The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Should I Clip Before I Ship? WWYD?

So I'd like a little input here as it looks like I won't be heading down to NC until the middle of November rather than the end of October like my original plan. I usually clip by the end of October for training convenience and skin health (since sweat left on the skin is never good and I don't necessarily have another hour or two to wait for my horse to dry all the time).

So here's the big question (because the winter fuzzies are already coming in on time): for overall health of the horse, is it better to hold off on the clipping and risk the possible health problems of sweat/winter coat/cold/etc. or clip her and hope that she gets blanketed appropriately when shipped?

A little background on her shipping is that when I bought her and shipped her down to NC last November she came down coat and all so was just fine, and on her way up to MA in mid May she sweat quite a bit (and came off the trailer in heat, >.< mares) but was otherwise healthy. So this will be her 3rd go around, she's an easy haul, climbs right onto the rig every time, and besides needing her UG for her tummy she doesn't get any special treatment.

If this were your horse in training, what would YOU do?

(Also, clipping wise, she gets a hunter clip, so body gets clipped, leave legs, saddle patch, and half of head.)

I ship my two guys from Western NY down to Central Florida for the winter season. Last year they didn't ship until after Tgiving so I had them clipped before we left -- in early November. Then clipped them again in late December down in Florida. This year we are leaving earlier (they will be picked up tomorrow morning) so I'm waiting to clip until they get down to Florida --- but will clip them ASAP when we get down there. We're having some pretty chilly nights up here (lows in the upper 30's) so felt they could use the coats that have come in and am keeping my fingers crossed that they will be comfortable in the truck (going with a commercial shipper).

Default Clip and Ship ~ with Blanketing Instructions ~

Clip and Ship ~ with Blanketing Instructions ~ IMHO

Better cooler than
    too warm and sweating ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I agree that you clip and ship. Last year while working at a farm in Ocala we had a few get shipped down mid-season from Canada who hadn't been clipped and came off the trailer sweating. Given that it was t-shirt weather down there and I had them arrive on Mondays when we weren't showing I was able to bath and clip them right away. My bosses ran a commercial shipping company along with the north and south show barns and the consensus always seemed to be that they were more comfortable shipping a clipped horse with a sheet and pulling the sheet off when they got south, then to worry about a horse overheating and stressing.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you! Looks like my mare will be naked in the next few weeks!

I am going to Aiken early this year (3 months early!) and wonder what sort of weather will greet us when we get there. That answer will tell me if I clip before we go. I'm hauling them myself so can adjust their clothing along the way. What's the temp apt to be in Aiken in November?
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.