The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Frost warning here tonight

Should I pick all my green tomatoes and bring them in to ripen?

What about squash (acorn type and some other yellow kind) and pumpkins?

Luckily, I don't have to worry about my cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, beans or spinach, because they simply did not grow this year!

Covering everything is not really an option nor would it be the end of the world if the whole garden died. I didn't have high hopes for the garden this year; winter didn't end for the longest time (I clearly remember the snowstorm on Mother's Day) then flooding this past week (5.5 inches of rain in 2 days) and now frost tonight.

We have harvested and enjoyed much zucchini (I planted the yellow kind this year and it was WONDERFUL), peas, green onions, cucumbers and blueberries this year so I am happy for that.

So, should i get out there and pick those 'maters?
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

1 members found this post helpful.

Do you live in Antarctica? It was 95 here today!

(No advice on your garden. Good luck!)
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Your squash should be fine, but the vines will likely die-though the squash themselves, if ripe, should be good for some time.

Tomatoes? They're toast!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Probably too late to take action tonight, but in case you dodge the frost, there will surely be more soon. Hopefully you are as cloudy as we are right now and won't get bitten.

For future reference, yes, bring the green tomatoes in. Spread out in a single layer and all but the very greenest will ripen. If you have enough, eat the ripest ones fresh. The others will still be fine for canning whole or making sauce - batch #2 simmering on the stove as I type. We dodged the bullet down in TC Friday night, but not taking chances on letting a season's worth of work go to waste. We did cover a lot of tender stuff but the frost (yes hubby had it on the windshield when he left for work at 6AM) must have been very short lived. Even the basil was unscathed and it is by far the first one to succumb to cold. Got to get that pesto made & in the freezer.

If your squash vines are going to or have bitten the dust, may as well bring the squash in. Hopefully they are ripe enough. They won't ripen any further if the vine is dead or they are in storage. Frost will damage them and shorten their storage life, so why risk it.

Hi Fjordmom! (Check out my signature line. )
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Yup, lots of frost here this morning.

My husband tried to tell me that because we got a bunch more rain last night and everything is wet, that will probably protect it from the frost -- I've never heard of that so we'll see what happens.

I brought in a bunch of tomatoes, but not all of them. A lot of them are rotten anyways from too much rain

The rest will go to the chickens if it comes down to it.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyg View Post
    Do you live in Antarctica? It was 95 here today!

(No advice on your garden. Good luck!)
    Second this. I would give anything for a frost warning right now. Boy do I hate the South and miss the Midwest.

I'd love some cooler weather too, maybe not frost just yet. It's 97 here today. Oh, and Colorado, stop hogging all the rain, we could use a little.

Yeh, frost warning in most of Western NY for tonight. Not in my county, thankfully, because we're so close to Lake Ontario, but lots of people look to be hit. All I know is that it was miserable today. The temperature only hit about 52, it rained this morning, and hasn't dried out all day. I think I'll just let my tomato plant go. It's a sport plant, that came up all on its own. I've gotten some tomatoes off of it, but they're not that great, cherry with a very tough skin.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.