The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I, for one am well aware of the differences. Not everyone is as ignorant as you presume. I had no need to watch the "you tube" videos and so didn't.
    Why are you getting snappy with Lady Eboshi? Not everyone is as knowledgeable as you are. I happen to know the differences very well, but you'll never see me set foot on a bull fighting ring. Sure, the bull are treated humanely, but the ultimate goal of the watchers is still to watch the bull bleed. There is some amazing horsemanship on the bull fighters or toureiros, but there's not reason why they couldn't do the same without hurting any animal.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

MY god, those poor horses. Sick to my stomach
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

1 members found this post helpful.

I am not sure if it has been mentioned, but bullfighting is not as popular, by far, as it once was. Plenty of people from bullfighting countries find it absolutely horrible and wish it would be banned altogether. In fact, one offshoot of this reaction is the competitions to show off bullfighting horses and how responsive they are on their own, WITHOUT any bulls. It's like Spanish dressage.

If I have time later, I will try to find websites. Someone else around here has posted them before, though.

I just thought I should point out that many people in these countries are fighting to stop bullfighting competitions. My friend lived in Madrid, Spain for many years and told me how unpopular bullfighting was there. It may even be outlawed, I don't remember. I believe Portugal was still pretty active but that may have changed, too.

My aunt and uncle lived in Mexico City, for over a decade, and when we visited them, I would ask about bullfighting because I was very much against it. It was very unpopular with city folks. and educated country folks down there. Maybe it's like some of the redneck things that are done here which are unpopular with the general public.

Anyway, if you want to help, contact the organizations in these countries that are fighting to ban bullfighting. I'm sure they would appreciate donations. It will help if you understand Spanish and can look up their websites for yourself. My Spanish is too shaky to be much help. I remember individual words, but I don't rememeber conjugating verbs very well.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

Could be microbovine, could be a "redneck" thing like dog and cock fighting in the U.S.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post

I just thought I should point out that many people in these countries are fighting to stop bullfighting competitions. My friend lived in Madrid, Spain for many years and told me how unpopular bullfighting was there. It may even be outlawed, I don't remember. I believe Portugal was still pretty active but that may have changed, too.

There's still a pretty active movement trying to stop bull fighting in Portugal, I can assure you. The problem is, this is still very much a sport of the elites here. Meaning there's a lot of people from old families with money trying to keep it alive.

The killing of the bulls in public has been banned by law, at least, and there's only a couple of small villages very close to Spain who refuse to abide by it.

On the other hand, we do have have this strange dare event where you have a bunch of people sitting at a table in a ring with a bull and the last to stay at the table wins. Some people from the crowd step in and try to grab the bull the horns in an attempt to imitate the "forcados". Note that the bulls here are nowhere near as aggressive as the Spanish bulls, but the humans are the ones in danger to get hurt here.
    http://youtu.be/QrBlK3Pr2Vk

Quote Originally Posted by Niennor View Post
    There's still a pretty active movement trying to stop bull fighting in Portugal, I can assure you. The problem is, this is still very much a sport of the elites here. Meaning there's a lot of people from old families with money trying to keep it alive.

The killing of the bulls in public has been banned by law, at least, and there's only a couple of small villages very close to Spain who refuse to abide by it.

On the other hand, we do have have this strange dare event where you have a bunch of people sitting at a table in a ring with a bull and the last to stay at the table wins. Some people from the crowd step in and try to grab the bull the horns in an attempt to imitate the "forcados". Note that the bulls here are nowhere near as aggressive as the Spanish bulls, but the humans are the ones in danger to get hurt here.
    http://youtu.be/QrBlK3Pr2Vk
    That's good to hear about a movement to stop it in Portugal.

The table thing sounds hilarious! I think fun sports to show off machismo is fine, when it doesn't involve animals getting mortally wounded.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Niennor View Post
    Why are you getting snappy with Lady Eboshi? Not everyone is as knowledgeable as you are. I happen to know the differences very well, but you'll never see me set foot on a bull fighting ring. Sure, the bull are treated humanely, but the ultimate goal of the watchers is still to watch the bull bleed. There is some amazing horsemanship on the bull fighters or toureiros, but there's not reason why they couldn't do the same without hurting any animal.
    I'm afraid I don't understand your comment. I would not "set foot" in a bullfighting ring either, whether Portuguese, Spanish, Mexican or in Timbuktu. It's an ugly spectacle.

I took exception with "Lady Eboshi's" (rather snidely put , I thought) presumption that people on this board were ignorant and needed her to explain the differences between Portuguese and Spanish bullfighting. That's all..

Perhaps I'm cranky from lack of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I'm afraid I don't understand your comment. I would not "set foot" in a bullfighting ring either, whether Portuguese, Spanish, Mexican or in Timbuktu. It's an ugly spectacle.

I took exception with "Lady Eboshi's" (rather snidely put , I thought) presumption that people on this board were ignorant and needed her to explain the differences between Portuguese and Spanish bullfighting. That's all..

Perhaps I'm cranky from lack of sleep.
    Hey, who's not cranky these days, but i do believe the general public does not know how to make that distinction. There's ugly and there's ugly.
    In true bull fighting, you see an amazing show of horsemanship. It doesn't excuse the treatment of the animals, but its a fact.
    This Mexican sh*t is a bunch of yahoos getting off on watching animal suffering and gore, with no respect for the horses, the bulls, or even human life.