The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Angry HUGE VENT: BAD HORSE SHOW PARENT INJURES KIDS!

What is it with parents coaching at horse shows? What is it with stewards not taking action when there is a dangerous situation in progress?

The weekend my boarders went to the Virginia 4-H State Horse Show. They had been before and the kids show regularly at the local level. They are not inexperienced people and know things can go awry at a show.

The 16 year old is in a hunter flat class. The class has maybe 20+ horses in it; room to move, but a full class. People are watching form the rail. There is a lady at the end SCREAMING and WAVING A PROGRAM at the horses as they go by. Her kid is in the class, but she is screaming at everyone. My boarder trots by, the lady hollers, horse spooks, kid falls off under the horse. Boarder kid gets taken to the hospital with suspected broken leg.

It gets better. The class continues. Hollering parent remains and continues to holler. Excuse me, hollering parent but you just caused a fall, so can you tone it down? Apparently not, because THREE MORE KIDS FALL OFF due to her hollering, two of whom were sent to the hospital, one in a helicopter!

I was a 4-Her in my youth. I have been to plenty of horse shows. Since when is it acceptable for ANYONE to be creating a ruckus ringside? Where is the steward? Obviously this woman has no shame or remorse. Can someone not throw her out of the show? Can the judge not stop the class when there is a dangerous situation like this?

My boarders have it all on video through their daughter. I only hope someone else has the other falls. I told them that they need to complain to whomever runs the state show. This is simply unacceptable behavior. 4-H is all about safety and sportsmanship, not trying to injure people to get a ribbon. This parent deserves to be banned for life from any 4-H show.

BTW, the holler's kid pins in what remains in the class and goes on to win reserve champion. I'm sorry, but I suspect the hollering was less to help her child as it was the mess up the competition.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

2 members found this post helpful.

I'd of spoken to her if nobody else did. I can't sit and watch dangerous behavior like that!

20 members found this post helpful.

That's ridiculous! I think I would have said something to her. But the horse show stewards certainly should have. What's scary is that parents like that are teaching their kids that it's ok to behave inappropriately.

1 members found this post helpful.

Was there any steward around? Did anyone make an effort to alert a steward or TD of the issue taking place?

I personally think if a parent or trainer is behaving in such a disruptive and dangerous manner, it should result in elimination of their rider. And I'd be providing the video of this incident alongside a formal complaint. Spooks happen. Falls happen. Injuries happen. It's all part of riding. Multiple spooks resulting in falls and injuries in response to one person ringside is a problem that needs to be addressed.
    Jer 29: 11-13

11 members found this post helpful.

Did anyone bring her behavior to the attention of the steward or another show official?

Apparently, they've had problems with behavior at this show before...which caused them to develop a "code of conduct":

http://www.4-h.ext.vt.edu/programs/a...eofConduct.pdf

It says that parents must also be under the direction of the "adult in charge" for each club. Identifying the "adult in charge" should have put a stop to it. If you have video, it still might be worth bringing this to the attention of the show officials.

7 members found this post helpful.

Oh, c'mon, you watched this fiasco and said NOTHING to her? Nor did you or anyone go to a steward? Seriously? You're telling us this woman actually harassed FOUR children, specifically attempting & succeeding in spooking their horses and as all these kids tumble off people just allow it to continue? I dunno if I believe that. You'd think the other trainers or other parents would have tarred & feathered this virago.

67 members found this post helpful.

This is my question precisely. Where is the steward? I can hear this woman bellowing like a fishwife on the tape and she is a good distance away around the ring. I can see her waving a program on the video. The accident happens right on front of her.

I don't see a judge or a steward in the middle of the ring, which I found odd.

The fact that nothing was done, the class continues and two more kids fall off and are injured in the exact same spot is horrendous. I hope the other parents got this on video because IMO this is gross negligence on the part of the fishwife parent and the show organizer. I hope the parents of the more seriously injured child sue the fishwife parent.

I find the whole thing disgusting. These are kids, some of whom are not A circuit juniors with the skills to ride anything. Why on earth would completely inappropriate and unsafe behavior by a spectator be tolerated? It is mind-boggling to me that anyone would act so recklessly as to injure others to get a ribbon. Do you really want to win by making other competitors fall off?

3 members found this post helpful.

Anne, I was not there. I learned about this when they returned from the show. My boarder's parents went to the hospital in the ambulance with their daughter. They did not have time to deal with the fishwife and only learned of the other injuries when they returned from the hospital. My guess is that the first accident was considered a spook or bad luck, whereas the second accident made it clear that it was something else. Of course, those parents were off to the hospital including the air ambulance, so dealing with the fishwife was not their first priority. At any rate, I am surprised this woman wasn't dealt with immediately. Apparently she was tracked down in the barns and blew if off stating that she was just coaching her daughter and that she must bellow in order to get the girl to pay attention to her. Right, sure, okay. All the bellowing and waving is happening when the kid is across the ring, not when her DD is near her. Interesting coaching style.
    Last edited by IronwoodFarm; Sep. 16, 2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: more details added

4 members found this post helpful.

