The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is what I use, called a weed whacker:

https://www.horseloverz.com/product/...FexDMgodOHYAnw

No need for a motor or electricity, cuts both ways, going and coming, as you whack weeds.
    Sold at most hardware stores for under $20.

Goats - get goats. Always start! No strings!

Of course no tails, no peace.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post

No need for a motor or electricity, cuts both ways, going and coming, as you whack weeds.
    Can you get under fence lines with that? Also, it looks like you can hit yourself if you aren't careful...how easy is it to use? I'm dead serious about buying a scythe. I've seen videos where they are way faster than a weed eater and I have used one. It took a few tries to get it right but it wasn't any more exhausting than that loud, heavy, vibrating weed eater to manage and it doesn't sling nasty stuff back all over you.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Can you get under fence lines with that? Also, it looks like you can hit yourself if you aren't careful...how easy is it to use? I'm dead serious about buying a scythe. I've seen videos where they are way faster than a weed eater and I have used one. It took a few tries to get it right but it wasn't any more exhausting than that loud, heavy, vibrating weed eater to manage and it doesn't sling nasty stuff back all over you.
    They have one with only one side to the bottom, so you can fit it under anything, but is not as heavy as the one pictured, so it takes a bit harder swing to cut the big weeds.
    We have one of each, the whip grass trimmer is ok for places that are hard to get to, the heavier one better for general use.
    Here is the lighter one, that fits well under fences:

http://www.hardwarestore.com/grass-a...rs-664897.aspx

Here are both kinds for sale, but most hardware stores should have them:

http://www.hardwarestore.com/weed-br...tters-524.aspx

If you keep them sharp, it is really easy, just swing and it will cut without any effort.
    Be sure to get the double blade ones.

I have used a scythe to cut alfalfa and take it to the cows fresh off the fields, the long ones with a handle.
    That would work also, but I think it would be overkill for weeds.
    These weed whackers would be easier than the long scythe.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    The battery powered wackers...how big is the battery and how long does the battery last? One of my nieces needs a new weedwacker for around her fencelines.
    IIRC the biggest one I've seen (Black & Decker?) has 18v lithium.
    Battery gives you about 1h cutting time, so getting one that comes with 2 batteries makes the most sense.

And you're right about the power in a battery-operated being too low to handle the blades. I was told this by a local Stihl dealer & believe he had it right.
    Still, I'm sure there's a way to up the power, but then the darn battery would probably make it as heavy as the gas ones.

I am reconsidering goats.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Goats - get goats. Always start! No strings!

Of course no tails, no peace.
    Yes! A solution!

1 members found this post helpful.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post

Around here, that's called a "slingblade". Everyone had one before Weedeaters were invented. We still have some really old ones.

Thanks for the info bluey. I'm going to do something like this. I can mow under most of our fences except in the corners and I think a scythe or a weed cutter like you use would work well. I truly hate using the weedeaters and think this is a good alternative..might get some beneficial exercise too!

There are the centuries old hand scythe, the one with the short handle, that we used to cut wheat/barley/oats and make bundles we stacked in the fields standing up, tail down, then picked up with the horse and sled, took to the farmhouse cobbled yard to tresh walking around and around on them with the horse pulling the harrow backwards.
    We then used pitchforks to pitch the straw into the poles that made those neat stacks and sweeped the grain into towsacks to take to the mill to sell and for our own flower, that was used to make bread all year around.

You could not feed but a few families farming like that, but when 90% of people were farming, that was ok.

Those short handled scythes, you had to swing bent over and be sure to have strong boots on, as you could cut your own leg/toes with it.
    You also carried a whetstone to keep sharpening it.

I would not use the short one for harvesting grain, because it scattered it too much to make your handfuls that made the bundles you then tied together with more handfuls.

I don't think people today know how all that works, other than maybe some amish.

This is the long handed scythe with a handle in the middle, that as a kid was too big for me and also too many didn't like to harvest grain, the short one was harder on you because you had to bend over all the time, but it was faster to harvest with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scythe

This is the short one we used most:

http://www.hardwarestore.com/grass-h...de-681599.aspx

For cleaning around fences and barns, I think the swinging weed whackers are best, if we don't want to use the gas or electric ones.

