The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Understood, but when you read the original post there is nothing about this being only hearsay/second hand information.

I thought that at 4-H shows there was no ringside coaching allowed, especially at regional and state shows
    so there goes her having to coach poopsie

2 members found this post helpful.

Parents should contact their lawyers.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    Now tell me again how Saddlebred show horses are immune to spooking.
    Ummm...never said Saddlebred's were immune to spooking. There's a big difference between yelling on the rail and sticking your arms over the rail and waving something to deliberately scare other horses.

Without seeing the video, it's kinda hard to comment on whether the person was just loud and obnoxious or deliberately attempting to interfere with other riders.

Quote Originally Posted by asb2517 View Post
    What kind of horses are these?? LOL! At Saddlebred shows, hollering, yelling, and cheering are the norm...

Not making light of the fact that 3 kids fell off, but seriously, if your kid's horse is spooked by yelling to the point the kid falls off, perhaps some desensitizing may be in order...
    She said that person was also flapping a program or something...cheering is one thing, whooping and waving something is quite another.

Just to clarify again, these people are my boarders. They have a video of their daughter's fall under her horse. I have seen this video and IF they put it on YouTube, I happily will post the link. You can hear the fishwife bellowing on the audio. You can see her waving her program or a paper at the horses as they go around. She's easy to pick out as she is wearing shocking pink and standing well away from the other parents.

My boarders were not there for the next series of falls. They were in the ambulance with their daughter. When they returned, they learned about the other kids and the air ambulance. That child apparently was faceplanted into the rail breaking her nose and ocular bone. I am not sure what happened to the other child. Perhaps it is pure coincidence, but my understanding is that all of this happened in front of the fishwife.

The fishwife's daughter was in the class and did pin 2nd. Allegedly the fishwife was reproached about her behavior and she said she has to holler and wave because her daughter would tune her out and not do well. I do not know if this is true or not. Even if it is true, what horse person in their right mind would endanger others like this.

I do know that if I ever saw anything like this at a horse show, I would do something about it.

My boarder's child is limping around, but will be fine. She was more concerned about her horse than herself. When she left the ER with her leg bandaged up, she went back to the barn and groomed him. The kid is nice; she was on the top of the world for coming close to being called back for showmanship and coming in 8th of 15 in hunter pleasure the day prior. She adores her horse like only a teenage girl can.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

17 members found this post helpful.

I was announcing a show last month when the judge stopped a beginner class to a halt because of a disturbance outside the ring. Someone on the far side of the ring was struggling with a fold away tent and once the judge saw it, she called for "all halt" and asked me to have someone from show management get over there. It is within the authority and obligation of the judge to take action if the setting of ,the show is somehow unsafe.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

25 members found this post helpful.

Glad to hear your boarder is OK.

5 members found this post helpful.

I'm starting to really wonder about some of these 4H state shows. I lease one of my geldings to a 16 year old girl and she took him to our state fair in July. Apparently in one of her hunter under saddle classes the girl in front of her first lost her riser pad out the back of her saddle, and then her square number pad came shooting out from under saddle right under my horse's nose. Thank goodness he just kept on trucking along and it didn't really phase him. Apparently they halted the class, let the girl retack and get back on, then restarted the class and the girl won. Any other show I've been to (open shows, breed shows, hunters, doesn't matter), if you have an equipment malfunction, too bad. You either just continue on if you can or you excuse yourself, you don't get to retack and win the class.

In another class, a girl's horse started bucking during the class so she stopped him and got off. They asked her if she wanted to continue and she said no and left the ring. A minute or so later, she came back in and finished the class. I believe she placed as well. Generally if you come off your horse in the middle of a class, you're DQ'd.

And no, not sour grapes because I knew my horse and friend's daughter was most likely not going to be in the ribbons anyway, he's not quite finished enough and she was just there for the experience. I just don't understand the shows not following the basic rules.

In this instance, I think someone (anyone) should have brought it to the attantion of show management, whoever that may be (even the gate person could have been told so they could determine who would be in charge) to try to get this woman stopped. My horse is broke to death but even he is likely to be surprised if some random person in a hot pink outfit pops up underneath his nose and flings some paperwork at his face while he's going by. I'd be surprised too! He may not do a full-fledged spook, but I'm sure the head would at least come up and it would interrupt our ride and I wouldn't be happy about it.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
    Allegedly the fishwife was reproached about her behavior and she said she has to holler and wave because her daughter would tune her out and not do well.
    Oh.my.god.

Anybody explain to her WHY her kid is tuning out her Embarrassing Mama?

