The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Was she doing this in an effort to make the horses spook, or because she was cheering or yelling to her kid or some other reason?
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
    Anne, I was not there. I learned about this when they returned from the show. My boarder's parents went to the hospital in the ambulance with their daughter. They did not have time to deal with the fishwife and only learned of the other injuries when they returned from the hospital. My guess is that the first accident was considered a spook or bad luck, whereas the second accident made it clear that it was something else. Of course, those parents were off to the hospital including the air ambulance, so dealing with the fishwife was not their first priority. At any rate, I am surprised this woman wasn't dealt with immediately. Apparently she was tracked down in the barns and blew if off stating that she was just coaching her daughter and that she must bellow in order to get the girl to pay attention to her. Right, sure, okay. All the bellowing and waving is happening when the kid is across the ring, not when her DD is near her. Interesting coaching style.
    She's damned lucky she didn't get her mouth shut for her by one of the parents of those kids. I can see the latest show now: "Horse Show Parents Gone Wild!"

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pleiad View Post
    Even if kids had not fallen off, this parent's behavior is atrocious. I wish more people had the balls to say something to people like her. It had to be really irritating even trying to watch the show with her yelling like that.
    I would have flat out told her to shut it before someone gets hurt. I've told that to idiots at the race track and I would have done it to this one...then complained or called the cops if she didn't stop.

More guilty parties at the show than just the staff...count in all the people who stood by and did nothing, especially after the first kid got hurt.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    I have seen events where parents behaved worse than bad, and a blind eye was cast to their behavior because of who they were. Everybody grumbled about it, everybody knew about it. Some blew it in to the powers that be, but it was whisked under the carpet because of who they were. I have seen this crap first hand and nothing was done about it.
    That's why we pay for police.

2 members found this post helpful.

I said something at the youth horse show at the Westfield MA fair.

A dad was standing by the fence and kicking the chain links and hissing and clapping as the horses ridden by the children competing against his daughter went by. No kid was older than 8 or 9. Luckily the horses just pinned their ears and didn't react.

DS and I were just watching, we didn't know any of the competitors. Another spectator mentioned that all the horses seemed grumpy when they were in this end of the ring and I commented loudly that it was because the dad was tryin to scare the horses ridding against his daughter's, and that he was lucky he hadn't caused any falls.

Dad turned red and then white and left.

The good ponies kept trotting around, taking care of their kids.

37 members found this post helpful.

I don't have the videos and don't know if the parents will post them on YouTube. If they do, I'll share the link.

I guess I must be getting old and cranky, because when I was in 4-H, this kind of behavior was completely unacceptable on all levels. Nobody ever acted this way. And I have never been in a hunter class or at a show where there was this level of injury. I would be mortified if something I did interferred with a competitor. And Hulk, I am sorry you have seen worse.
    In some places, it's still unacceptable. If it were one of my 4-H parents behaving like that, parent would be asked to go sit at the trailer until kid is done. If parent didn't like that, we'd be having a private conversation about whether they should accompany their child to future shows and if this club was a good fit for the family. I wouldn't pull the kid unless absolutely necessary, but I would tell parent that if they couldn't control their behavior in the future or stay away from ringside, that child would not be allowed to participate because the parent is a safety hazard to the other kids. Poor sportsmanship is not accepted in my club, no way, no how. So sad other leaders apparently don't feel the same way...

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SarEQ View Post
    I said something at the youth horse show at the Westfield MA fair.

A dad was standing by the fence and kicking the chain links and hissing and clapping as the horses ridden by the children competing against his daughter went by. No kid was older than 8 or 9. Luckily the horses just pinned their ears and didn't react.

DS and I were just watching, we didn't know any of the competitors. Another spectator mentioned that all the horses seemed grumpy when they were in this end of the ring and I commented loudly that it was because the dad was tryin to scare the horses ridding against his daughter's, and that he was lucky he hadn't caused any falls.

Dad turned red and then white and left.

The good ponies kept trotting around, taking care of their kids.
    Good for you! Hard for spectators to see kids and ponies when there's a horse's ass in the way!

5 members found this post helpful.

What kind of horses are these?? LOL! At Saddlebred shows, hollering, yelling, and cheering are the norm...

Not making light of the fact that 3 kids fell off, but seriously, if your kid's horse is spooked by yelling to the point the kid falls off, perhaps some desensitizing may be in order...