We got one at auction and I obviously do not know what I'm doing as the string breaks 3 minutes into using it every time. It is very thick plastic string. So I don't use it, because I spend more time putting more string on. I'm wondering if I'm not tying it correctly or something. It is a heavier duty weed whacker (on wheels) and I was so excited when we got it and now it just takes up room.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I've been considering buying an old/used pair of full chaps for weedwacking. Jeans just don't cut it when it kicks up rocks and flings them at my shins. I get sick of weedwacking while hopping around like and swearing. I must look like the Lord Of The Dance guy with Tourettes.
    There are logging chaps which may be cheaper and more comfortable than riding chaps.
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...rel-protection

They look like they may be cooler than riding chaps too. Length might be an issue though.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

My weed eaters run very well for me. I've gotten them all for free from people that were frustrated with them and said they "didn't run".

1) make sure the carb is clean
    2) make sure the air filter is clean
    3) Inspect fuel lines regularly
    4) USE SYNTHETIC 2-STROKE OIL. THIS IS A MUST!

I use a 45:1 ratio regardless of what the machine calls for. It works in every weed eater I have, my 2-stroke tiller, and the leaf blower/yard vac. I mix fuel one gallon at a time.

2 members found this post helpful.

For the battery ones, mine just doesn't have enough power to cut anything bigger than lawn grass/weeds. One battery will do around my 1300 sf house foundation and short front walkway and mailbox.

It's nice and light and quiet, but would be near useless on a farm, sigh.

For anyone curious about scythe's...some good info and a video...

http://onescytherevolution.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mqFl86BOck

DH bought a brush ax http://www.earthtoolsbcs.com/html/shw_misc.html scroll down a bit, after many hours of annoying weed eating. I can't use the tools either, give him 6 months and something is going to be held on with wire or need the left arm over the steering wheel to hold the tranny lever up to start.
    Anyway, we already have a metal pitchfork, so if we get another, and that brush ax, and some torches we could have our own little mob of villagers at Halloween! Not that it solves our weed problem but it's sort of a fun thought.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

I have an antique scythe with the curvy long handle, and it works amazingly well if you keep it really sharp. If you don't keep it sharp, it's a pain in the back. It's made for harvesting grain like wheat, or cutting hay, and cuts about a 2' wide swath in a sweeping motion. It's not something you would want to use for cutting around fence posts, but it will cut stuff that the string trimmer won't.....if you can keep it sharpened. You need to keep a file in your back pocket, and not cut your fingers when you are sharpening it.

I could feed a few horses with a scythe if I had to, but it's not something I'd use for cutting weeds.

This is the way we used the short scythe to cut wheat and make bundles, except we used the free hand up front and sweeping back to catch the wheat, he goes from the back to the front, which looks backwards to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjasNdqqaBY

Six adults and several kids and it took about three days to just cut and bundle fields the size of a football field, that today a 24' header combine not only cuts, but trashes and has the grain clean and ready to haul to the elevator in about 30 minutes.

About like the difference in harnessing your horse and driving to town taking a whole day one way, today it takes 20 minutes in a pickup that can haul much more than the horse and buggy did.

I wasn't planning to harvest a field with it and I'm sure a monster mechanized thresher does it way faster...I just want to whack down weeds in a few places where my tractor's belly mower can't reach..mostly corners in the fence line. I keep a few tools on the gator and if I see something needs done, I stop and do it. Keeping up with 26 acres of fast growing greenery in the middle of the wettest summer in a long time by myself is NOT fun. I can't use that stupid weed whacker (gas powered) for more than tank full which is about an hour without being exhausted by it with my ears ringing and a pounding headache...and I do use ear and eye protection. I hate it..truly...the string breaks or has to be refilled or gets wound up with weeds. I've used the blades and damaged what I was trimming...some mesh fence.

That one thing bluey posted with the longer handle looks like it might work to get into the corners where my mower can't reach and get any weeds or tall grass there.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    DH bought a brush ax http://www.earthtoolsbcs.com/html/shw_misc.html scroll down a bit, after many hours of annoying weed eating. I can't use the tools either, give him 6 months and something is going to be held on with wire or need the left arm over the steering wheel to hold the tranny lever up to start.
    Anyway, we already have a metal pitchfork, so if we get another, and that brush ax, and some torches we could have our own little mob of villagers at Halloween! Not that it solves our weed problem but it's sort of a fun thought.
    Looks like a nice tool!

Quote Originally Posted by K~2 View Post
    I was having endless trimmer line troubles. Too little string, and I was replacing it every three feet. Too much string and it gets all bound in itself and more or less melts together in the head.
    I bought a huge spool of .95 line... Found that it melted or welded together on the wacker spool... Being too frugal to throw it in the trash, I found that dusting the line as I wound it, with talc powder solved the welding issue. Smells nice too !

Be sure to use talc powder, Corn starch powder will gum up badly.

2 members found this post helpful.