The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I've really got no "heartburn" with Moderator actions/inactions on the closed thread. I am more of a "free speach" guy than some other posters. Sometimes folks can let their fingers get away from them. We've all done it.

What's done is done. Let the dead lie where they are.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    How do you know they did not have alerts for several other threads?
    I realize you are talking about two threads, but I am guessing on any given day the mods have quite a few more alerts than we imagine they have.
    I would think that when you get a bunch of alerts for the same thread, you might think...uh oh, there might be a problem.

As I said, I don't know how the alert system works and I do know that Mod 1 was off...so they were going to Mod 3. I finally sent a PM to Mod 3 and it was shut down a bit later.

If that's what's happened, fine.

I would like to know what the policy is on trolling, quite frankly. Some people are allowed a lot more latitude than others.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2 members found this post helpful.

I would imagine that trolling would be a little harder to make concrete decisions on...How many times have threads been started from newer posters, with an unlikely story, and half of COTH buys it hook, line and sinker, while the other half is screaming "troll!"?

Certain times, yes, I think it's pretty obvious. Other times, maybe not so much? I'd rather deal with a little troll here and there than have the Mods get trigger happy and start banning and deleting left and right. JMO.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    I would imagine that trolling would be a little harder to make concrete decisions on...How many times have threads been started from newer posters, with an unlikely story, and half of COTH buys it hook, line and sinker, while the other half is screaming "troll!"?

Certain times, yes, I think it's pretty obvious. Other times, maybe not so much? I'd rather deal with a little troll here and there than have the Mods get trigger happy and start banning and deleting left and right. JMO.
    I remember being called a troll when I first joined. Trolling is definitely not as easy to spot as people think.

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh Barnrats!!!

I was going to read that thread on a cold rainy day.

Is it gone completely or just locked down and archived?
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Oh Barnrats!!!

I was going to read that thread on a cold rainy day.

Is it gone completely or just locked down and archived?
    It's on page 2.

Found it, _ Thanks K
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

I think a bigger issue than a newer poster who might be a troll/houseguest is the "some people are given more latitude than others" part. That's something that happens on many forums, with some regular posters having pet issues they bring up/get involved in over and over again, and if those issues are controversial...ehhh. But "pet issue" posters are also engaged by others.
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

Good point.

Anyone who has every gone to law school knows that "free speech" does not include crying "fire" in a crowded theatre. It's first year law school teaching. I did not see the thread, but someone sent the 3, i think 3, maybe 4, pages of hate spewed racism to me. It's 2013 and racism is alive and well in the USA, unfortunately. The racial epithets were not free speech. They were evil and nasty.

And nice to know that Villa Rica, GA, was involved in the big blowup. Not.

I vote that the TWH thread be reopened. Cothers have told me that the ASB that I used to like so much, Wild Eyed and Wicked, was killed, not by being "poisoned," but by being injected so he'd have those high huge gaits. Sad either way.

And what of the coven of witches? Do witches have rights, too?

http://youtu.be/zrzMhU_4m-g

As Mod 3 noted in the post that closed the thread, we were giving it a time out, as the posting that was removed, now that I'm back, was frankly the WORST I have seen in seven years in this position. Yes, folks it was THAT BAD.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I would like to know what exactly is happening with moderation on this forum. It was pointed out to me that the "Should We Have a Dog Forum" was closed down at 8:39, while the TWH soring thread and the racist rants were allowed to go on until 9:16 with multiple reports (and I know, because I made multiple reports and finally PMd Mod 3).

Why? Is it a glitch that the reports weren't going through to Mod 3, or is there another reason?
    Yes, that content was absolutely disgusting. Unfortunately, we don't have the ability to be actively monitoring the site every moment of the day, especially on a Sunday evening.

We received an alert re: the dog thread earlier in the day, and I assume that Mod 3 was working up the list of alerts from oldest to newest when she checked in that evening. The first of the racist rants was posted at 5:23 pm -- we didn't receive our first alert on it until 7:44 pm. Mod 3 began editing/removing posts from the thread at 9:11 pm and closed it five minutes later, banning the offensive user.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    I am wondering too. It seems like every time someone makes a post that even *seems* like it could be a subtle advertisement for horses or goods, it is moderated just about right away, yet trolls are allowed to walk to and fro all over the board and hijack threads pretty much unchecked most of the time. What's up with that???
    "Trolling" is a subjective term. One person's troll is another person's passionate poster. We can often receive reports from opposing sides of a debate with posters using that term to describe the other side. We try to give our users as much freedom to debate a topic as possible within our posting policies.

On the other hand, if someone posts an ad for a saddle for sale, that's pretty cut-and-dried.

We do not moderate (or not moderate) any thread or poster based upon perceived "hits" to the site. We've made moderation decisions that have been popular or very UNpopular with the community, and we try to make those decisions as fairly and uniformly as we can, guided by our posting policies and Terms of Service...not by web traffic.

----

It would have been fine to start a fresh thread for general discussion of the soring issue, but it's also fine to want to keep the information together on the same thread, and we appreciate that folks were respectful of us closing the other thread and didn't just reopen the topic if they thought we were shutting down the topic overall. I'm going to go reopen the original thread now.

And, yes, there actually was a time, many moons ago, even before the dawn of Mod 1, when the SHB forum was shut down!
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Sep. 17, 2013 at 04:29 PM.

5 members found this post helpful.