I don't have the videos and don't know if the parents will post them on YouTube. If they do, I'll share the link.

I guess I must be getting old and cranky, because when I was in 4-H, this kind of behavior was completely unacceptable on all levels. Nobody ever acted this way. And I have never been in a hunter class or at a show where there was this level of injury. I would be mortified if something I did interferred with a competitor. And Hulk, I am sorry you have seen worse.
    I do not think you are being old and cranky.

You have a valid point, this parent was out of line.

I just think the problem lies more with the other parents than the judge here. It is believable to me that the judge did notice a bad parent while concentrating on the class.

I think the other parents should have given the is parent a talking to or gone to someone in charge and have that person read this parent the riot act.

I have been grunt labor at 4h shows. I do not think anyone had the title of ring steward. There was a ring master, whose job was to radio to the announcer whatever the judge said, etc. The ring master had no fancy in charge type duties though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Wonder if the insurance companies that are having to pay out might be interested in the videos...
    This is the best response yet. Ironwood Farm, if you can point this out to the parents of the first child that had an accident and see if the video can be shown to the insurance company. Does anyone know the name and address of the fishwife parent so that information can be given to the insurance company as well as information given to the organization doing the show. Organization doing show should also be given to the insurance company as the fall happened at the show.

Maybe if a few show organizations and people that cause these accidents would get sued for the medical bills incurred they may just take notice of said practices and stop it next time.

I hope all the kids are OK.

Maybe ALL organizations need to incorporate into their rules what happens in the eventing organizations (USEA) if 'outside help' is given to a competitor, the competitor is eliminated. It might just shut up the bloody trainers and parents standing ring side.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by asb2517 View Post
    What kind of horses are these?? LOL! At Saddlebred shows, hollering, yelling, and cheering are the norm...

. . .
    I've seen a coach leaning out, waving the program and the whole nine yards trying to get the student's horse to ear up and get more animated in a county fair ASB class, worked great, but the five competitors that had to detour around her didn't look so happy.

I think it's more a case of how the show is supposed to be run, how it traditionally is done for 4H, which is supposed to be about the kids and THEIR hard work and rather a lot like Pony Club, although from what I read on here some 4H groups are lead by adults with a lot of willingness and not much breadth of experience.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around someone rationalizing their behavior even after a freakin' air ambulance had to come in. That's disgusting.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

7 members found this post helpful.

Lordy! Who the hell DOES that?

Agree on informing the insurance companies involved about her behavior and providing a copy of the video. Especially if she DIDN'T do it to her daughter as DD rode past.

Yes, we all recognize riding can be dangerous and sign 2700 equine liability releases, but that covers rogue Walmart bags & butterflies, not idiotic stage parents.
    "Let's face it -- Beezie Madden is NOT looking over her shoulder for me anytime
    soon . . . or ever, even in her worst nightmares."

Member, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous

7 members found this post helpful.

And you said nothing? Nothing to the parent, nothing to stewards? Three competitors in the class fall off and go to the hospital? Three? Wouldn't that kind of behaviour have been observed by show officials? Other coaches didn't read that parent the riot act about holding her responsible for their student's injuries? This is a wierd story. Not wierd behaviour on the part of the idiot parent, I've seen that kind of thing before, but wierd behaviour on the part of the OP, since these were her kids in the classes, on the part of other coaches, and other parents of affected kids. I can't imagine anyone letting that kind of thing go by without confronting the abusive parent, and yes, that is abuse, and intent to cause harm to minors, and certainly can't imagine not bringing this to the attention of show officials. Who does that? Let something like that go? Not say anything? Kids are being injured, possibly seriously and you say nothing?
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    This is the best response yet. Ironwood Farm, if you can point this out to the parents of the first child that had an accident and see if the video can be shown to the insurance company. Does anyone know the name and address of the fishwife parent so that information can be given to the insurance company as well as information given to the organization doing the show. Organization doing show should also be given to the insurance company as the fall happened at the show.

Maybe if a few show organizations and people that cause these accidents would get sued for the medical bills incurred they may just take notice of said practices and stop it next time.

I hope all the kids are OK.

Maybe ALL organizations need to incorporate into their rules what happens in the eventing organizations (USEA) if 'outside help' is given to a competitor, the competitor is eliminated. It might just shut up the bloody trainers and parents standing ring side.
    Show fees generally include an amount to cover the EMT and the required insurance for the facility or the specific event.