IronwoodFarm, I'm guessing you weren't at the show and you're just watching the videos. Yes?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Insane.

Reminds me of the county fair where someone threw fireworks at my TB during a flat class. Some people just don't give a sh$t about anything but winning.

I am not excusing the behavior... but what exactly was this person DOING that was sufficient to make multiple horses blow? Most show horses can handle someone waving a program and yelling without completely losing their sh*t. Especially if this was a class of older teens in 4H at their finals. Not a place you expect kids so green that they can't steer away from a kerfuffle and/or deal with a little ringside distraction. I'd like to see the video. This must have been SOME SCENE the woman was causing?!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

14 members found this post helpful.

All that for a stinking ribbon?? How could you live with yourself if you injured not one, not two, but three kids bad enough to go to the hospital for a stupid ribbon? I hope that the parents of the injured kids sue the pants off her, if not arrange for her arrest. I've never been to a show where that kind of behavior was tolerated. WTH is wrong with the show staff?
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

8 members found this post helpful.

post the video pls.

17 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, Ironwood Farm; I realize now that you weren't there so this is all not first-person.

Let us know if any of the videos get to YouTube so we can take a look. Still sounds odd that after the first kid no other horse-show mom blew up at the offender.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
    This is my question precisely. Where is the steward? I can hear this woman bellowing like a fishwife on the tape and she is a good distance away around the ring. I can see her waving a program on the video. The accident happens right on front of her.

I don't see a judge or a steward in the middle of the ring, which I found odd.
    Not odd. They most likely were up in an elevated location. A booth or such. And maybe they were busy watching the class so they did not noticed the woman on the rail. I should hope the judge spends more time watching the class than the stupid parents outside the ring.

I realize you were not there so you could not do anything but the fault lies more in the others at the show than the judge and the judges assistant.

5 members found this post helpful.

Even if kids had not fallen off, this parent's behavior is atrocious. I wish more people had the balls to say something to people like her. It had to be really irritating even trying to watch the show with her yelling like that.

6 members found this post helpful.

I have seen events where parents behaved worse than bad, and a blind eye was cast to their behavior because of who they were. Everybody grumbled about it, everybody knew about it. Some blew it in to the powers that be, but it was whisked under the carpet because of who they were. I have seen this crap first hand and nothing was done about it.

5 members found this post helpful.

Wonder if the insurance companies that are having to pay out might be interested in the videos...
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

29 members found this post helpful.

I don't have the videos and don't know if the parents will post them on YouTube. If they do, I'll share the link.

I guess I must be getting old and cranky, because when I was in 4-H, this kind of behavior was completely unacceptable on all levels. Nobody ever acted this way. And I have never been in a hunter class or at a show where there was this level of injury. I would be mortified if something I did interferred with a competitor. And Hulk, I am sorry you have seen worse.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
    What is it with parents coaching at horse shows? What is it with stewards not taking action when there is a dangerous situation in progress?

The weekend my boarders went to the Virginia 4-H State Horse Show. They had been before and the kids show regularly at the local level. They are not inexperienced people and know things can go awry at a show.

The 16 year old is in a hunter flat class. The class has maybe 20+ horses in it; room to move, but a full class. People are watching form the rail. There is a lady at the end SCREAMING and WAVING A PROGRAM at the horses as they go by. Her kid is in the class, but she is screaming at everyone. My boarder trots by, the lady hollers, horse spooks, kid falls off under the horse. Boarder kid gets taken to the hospital with suspected broken leg.

It gets better. The class continues. Hollering parent remains and continues to holler. Excuse me, hollering parent but you just caused a fall, so can you tone it down? Apparently not, because THREE MORE KIDS FALL OFF due to her hollering, two of whom were sent to the hospital, one in a helicopter!

I was a 4-Her in my youth. I have been to plenty of horse shows. Since when is it acceptable for ANYONE to be creating a ruckus ringside? Where is the steward? Obviously this woman has no shame or remorse. Can someone not throw her out of the show? Can the judge not stop the class when there is a dangerous situation like this?

My boarders have it all on video through their daughter. I only hope someone else has the other falls. I told them that they need to complain to whomever runs the state show. This is simply unacceptable behavior. 4-H is all about safety and sportsmanship, not trying to injure people to get a ribbon. This parent deserves to be banned for life from any 4-H show.

BTW, the holler's kid pins in what remains in the class and goes on to win reserve champion. I'm sorry, but I suspect the hollering was less to help her child as it was the mess up the competition.
    That wouldn't have gone on if I'd been there!!! That's nuts!