Glad your kid is okay, though.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by drawstraws View Post
    I'm starting to really wonder about some of these 4H state shows.
    Yep.

Don't want to start a trainwreck, but have seen this over & over again with 4H. Not a fan of its equestrian program as practiced in many places.

7 members found this post helpful.

We have a small schooling show near our farm and many of the riders' family and friends can only be described as tailgaters. I have never seen anything like it at any other show, but they will back their trucks right up to the ring and set up those large folding tents and chairs with tables and the works and stay there all day long. I had to go over and stop someone from setting their tent up this past Saturday because it was right before our rider was about to enter the ring to do her cross rails round and the guy was setting up his tent right on the other side of the fence from the first jump! He looked at me like I was nuts for asking, but he quit until the class was over.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    Yep.

Don't want to start a trainwreck, but have seen this over & over again with 4H. Not a fan of its equestrian program as practiced in many places.
    It's been my experience as well both in 4H as a kid and more recently when my horse was leased to a girl who did dressage with him at 4H. As a kid who was raised in Pony Club I was truly horrified even at 10 years ole at the safety issues in 4H. As a result I only lasted a year and half or so. Pony Club can seem overkill on the safety end at times but man does it churn out conscientious, knowledgeable riders. I will miss my half leaser (she's headed off to college) but I will NOT miss the stress of leaving my horse at 4H shows. Fair was last month and he fortunately made it home just fine.... But NEVER AGAIN will he set foot at one of those shows.

5 members found this post helpful.

I'm reading this and not feeling particularly surprised, but yet disappointed. Guess I will have to seriously vet our local 4-H before darling granddaughter gets started. While her pony is bomb-proof, her Nonni is not!

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    As a kid who was raised in Pony Club I was truly horrified even at 10 years old at the safety issues in 4H. As a result I only lasted a year and half or so. Pony Club can seem overkill on the safety end at times but man does it churn out conscientious, knowledgeable riders.
    This is why I went to Amazon and purchased all 3 US Pony Club manuals + the British Pony Club manual for DD when we acquired our horse this summer. We don't have a local unit of either, but it sounds like I wouldn't want them!

Now, of course, getting her to READ them is another story . . .
    "Let's face it -- Beezie Madden is NOT looking over her shoulder for me anytime
    soon . . . or ever, even in her worst nightmares."

Member, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous

Also helpful for parents to read the USPC manuals themselves to both brush up on your own knowledge and to understand the depth of and reasons for what DD will be learning.

Although kids being kids, don't let them see you reading it. Some kids, the more mom is into reading a book, the less they'll be likely to.

6 members found this post helpful.

Interesting that this should be posted, as I've been mulling some things over about 4-H. I volunteered at one of the big fairs this year for the Over Fences program. It's a great program, and essentially functions as that County's 'B Circuit'. The kids all ride with reputable trainers and are well mounted. The courses were great, and the kids all rode well.

That said, I was absolutely shocked by some of the parents. They gave 'helicopter parents' a whole new meaning. I was Paddock Master and Ring Steward, and I got more excuses why DD was late than we had classes. They included 'We didn't give the calls. They didn't hear the calls. They didn't know. They couldn't go in because they didn't know their course. Why did so-and-so place and not DD. They needed to school.' And on, and on, and on.

Of course none of this came from the kids - it all came from the aggressive parents, who got right up in my face. It was always somebody else's fault, never their DD, therefore, they shouldn't have to face any consequences, and they should be able to ride once they finally arrived.

So I thought 4-H was all about doing it yourself, and the many of the kids did. They were there, on time, knew their courses, and were ready to ride, and were great! But there were more than a few who's parents were running interference for them, full of excuses and accusations, about why they weren't prepared, and why IT WASN'T THEIR FAULT!

Ban most of the parents to the parking lot and the kids would learn quickly, and be far more self reliant.
    Last edited by Thoroughbred1201; Sep. 16, 2013 at 03:35 PM.
    The truth is always in the middle.

10 members found this post helpful.

Does anyone know what club Fishwife is associated with? It might be worth contacting the leader of that club to see if they are willing to say something to Fishwife.

4 members found this post helpful.

Unless she is Fishwife.

6 members found this post helpful.

This is awful I hope someone speaks up if she tries to do it at another show. I was once in a schooling hunter show on a very green OTTB. It was her first show and we were in the low adult pleasure division. A parent of another girl in my class clucked at my horse every time I went by her and would then laugh as she jumped forward and took off. I had to cut off that end of the ring after I figured out she was doing it on purpose. I wasn't there for a ribbon just practice and it left a bad taste in my mouth.