The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Horses eviscerated alive for fun???

Don't know if this has been posted here before, but it is the first I am hearing of it.
    I found it through a Portuguese rescue's FB page. Jesus, Mexico really is the mother of all things horrible when it comes to horse treatment...

Graphic image alert
    https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition...r_fun/?czHKPab
    Last edited by Niennor; Sep. 16, 2013 at 08:05 PM.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes. Yes it is.

How I wish I could unsee that image...

2 members found this post helpful.

What the hell is wrong with people? No wonder this world is so messed up if people think watching animals disemboweled and bleeding to death is entertainment.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

This is also a normal part of bullfighting. Look at the picadore's horse...the horse wears a padded sheet...it isn't to protect the horse, it's to hide the gored horse coming apart. What a cultural piece of fun. They must be so proud.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

3 members found this post helpful.

Of course someone will pop up to say it is their property, and their culture so they should be able to do what they want with the animal. Can't dare ban it, because the next thing you know the RARA's will succeed in banning animal ownership. Slippery slope and all that...

I'm sure there are people in those countries where this takes place, trying to get it banned. And I bet they have horse forums where they post articles about it and try to get it banned. And they probably have posters like we do here, that will argue against banning it, because of slippery slope arguments, and they will be called RARAs.

6 members found this post helpful.

"Civilization" is a relative thing, obviously . . .

It is incumbent upon all of us who believe no animal should meet an end like this to speak up and stop "cultural traditions" which are legacies of barbarism.

6 members found this post helpful.

I'm not going to look at the photo, I want to sleep tonight. But is it like one of the snuff films or something else?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    This is also a normal part of bullfighting. Look at the picadore's horse...the horse wears a padded sheet...it isn't to protect the horse, it's to hide the gored horse coming apart. What a cultural piece of fun. They must be so proud.
    Not sure how things are done in your neck of the woods but, actual bull fighting doesn't aim for the horse to get injured. Ever.
    Not that i'm endorsing bull fighting. Animal cruelty is animal cruelty now matter how pretty a show they put on...

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Of course someone will pop up to say it is their property, and their culture so they should be able to do what they want with the animal. Can't dare ban it, because the next thing you know the RARA's will succeed in banning animal ownership. Slippery slope and all that...

I'm sure there are people in those countries where this takes place, trying to get it banned. And I bet they have horse forums where they post articles about it and try to get it banned. And they probably have posters like we do here, that will argue against banning it, because of slippery slope arguments, and they will be called RARAs.
    Apples and oranges. First, this is Mexico, nobody gives a shit, there's no RARAS where money and publicity isn't involved. Secondly, do you know what else is part of culture? Slavery. Racism. Hell, why don't we bring back the witch hunts while we're at it? It's cultural so it's all good, right?

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I'm not going to look at the photo, I want to sleep tonight.
    I'm with LauraKY on this one for sure.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Disgusting!

Very happy that I read ahead before clicking the link. A bit of a spoiler alert might be courteous, OP. From the post I thought it might be a news article or something.

That's just horrible. In my book, that's like doing the same thing to a human.
    *Mental note to self: never attend a Mexican rodeo!*

Quote Originally Posted by gumshoe View Post
    Very happy that I read ahead before clicking the link. A bit of a spoiler alert might be courteous, OP. From the post I thought it might be a news article or something.
    Sorry, i thought the title spoke for itself.
    FWIW, I do intend to look up more info on this.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterJumper<3 View Post
    That's just horrible. In my book, that's like doing the same thing to a human.
    *Mental note to self: never attend a Mexican rodeo!*
    Yes, horrible things go on in Mexican rodeos, not the same as what we have in the US. And the title did speak for itself.

My lord what a barbaric f'ed up bunch of people there!.
    That is beyond sick!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I still haven't clicked the link because I don't know if all I'm going to see is a disemboweled horse. I don't need to see that, I just had my supper. The subject line would speak for itself if it said PICTURE of blah blah.

I see the original post is edited. Thanks, that helps.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by Niennor View Post
    Sorry, i thought the title spoke for itself.
    FWIW, I do intend to look up more info on this.
    I couldn't find much but the whole horses are dying panic that the petition is a part of seems to have started in the past few weeks or months as a result of a few images, while these events have been going on for some time. I certainly didn't find much out there as far as pictures go, just one or two more photos of that exact horse shown above in the petition page with it's guts coming out.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I just did a search and youtube has some videos, not for the faint of heart.

However, while I think this is a sick "sport" that should be outlawed, after watching the videos, it's a bit different than implied by the petition. Horses being eviscerated is not the point of the thing, it's a dreadful by product. It's basically a bunch of guys on horse back in a ring trying to eiher get a rope on or a blanket over a loose fighting bull. To what end I can't imagine, but when folks get crowded together and the bull wades in its gets gross in a hurry.

If it makes anyone feel better I saw as many shots of riders being severely injured or killed as horses being injured.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFarm View Post
    I just did a search and youtube has some videos, not for the faint of heart.

However, while I think this is a sick "sport" that should be outlawed, after watching the videos, it's a bit different than implied by the petition. Horses being eviscerated is not the point of the thing, it's a dreadful by product. It's basically a bunch of guys on horse back in a ring trying to eiher get a rope on or a blanket over a loose fighting bull. To what end I can't imagine, but when folks get crowded together and the bull wades in its gets gross in a hurry.

If it makes anyone feel better I saw as many shots of riders being severely injured or killed as horses being injured.
    I have to agree. I don't think horses being eviscerated for fun is the point. The horses are part of their bull sport. Sometimes just like the people they get gored. Horses underbellies are soft and fragile their made that way ...remember prey animals.

Doesn't make it right in anyway but its certainly not the intended outcome of the event. Also just like above in the few videos I could stomach I saw far more people thrown to the ground , stomped on , gored , squished by the horses and a few I'm certain that did not see the sun rise.

I am a little amazed at how many people are shocked at how some cultures value animals considering their long history of barely valuing humans.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"