The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Blanketing w/destructive pasturemate - is 1200D enough?

So it's that time of year again, and I've found it's time to buy a new blanket. I have a medium weight, but it's only 600D and it rarely gets so cold here that anything more than a lightweight sheet with a fleece underneath is needed. I have a myriad of fleece sheets to layer with. He'll be body clipped, so I do need something with some warmth to it, but like I said, layering isn't a problem. The sheet I purchased for him last winter rubs his shoulders, and his withers, and has a PITA fleece lining that I CANNOT GET CLEAN, and it collects manure.

My biggest concern is that him and his pasture mate (and their buddies across the fence) LOVE to bite each other's clothes (and each other if there aren't clothes in the way). Like, grab and yank and pull in every which way. So is 1200D durable enough for this kind of thing? Or should I go for the 1680D? Or am I doomed to blanket repairs forever, no matter which I buy?

For reference, these are the two blankets I'm considering:

Schneider's Tekno-Fleece Turnout, 1200D - I like this one because I can get both the sheet and the neck attachment for >$200, and it sounds like it will be more versatile for the temp fluctuations here.

Schneider's Stormshield Vtek yadda yadda blanket, 80 gm fill, 1680D This blanket is substantially more expensive, but is also supposedly 480D more durable and has a 3 year warranty.
    Last edited by big_red_ottb; Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Wow, so many typos today

Personally I'd not trust anything from schneiders and instead go with a Rambo. Far superior fit and quality plus they wear like iron. I only use Rambos on my blanket destroyer. The original Rambo sheet is under $200.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

I know Schneider isn't super popular but I love them and have great experiences with them from stable sheets to turnout blankets.

I'd go with the storm shield and maybe skip the neck attachment all together if you can. Just more for another horse to grab ;-)

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    Personally I'd not trust anything from schneiders and instead go with a Rambo. Far superior fit and quality plus they wear like iron. I only use Rambos on my blanket destroyer. The original Rambo sheet is under $200.
    Really? That's funny, I've always loved Schneider's brand. I've had really good luck with them honoring their warranty and the fit has been excellent on every one I've seen. I have their fly sheet and it fits him beautifully.

The Rambo Original, on the other hand, was not so great on him. Tried a friend's on him and it just wasn't right through the withers.
    Last edited by big_red_ottb; Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:41 AM. Reason: typo

Here's a blanket saving tip:
    Put a Kensington fly sheet over the turn out blanket (or similar heavy duty fly sheet)
    It really works. Keeps the turnout blanket cleaner, too!

3 members found this post helpful.

I spray 'no chew'/cribox at specific spots on blankets! It helps a lot.

I gave up and bought the Schneiders 1680 for my horse who is kindly described as a "product tester" type, and who shares a paddock with a 4-, a 5-, and a 7-year old, also "product testers." One section of trim tore off (I didn't bother to have it repaired) and I had to replace the clips, but the actual blanket fabric doesn't have a mark on it.

Quote Originally Posted by big_red_ottb View Post
    Really? That's funny, I've always loved Schneider's brand. I've had really good luck with them honoring their warranty and the fit has been excellent on every one I've seen. I have their fly sheet and it fits him beautifully.

The Rambo Original, on the other hand, was not so great on him. Tried a friend's on him and it just wasn't right through the withers.
    The schneiders blankets rub like crazy on my horses. I tried 5-6 different models, used them exclusively for years before I knew any better. I also had trouble with waterproofing on their sheets (not their blankets though). My blanket destroyer ripped off surcingles and split shoulder gussets constantly. I was sending blankets back so much schneiders stopped honoring their warranty. Go a Rambo, haven't had one rip in 3+ years.

