The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default therapuetic riding for mood disorders

I tried researching info on it but didn't find too much. My oldest DD seems interested in doing that if it is provided. What do they do for mood disorders? Do they ride or do therapy around the horses? I'm going to ask when my youngest goes back at the end of the month, but if anyone has any info so I know what exactly to ask when I get there would be great

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Not to make light of a serious subject, but isn't that why most of us spend time around horses? It puts us in a better mood.

3 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by spotted draft x filly View Post
    I tried researching info on it but didn't find too much. My oldest DD seems interested in doing that if it is provided. What do they do for mood disorders? Do they ride or do therapy around the horses? I'm going to ask when my youngest goes back at the end of the month, but if anyone has any info so I know what exactly to ask when I get there would be great
    You need to find a program that has active involvement from a mental health professional and not one that is geared solely towards mentally/physically handicapped. There are therapeutic riding programs for eating disorders, PTSD, etc and that's where you need to look.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

My personal take on the field is that equine therapies for mental health are best done in the unmounted setting.

EAP (Equine Assisted Psychotherapy) is my preferred approach. The reason I, as a mental health professional and equestrian, value the EAP/unmounted approach is that it is nearly impossible to have a true "therapeutic relationship" with someone that is also giving you didactic instruction. It can be very hard to have someone tell you "no, you're posting wrong" and also be expected to openly share your problems. Similarly, a therapist may have no problem connecting with a client right up until the point the client is actually not a very good rider at all, or is having a bad riding day, and the therapist, out of concern for the welfare of the horse, begins to be angry with or resent the client for reasons totally unrelated to mental health. This is not good for the therapy end of things.

It's also very, very tricky to ask someone to multitask around riding skills and emotional processes. Diverting attention one from one is downright dangerous, and diverting attention from the other is not therapeutic.

EAP also, last time I checked, was one of the only (if not only) approaches that is somewhat manualized (aka "consistent application across treatment deliveries") and has a decent certification/training process.

2 members found this post helpful.

Agree with Jaideaux, but wanted to add that regular physical exercise is typically really good for mood disorders, so I would keep riding "in the mix" if you can.

1 members found this post helpful.

Try the EAGALA site for more info. They also have youtube videos of sessions.

http://www.eagala.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGR7...9E3CD1F184D8A1

1 members found this post helpful.