The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Why do I get that is this horse Stolen or scammer feeling from this add

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/grd/4059222016.html

I mean if they don't even know he's chestnut not (brownish color) how did they manage to get ice boots on him and groom in quarter marks ?
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Look at the checkers on the rump too.

Not saying it is a scam or theft tho. My father never rode, but strongly supported all our horses in person & with the checkbook, to the tune of some very big dollars. I highly doubt he knew the diff between a chestnut & a bay. Did know palomino tho-sorta. Unless it was actually a buckskin, which he also thought was a palomino. God bless him. He held lead ropes with horses on the other end. Helped saddle & unsaddle. I do not ever remember him grooming, putting a bridle on, or picking a stall. But he was there with us.
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

Looks like they tried to put quarter marks on his shoulders too. He looks in decent shape.

I dunno, the ad made me kinda sad. Like maybe it's just somebody that honestly can't afford to keep the horse anymore, s they did the best they could to get some decent pics.

Yeah, fishy. Or maybe just clueless people got suckered into a pretty fancy "thorobred" at an auction (which could easily be a QH judging by the pic. Looks stocky to me). I'm not fussed about the quartermarks--any girl showing 4H has probably dressed up her horse like that. But the iceboots and ramshackle shed in background are incongruous.

But I do love that they're posing him in iceboots for a sale ad -- do they even realize they're highlighting that he's not sound?

2 members found this post helpful.

It does seem sort of strange.

Who uses an ice boots photo for an ad?

That is TOOO WEIRD. The stripped trailer as a backdrop is almost as bad as the dead horse in the AC4H vid. What the heck?

Surely a scam or prank with someone else's photo.

Default Illegal Racing....

Yeah I don't know what is up with that - maybe OTTB that came with the ice boots?

The horse IS posed in front of a dilapidated house trailer....

Oh wait - found another add for the same horse - and they describe him as a "racing horse" or "Caballo de carreras" and they want $2,500 for him in that add (rather than the $1,300 they want with ice boots on).

So..... that changes my guess - my guess is that this horse is used in illegal Mexican horse racing. That would explain the quarter marks (they fancy the horses up just like legitimate racing)

And wild guess - maybe he is injured hence the ice boots and 50% reduction in price.

Other add:

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/3988929446.html

{edited to add}

And I like how in the bilingual racing add - the horse is a good fast race horse. Then in the ice boots - only in english add, the horse has just been saddled a few times - suuuuure, "just broke" - or maybe it was just saddled a few times, and raced those time - and injured at some damned back yard track. - Looks like they are icing (notice the electrical tape) that right front which the horse is not putting full weight on.

Many people to this day think "thorobred" means purebred. I knew a lot of dogs the owners called thorobred too.

Whatever, hope the horse lands safely.
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

1 members found this post helpful.

The second ad sure "explains" a lot more about use of thorobred.

Wait. I've seen that ad before. Here. A long time ago.

It's gotta be a scam, or they just can't sell that poor horse.

how abut somebody calling?? I can't - out of the country til next week.

Does he look more filled out than a racing horse would? Yes, I get he isn't running the Belmont, but he looks round for a 'thoro' bred

The word "thoroughbred" does mean purebred. The word is an adjective. The breed name of racehorses is a proper noun and always capitalized, "Thoroughbred." Of course it is weird to say that a horse is a thoroughbred Thoroughbred; much better to say a purebred Thoroughbred, and it is confusing to say "thoroughbred Morgan" which sounds like "Thoroughbred/Morgan."

The iceboots are the only thing that sends this into WTF territory. Definitely looks like there is something wrong with the RF. Maybe they're using the boots to cover that up?
    So. strange.
    Cute horse though.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

I feel so sorry for the horses being advertised on CL (or anywhere) by clueless people. At least somebody has been feeding this one.