The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Source for 1.5" to 2" hole netting for a slow feeder?

Hi all. I'm planning to make a "trough" style slow feeder so I want to have netting with 1.5" to 2" holes. I would fill the bag with hay and then put it in a trough. Does anyone know of a source for this size netting that would be appropriate for a slow feeder? Thanks in advance and any links to websites would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I have used the hockey netting that has smaller (1") holes for the kind of slow feeders that hang. This works because gravity "pushes" the hay against the net. However, for a trough style feeder I think the larger holes would be better since the hay won't be "pushed" against the holes.

Could you just use a very large small hole hay net? If so I know Shires makes several different types. A friend and I ordered a few from Equestrian Collections but here's the shires website and some of their hay nets. I know the ones we ordered early this yr were black and blue mesh and held at least 5 flakes of hay (way too big for my needs unfortunately), but I think they also had one that would hold a bale of hay in red and black colors. If that would work for you, good luck lift it up into a trough.

Anyway, here is the Shire's website and haynets:

http://www.shiresequestrian.co.uk/sh...ctid=1221&js=y
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Soccer nets?
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I recommend Cinch Chix products. I have bought hay nets in several sizes from them and so far they are holding up great!

http://www.cinchchix.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks! Cinchchix sells a bag that will hold a "west coast" 3 string bale for $60.00
    and you can select the size of the openings from 1" to 1 3/4". They also sell netting in 5' by 5' size or 10' by 10' size. They offer it with several different opening sizes, the cheapest is the 1 3/4" the biggest size is 2 1/2" but I think that would be too big.
    Shires sells an "extra strong" hay bag with 2" openings which is supposed to hold a bale of hay but I am not sure what the dimensions of the bag are (e.g. what size bale it fits- I have the "west coast" bales). Their price is under $20.00. I put in a call to customer service at equestrian collections to find out.
    Last edited by Mukluk; Sep. 16, 2013 at 02:37 PM.

Cinch Chix nets are the best. They're soooo tough!!!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I just bought a small hole hockey net on ebay for our slow feeders we are creating for the miniature horses. Seems like a good net but time will tell. The price was right anyway. Will know in a few days when it arrives. We do have a cinch chix net for the round bales and it is great. But I was looking for a cheaper solution for the miniatures. Fingers crossed anyway
    To ride a horse is to borrow freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by equislover View Post
    I just bought a small hole hockey net on ebay for our slow feeders we are creating for the miniature horses. Seems like a good net but time will tell. The price was right anyway. Will know in a few days when it arrives. We do have a cinch chix net for the round bales and it is great. But I was looking for a cheaper solution for the miniatures. Fingers crossed anyway
    They should work fine if you hang them but the hockey net that I used before only had 1" openings and I'm looking for bigger.

He sold sizes from 1" to 2 " so may be worth checking if you are still looking. Since we are feeding mini's with this one we wanted the smaller size.
    To ride a horse is to borrow freedom.

i bought nylon golf netting from a marine supply store on Ebay--worked great, and was super cheap!

We use Freedom Feeders-many sizes, durable, and great customer service.

If you have access to them, old fish nets are good and tough also.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

http://www.thinaircanvas.com/nibblen...heet-frame.htm
    not cheap, but I've had some of their nets for 2 years- daily use and out in the weather. They are a little dirty, but holding up really well! I'm contemplating trying this sheet, but not exactly sure how I'd build the box. A friend did build some boxes, and the one thing I didn't like about them was that they were deep enough that my mare couldn't see out while eating, so she was a bit worried about eating for a while. Once that wore off, she kept smashing her nose when she pulled the hay out of the net. So--consider and shallow and wide box when you design yours!

This is what I use:

http://www.westcoastnetting.com/nett...2ht-1-1-2.html

They will make any size you want and this is tough netting. I am just replacing one I have had 8 horses using for 4 years. The netting is still almost completely intact but the rope edge has worn out. I have it tied intermittently around the bottom edges of a round bale feeder and put my hay under it. It also has been outside always and has not deteriorated from UV exposure and whatnot. I am getting a slightly larger size this time with a web edge. Will use the old one for hauling loose hay or something as it has a lot of use in it still.

Thanks so much for all the great great resources! It's very nice to have so many options. Mestle, I didn't know you could get 1.5" hockey net. Wow you guys are GREAT!!!!!

I ordered a cinchchix west coast bale bag and yesterday bought a trough to put it all in. This will be for my mare Angel- so excieted to not have to hang up hay bags. Also the future Mr. Mukluk was able to score an "old" tennis net for me which has the correct sized holes. I am going to see if I can make a DIY one for the future Mr. Mukluks horse Stoli. So tennis nets may be another source for folks out there- the price was surely right!!!

I order my netting thru Arizona Sports Equipment (http://www.arizonasportsequipment.co...ockey-netting/). Mine are used 24/7/365 and I have one that is over 5 years old - still going strong! Well worth the cost!
    Cindy