    In any event, it is in poor taste and just not something I would expect to see from these two guys - I have even sent clients with young horses to one of them for backing. I won't make that mistake again. They may have snaffles, but their mouths are gaping and just look confused.

Aside from the bastardization of classical dressage, and the horrible pop music, it really wasn't that horrendous. The guy on the chestnut seems to have pretty good hands and a quiet seat. The other horse looked like a sidekick with no bag of tricks and pretty much stood there the whole time.

Pretty sure the kick-pull-kick-pull I tortured my horse with as a kid trying to thread the needle at just the right time is no worse.

The guy that stands on the back of 6 sneering Lipizzaners annoys me far more.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Quality hunter, jumper, pony & equitation sale horses available worldwide, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

4 members found this post helpful.

I think it is a shame to do this just for entertainment - violating the trust of the horse and just basically pushing him here and yanking him there. I was told I was taking this too seriously.

These are two big time trainers, too.
    I think you are taking this too seriously. From your description, before I watched the video - I thought I was about to see horse high diving or something else extreme.

Best riding I have ever seen? Nope. Would I want to do this? Nope. Would I send horses to them? Nope (prefer to back my own - never hire "cowboys" any way) Do I think that the horses are being abused or in extreme duress, no way. I didn't see any backs get slammed, didn't see any faces ripped at... didn't even see any tail swishing or rolling eyes.

Go to a schooling show, or like someone else mentioned, a low end barrel racing competition - you will see things MUCH more gasp worthy.

5 members found this post helpful.

So like, now we're trawling You Tube down to 100 fathoms for examples of bad riding just to have something to pearl-clutch about?

Clear sign SOME one needs to "Get a Life!"

8 members found this post helpful.

If that's what gets your blood pumping, you need to get out more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

6 members found this post helpful.