The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

It's really awesome that some people had amazing experiences in 4h, but you have to accept the fact that 4h in some parts of the country SUCK (like in mine), the volunteer leaders are the control freaks that are running every other small town activity and make it impossible to have an impact because they have a strong hold on their members and volunteers. Outsiders and new ideas in this club are not welcome. I wish it were different, but it's always been this way (my FIL spent many thousands on my SIL's horses to sweep the 4h shows...it's a shameful part of this family history).

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't think anyone has issues with people dealing with bad 4-Hs in their areas. I think it's more an issue of insinuating that *all* 4-Hs are bad, poorly run or good ol' boys' clubs.

They can be good or bad, but they're not all bad.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

6 members found this post helpful.

They definitely have their own "flavor", just like PC does. When I was shopping for a PC, we drove to one about 45 minutes away to check them out, and never felt so unwelcomed...then we learned there was a local club only 20 minutes away, and it visiting them was like a family gathering .

4 members found this post helpful.

Yup, same here with PC and 4-H. All depends on the volunteers...some are great organizers and educators and put serious effort into it. And some...well some get lazy or some just like a power trip or some just don't know as much as they thought they did.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

3 members found this post helpful.

20 miles "as the crow flies" in NoVA puts you in a different world. Anyone who lives here knows that.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

6 members found this post helpful.

Just like many things in life. Unfortunately.

The mission and the org itself is very worthy of support.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    It's really awesome that some people had amazing experiences in 4h, but you have to accept the fact that 4h in some parts of the country SUCK (like in mine),
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

5 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    It's really awesome that some people had amazing experiences in 4h, but you have to accept the fact that 4h in some parts of the country SUCK (like in mine), the volunteer leaders are the control freaks that are running every other small town activity and make it impossible to have an impact because they have a strong hold on their members and volunteers. Outsiders and new ideas in this club are not welcome. I wish it were different, but it's always been this way (my FIL spent many thousands on my SIL's horses to sweep the 4h shows...it's a shameful part of this family history).
    That pretty much sums up what's wrong with my local 4H horse club. It's been run by the same people for at least a decade - with no fresh ideas or new blood - and they moved their clique horse club to their private barn when the chapter was forced to adopt changes to add new programs for science, art, technology, and other stuff and those programs don't even use the 4H facilities. Another horse club was formed for the sake of appearances, but it is not equal to the older one and is merely for hippology and occasional riding whereas the other one is a traditional 4H horse club group controlled by the clique and with money behind it. The funny thing is that the only local chapter member - so far as I know - who went to the state show that we're talking about here doesn't even seem to be a member of the horse club. She's a member of the K9 club and rides in one of the local pony clubs. Odd no?
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    That was a girl claiming to be a veterinarian for years, if I remember correctly. Caused a big bruhahah because she was constantly dispensing diagnosis and medical advice for a long time.
    Oh, I remember her because she dispensed some unusual advice about a wobbler I had a couple years before she got outed. Grataan I think? Her comments were in direct opposition to the whole team at Va Tech and IANAV, but it raised an eyebrow. The lawyer is someone else.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolMeadows View Post
    Oh, I remember her because she dispensed some unusual advice about a wobbler I had a couple years before she got outed. Grataan I think? Her comments were in direct opposition to the whole team at Va Tech and IANAV, but it raised an eyebrow. The lawyer is someone else.
    That is correct. I don't know who the lawyer would have been. I remember a few forum members who would always bring up the "I'm a lawyer!" thing but I don't think I've seen any of them for a long long time and I don't remember any problems with them.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!