The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation WOW - free website to view acreage and fence lengths from aerial views!!

I just wanted to cross post my latest discovery, so no one missed it. This is the coolest website ever - heck, I now know how big my neighbor's pastures are!

To View Acrerage:
    http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-go...lator-tool.htm

If you make enough points, you can even measure a curvy pasture.

*****Edited to add: If you are wanting to measure from point A to point B, then use this site instead:
    http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-go...calculator.htm
    Last edited by Freebird!; Sep. 13, 2013 at 02:00 PM.

That's a cool site.

I didn't realize Google updated their maps sooo frequently. The map shown for my property was most likely taken in Sep 2012. I could tell because we didnt add gravel to the drive to the pasture area until April of that year because my brother was married on our farm in May.

Plainandtall- That is the wisest thing to do...Asking people who actually live in the area who have nothing to gain or lose.
    Save Schrodinger's Cat!!!

It's not very accurate. According to the measurements, my 15 acres show up as less than 10 (and I had my property surveyed.) So I wouldn't use it for fencing measurements.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

My measurements come in right on the dot and we have those measurements since 1910, taken time and again by surveyors.

I wonder if the smaller acreage, under, say 10 acres, or 5, is less accurate than larger ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    My measurements come in right on the dot and we have those measurements since 1910, taken time and again by surveyors.

I wonder if the smaller acreage, under, say 10 acres, or 5, is less accurate than larger ones?
    That could be...I measured each pasture and paddock individually. I'll have to try again with the whole property.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

So cool. I looked up the barn I ride at and my car is in the photo!

No one has ever used your county's soil survey and plat maps? We had to learn how to use the soil survey books in junior high. Do other states not send these out any more? We get a new one sent out to each household every other year.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenrow View Post
    No one has ever used your county's soil survey and plat maps? We had to learn how to use the soil survey books in junior high. Do other states not send these out any more? We get a new one sent out to each household every other year.
    Here, we used to go to the Farm Service Agency offices to get them, but the past years they have quit publishing them, all is in their computers now.

One day people who are interested in your property will just fly their private drone over it or hire one out. Smile for the camera!
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    That could be...I measured each pasture and paddock individually. I'll have to try again with the whole property.
    It was right on the money for me, even my smaller pastures and paddocks. One thing though, is if you wanting to measure distances - such as fence length, then this site is better: http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-go...calculator.htm

Very useful widget, thanks for sharing!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

It shows myproperty as photo'd Jan 2013 however I have been here for almost 9 years and no fences, barns nor changes have been recorded. Darn..

That is cool. My measurements were spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    It shows myproperty as photo'd Jan 2013 however I have been here for almost 9 years and no fences, barns nor changes have been recorded. Darn..
    That's not the time stamp for the photo. It must be for the web page or the tool. Based on the placement of my tire feeders and tractor, the photo of my property is at least two years old.

The Google satellite pictures for our area were updated this spring, as per the barn we are building, that we had half the roof on.

The old pictures were a good 5 years old.

Google Earth (the app, not maps online) will also measure point to point or paths. You can get fenceline estimates with it.

You can download a free trial of the full software to measure acreage. I think the trial version is free for 30 days, then you've got to pony up quite a bit of cash if you want to keep using it.