The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Moderator 1 - The TWH Thread

I am pretty certain it is not the practice of COTH to shut the entire Chronicle of The Horse website down for poor behavior and language by posters/readers.

I am pretty sure I have never seen any of the sub-forums taken down as corrective/punitive measures either.

The TWH thread in a way has become a forum within a forum for many COTH members to obtain info on the efforts in the TWH community.

Please give thought to its re-opening. Its positive educational purpose far outweighs the negative catty comments of the few who clutter its pages with personal swipes and foul rantings.

Thanks for your consideration on this.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

5 members found this post helpful.

Heck, no. Thanks for shutting that down. Should've been done long before it was.

9 members found this post helpful.

I agree. I didn't read the banned poster's comments as they were already deleted by the time I signed on.

This thread is significant to the horse community and should not have been closed.

Bookmark it for reference and start TWH 2.0

Life is simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

I am confused. They closed one thread. They did not say that you are not allowed to discuss TWHs anywhere else now that your one thread is closed. How is one thread being closed making it so people can not get info on the TWH community?

8 members found this post helpful.

Exactly.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleycane View Post
    I am pretty certain it is not the practice of COTH to shut the entire Chronicle of The Horse website down for poor behavior and language by posters/readers.

I am pretty sure I have never seen any of the sub-forums taken down as corrective/punitive measures either.

The TWH thread in a way has become a forum within a forum for many COTH members to obtain info on the efforts in the TWH community.

Please give thought to its re-opening. Its positive educational purpose far outweighs the negative catty comments of the few who clutter its pages with personal swipes and foul rantings.

Thanks for your consideration on this.
    I guess you weren't around for some of the fun times on the breeding forum
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHorse View Post
    I guess you weren't around for some of the fun times on the breeding forum
    You beat me to it!
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I stay off the breeding forum.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    Heck, no. Thanks for shutting that down. Should've been done long before it was.
    If you believe the particular night that the crazy, nasty posting was going on, I agree. It went on for waaaaayyyyy too long.

I would like to know what exactly is happening with moderation on this forum. It was pointed out to me that the "Should We Have a Dog Forum" was closed down at 8:39, while the TWH soring thread and the racist rants were allowed to go on until 9:16 with multiple reports (and I know, because I made multiple reports and finally PMd Mod 3).

Why? Is it a glitch that the reports weren't going through to Mod 3, or is there another reason?

Please do not reopen it. People interested in discussing TWHs are free to start new threads.

like I just did.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I am confused. They closed one thread. They did not say that you are not allowed to discuss TWHs anywhere else now that your one thread is closed. How is one thread being closed making it so people can not get info on the TWH community?
    that one thread had a huge amount of information all in one place.

Closing it does not make it so people can not get info on the TWH community. It only makes it harder to disseminate information provided in that thread. No reason to re-invent the when with a 2nd thread.

I didn't read the last blow-up in that thread, but it was probably past time to shut it down.

ANY thread that gets THAT long is just too unwieldy, regardless of content. Even some of the non-controversial, interesting threads get buried under their own weight if they simply get too long.

Please consider a separate forum for gaited horses. That way, the important info can be kept in one place yet the obnoxious threads can be more easily shut down. With more threads to look at, I think that the one single thread won't get torn to pieces as easily as people could separate out the various topics and let some threads just die.

Half of the western forum could have fit inside that one thread (by number of posts) if you want to look at how much interest there is for gaited breeds. As for the focus of COTH, well, gaited breeds do endurance, dressage, western, etc.

3 members found this post helpful.

The dead should be allowed to RIP. That includes threads.

The information is still there for anyone who wants to read it. Current event should probably get a current thread.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I would like to know what exactly is happening with moderation on this forum. It was pointed out to me that the "Should We Have a Dog Forum" was closed down at 8:39, while the TWH soring thread and the racist rants were allowed to go on until 9:16 with multiple reports (and I know, because I made multiple reports and finally PMd Mod 3).

Why? Is it a glitch that the reports weren't going through to Mod 3, or is there another reason?
    I am wondering too. It seems like every time someone makes a post that even *seems* like it could be a subtle advertisement for horses or goods, it is moderated just about right away, yet trolls are allowed to walk to and fro all over the board and hijack threads pretty much unchecked most of the time. What's up with that???

Simply a guess but it might be that all mods were busy, they get on and have a list of reports to deal with. The time between dog forum and TWH threads being closed was probably filled with going thru the reports in chronological order and reading the threads involved in the reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Curiously View Post
    Half of the western forum could have fit inside that one thread (by number of posts) if you want to look at how much interest there is for gaited breeds. As for the focus of COTH, well, gaited breeds do endurance, dressage, western, etc.
    I don't think a small handful of people arguing in circles really counts as interest though. Almost all of that thread was made up of posts by 6 or so people.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Simply a guess but it might be that all mods were busy, they get on and have a list of reports to deal with. The time between dog forum and TWH threads being closed was probably filled with going thru the reports in chronological order and reading the threads involved in the reports.
    Only had to read one post. And I imagine there were quite a few reports about the same thread.

I actually wonder if trolls are allowed to troll because it beefs up the advertising revenue due to the number of hits. I always wondered why the farriers were allowed to go unchecked for so long (even though I did find some of it pretty amusing), for instance. There are others as well.

How do you know they did not have alerts for several other threads?
    I realize you are talking about two threads, but I am guessing on any given day the mods have quite a few more alerts than we imagine they have.