The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ascarids in adult horse

I am hoping JB will see this question. I just had a fecal done on my 9 year old - healthy looking Morgan/Percheron cross and he came back with a 2+ and ascarids. The vet was surprised and I am horrified. I have owned him for eight years and been good about following the vets worming schedule, and I added doing the double dose of ivermectin. My vet suggested a power pack - but what I am reading suggests that may not be as effective as I would hope. Any suggestions?
    Sayeth Traum:
    I hate it when I injury myself trying to do something unspecified

So, having read many threads on worming I am thinking that it seems I would be more successful if I used Quest Plus, which I did not use last year. What do we think. I am a little worried because the vet recommended ivermectin for the rest of the barn, which seems a little useless based on everyone else's posts. Thoughts?
    Sayeth Traum:

My sense is that if you've wormed with ivermectin and the fecals are still coming back with significant worms, it's likely that the horse had/has encysted strongyles, which ivermectin won't kill. (It's possible that the horse has tapeworms as well, but they won't show up on a fecal; ivermectin alone won't kill tapes).

QuestPlus would get the encysted strongyles (or all but one phase of them), plus the adults, plus the tapeworms. It would probably be more effective against the encysted strongyles than would a Panacur Powerpack, and the praziquantal in QuestPlus is effective against tapeworms while the Powerpack will do nothing against tapeworms.

QuestPlus is also a lot easier to administer to the horse.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

I get the feeling from recent literature that ivermectin varies widely in effectiveness by location. In some areas there's almost no resistance and in other areas it's practically useless.

I would, however, trust your vet over anything you read online. The best thing to do would be to follow the vet's suggested treatment and then run another fecal. Quite unusual for an adult to have ascarids... are they sure they didn't get samples mixed up?

My adult horse had ascarids when I got him as well. There is a drug that is supposed to be good for ascarids, but I don't remember what it is. Anthelcide?

Your vet needs to be giving you an actual count. That 1,2,3 count is nearly useless as it doesn't let you do any sort of reduction testing with any real accuracy.

In particular I'd REALLY want to know the ascarid count. It's not normal at all for adults to have these, but occasionally it does happen, and it might be a sign his immune system, regarding parasite control, isn't quite what it should be.

Ivermectin and moxidectin have resistance issues with ascarids. The best way to take care of them is a double dose of pyrantel pamoate or, a bit less effective, double fenbendazole. To that end, a Power Pack WOULD kill the suckers, but you still have a potential resistance with encysted strongyles, and a very likely resistance with adult strongyles.

To get around all that, you could do the double pyrantel pamoate - kill the ascarids and the tapeworms, then in 4 weeks come back with Quest and get everything else.

What was the last thing you used, and when? Is this your Spring FEC after no deworming since the Fall? If so, I wouldn't be concerned about the chemical issue since certain situations can easily allow a load over the Winter. But, if you used an ineffective chemical for even a light load in the Fall, then it had all Winter to just increase from there.

Well shoot. I thought I posted on this this morning and got home excited to see the answers, and poof, no post. In between my posts I read through the other posts on worming and felt the fecal results were not going to really help. SO, I called the vet to get the number for ascarids, which won't really help because it is a 1+. I know I need to do the quantitative test next time. My next question (thank you again!) is, I did the double pyrantel pamoate yesterday, and will do the Quest in 4 weeks. When should i do another fecal? I will be sure to do the right test this time.
    Sayeth Traum:

if you really want to see what's what, then do a FEC 8 weeks after the double pyrantel, before you use Quest.

If you really just want to get things taken care of and don't really care about the count now, then you'll need to wait 16 weeks after the Quest.

The double pp will take care of the ascarids - very, very little risk if it not. It wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure though. But either way is fine - you just get more info if you do one between the double pp and the Quest

Thank you again! Quick check - am I Questing in 4 weeks or 8? I understand I will do the fecal before we do the Quest. I will say this, he is rarely motivated to move quickly, but after a lesson on Sunday, a spring shot and double dose wormer on Monday morning, when I went to see him in the afternoon on Monday he boogied away!
    Sayeth Traum:

I had an adult horse with ascarids; for some reason ivermectin wouldn't get rid of them but pyrantel would.

If you do the FEC before the Quest, then you should wait 8 weeks for the FEC after the pyrantel.

If you don't choose to do a FEC, then the Quest would be 4 weeks after the double pp.

The difference between 4 and 8 is that 4 weeks after the pp will lose effectiveness which will give worms a chance to mature to the point of egg laying.

Quote Originally Posted by x View Post
    I had an adult horse with ascarids; for some reason ivermectin wouldn't get rid of them but pyrantel would.
    That's because of the not all that new resistance of ascarids to ivermectin.