That insurance company, who covered the event, and those who paid for the EMT would be interested to learn the responsible parties ID.

Furthermore, we ALL need to be more vigilant about this kind of behavior.

Incidents like this that get billed, eventually, to the organization or facility holding the event, because the insurance of the kid WILL look to hold someone accountable for that big bill and that search will stop w/ the facilities insurance.

This can, in the end, cost all of us in increased showing fees to cover higher costs of insurance [THREE KIDS HURT?!], or loss of shows altogether.
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious Kate View Post
    And you said nothing? Nothing to the parent, nothing to stewards? Three competitors in the class fall off and go to the hospital? Three? Wouldn't that kind of behaviour have been observed by show officials? Other coaches didn't read that parent the riot act about holding her responsible for their student's injuries? This is a wierd story.
    She said she wasn't actually at the show and heard about it after the fact.

I remember when I was a kid a dad got in trouble for covering a video camera with a towel. Apparently a pony spooked badly at it. IIRC the dad was very apologetic and embarrassed that he caused an issue. A lot of non-horsey parents might not know that their actions are causing negative reactions.

This person just sounds like an asshat
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    This will never happen.

Agree the fishwife at a 4H show needs to be carried bodily away if she won't shut up, but at regular shows hunter classes actually hold the class up if Poopsie's trainer is busy elsewhere. Can't show without the trainer hollering advice, you know, just to make absolutely certain the judge knows who BNT's clients are when it comes time to pinning the class.

Quote Originally Posted by asb2517 View Post

Not making light of the fact that 3 kids fell off, but seriously, if your kid's horse is spooked by yelling to the point the kid falls off, perhaps some desensitizing may be in order...
    At Saddlebred shows, the hollering is pretty constant. It may amplify as a "favorite" goes by, but that's a bit different from leaning out and waving programs or scarves or underpants, attempting to spook other horses.

Funny story -- at least to me: Watching a SS equitation class at the NWSS many years ago. Winner gets pinned, and is taking the victory lap. Photographer shoots a photo as horse & rider come down the rail. Horse spooks, rider falls off. No one is hurt, except for some ego bruising.

Now tell me again how Saddlebred show horses are immune to spooking.

This was a 4-H show: not a USEF-rated show. The fishwife parent was waaay out of line and I hope we hear the rest of the story.

OP, are you a trainer with clients at this show?

If so, I think the solution is to stop patronizing the show.

The parents of the broken child, complete with medical bills and video tape, need to make some noise about suing the rowdy spectator and perhaps the show.

How is it that a class continued and a winner was pinned after everyone pulled over for one kid to leave in an ambulance and another to leave in a helicopter? WTF?

I hadn't been around 4-H up close until I moved to Oregon. I have not been impressed. There are no stewards at 4-H shows, by the way.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

14 members found this post helpful.

As parent of several riders I have *no* issues telling kids or parents who are disrupting the show to knock it off. So far no-one has tried to slap me. Usually it's small kids who are hanging on the rail like monkeys while parents are having a coffee elsewhere. One hairy 'mom-eye' takes care of those. With the adults a short, calm conversation about how anxious I am about my daughters safety in the ring and could they please stop waving newspapers, popping up umbrellas etc as the kids go by suffices. Having said all that, the two groups I speak to are usually both mortified that their behaviour might be upsetting the horses. OPs description sounds like deliberate sabotage and 4H management/stewards should be made aware. People CAN be sanctioned after the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious Kate View Post
    And you said nothing? Nothing to the parent, nothing to stewards? Three competitors in the class fall off and go to the hospital? Three? Wouldn't that kind of behaviour have been observed by show officials? Other coaches didn't read that parent the riot act about holding her responsible for their student's injuries? This is a wierd story. Not wierd behaviour on the part of the idiot parent, I've seen that kind of thing before, but wierd behaviour on the part of the OP, since these were her kids in the classes, on the part of other coaches, and other parents of affected kids. I can't imagine anyone letting that kind of thing go by without confronting the abusive parent, and yes, that is abuse, and intent to cause harm to minors, and certainly can't imagine not bringing this to the attention of show officials. Who does that? Let something like that go? Not say anything? Kids are being injured, possibly seriously and you say nothing?
    Before you jump over the OP, reread the thread. She. Wasn't. There.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

15 members found this post helpful.