I have nothing against the company, just their blankets.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Schneiders rugs aren't a good fit for my horse, but I would definitely consider them if they worked for him; in my admittedly out of date experience they are tough. That said, Rambo is absolutely a blanket to consider. (Not their Rhino or Amigo lines, which are now made in China and the quality has suffered.) The original Rambo blankets are expensive but practically bulletproof.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

My biggest concern is that him and his pasture mate (and their buddies across the fence) LOVE to bite each other's clothes (and each other if there aren't clothes in the way). Like, grab and yank and pull in every which way. So is 1200D durable enough for this kind of thing? Or should I go for the 1680D? Or am I doomed to blanket repairs forever, no matter which I buy?
    Make sure that the blanket has "rip stop"

Have you considered this Smart Pak blanket

I like the sale price on this one but sizes are limited.

Eventually any blanket will end up damaged in your situation so if Smart Pak will stand behind that 10 yr warranty, that's likely your best value BUT check if they will replace the blanket once (likely) or multiple times (not sure how they'd make any money then ...)

Thanks everyone! I'm leaning towards the more expensive Vtek blanket.

Make sure that the blanket has "rip stop"

Have you considered this Smart Pak blanket
    I've looked at the Smartpak Ultimate turnout, but I wish there was something in between the sheet and the midweight. I'm concerned that I'll have to be doing a lot of layering to make sure he's warm enough. The Schneider's blanket allows for more versatility, and will be warmer, I think. Good point about the ripstop, though - I'll have to ask CS about it.

My biggest concern with Rambo is the fact that the original just did NOT fit him right, and I'm really hesitant to spend $200+ on a blanket when I don't live somewhere super cold. The Schneider's blanket is designed with horses with large withers in mind, and should prevent rubs and binding.

I've looked at the Smartpak Ultimate turnout, but I wish there was something in between the sheet and the midweight. I'm concerned that I'll have to be doing a lot of layering to make sure he's warm enough. The Schneider's blanket allows for more versatility, and will be warmer, I think. Good point about the ripstop, though - I'll have to ask CS about it.
    Request the temp range for any blankets you're considering - one reason I shop Bucas (plus they fit )

Whatever brand you choose, I would be skeptical that 1200D would be enough. I had thought that it would be for my gelding... it wasn't. Went to 1680D. Wasn't enough. Went to Rambo... which, so far, has held up.

But you're definitely right - Rambos don't fit all horses. That being the case, get the highest denier you can, and make sure it's ripstop and has a warranty.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I swear by the SmartPak Ultimate turnout. They really will replace it if it gets torn up. I had a gelding that went through 3 blankets last year and I finally broke down and ordered this one. It took much longer for it to get torn up and SmartPak sent me a new one this spring so I will have it for next year. Hopefully it will fit one of my other horses as he is no longer with us.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartp...blanket-10621p
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!

When my gelding was with a tougher herd and got blanket rips, there was a HUGE difference in the way his ballistic nylon dover north wind sheet held up compared to the others (1200D). The north wind sheet would get a little "pick" or tiny hole type thing where the others would be ripped in huge chunks with stuffing falling out. He's now with a kinder gelding and I don't think blanket rips will be an issue anymore, but I would do the north wind again or the smartpak one that has the 10 year warranty if I needed something very tough.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

I can't afford Rambos..but hear they're fabulous.
    My favorite blanket for my boys is the Dover Northwind. Theyr'e all TB's, the type that play rough...rearing, strking & biting each other on a regular basis. 600D blankets don't stand a chance...and I tried. The 1200D blankets don't hold up to the boys for long either......I get maybe a season before they're torn. I've had one Northwind Turnout for 6 years now, several others going into their 4th winter. They have a 2 year guarantee against ripping If you want rip-proof, you can't beat the Northwind. Pessoa and Rambo are pretty nice too..and also have warrantees.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

You do know that spraying that stinky old skinsosoft, original formula with the smelly perfume, will keep horses from grabbing your horse's blanket? As well as keeping other horses from biting your horse. Try it. It works. BTDT.

And it repels bugs. While experts say that bugs are attracted to perfume, even bugs cannot stand the cheap perfume smell of skinsosoft.