The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Update--went to the barn at 8am, walked down the gravel driveway, turned the corner--and found myself staring down the barrel of a gun. The BO's cousin was there, shooting rats, but he was aiming so if he missed the bullet would have crossed the driveway. There were four eggs in the tackroom, broken and leaking all over the floor. (At least there are only 2 chickens now--there were 3, but the third one was stepped on by a horse...) No BO or BM around or available this morning...meeting with BM at 3:30 today.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

If you signed a contract stating you are responsible for damage caused by the horse, then you'd have to pay. regardless of the situation of bees or not. for instance where I board I was not required to sign a contract, so I would not be held responsible.

Definitely ask to see that bill though. don't pay ANYTHING with a receipt.

Quote Originally Posted by cleozowner View Post
    Update--went to the barn at 8am, walked down the gravel driveway, turned the corner--and found myself staring down the barrel of a gun. The BO's cousin was there, shooting rats, but he was aiming so if he missed the bullet would have crossed the driveway. There were four eggs in the tackroom, broken and leaking all over the floor. (At least there are only 2 chickens now--there were 3, but the third one was stepped on by a horse...) No BO or BM around or available this morning...meeting with BM at 3:30 today.
    I think it's time for you to leave! I would.

As for who's responsible; I wouldn't be happy about the bees in my stall and I would say so.
    I would ask for the receipt for all fixing costs. It does seem pretty expensive for a barn who charge around 400-500$ per month to have doors that cost that much...
    Was this a brand new door?
    I think you should pay for a part of the material but not on the labor.

This is not what I would consider normal wear n' tear but more of an accident that could have been prevented by good management.

3 members found this post helpful.

I am willing to pay to replace the grill (I saw the receipt for it, $375) and help put it up. I am not willing to pay a $280 "labor" fee as has been itemized in my bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkaloosa View Post
    You aren't responsible for a penny. Things happen, fences and stalls get damaged. This was an accident, a one time thing. And the fact that he must have been stung --- caused by bees in the barn --- barn owner needs to chalk it up to wear and tear and horses.
    Totally agree with this.

I am willing to pay to replace the grill (I saw the receipt for it, $375) and help put it up. I am not willing to pay a $280 "labor" fee as has been itemized in my bill.
    I don't see where you owe anything honestly.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenfox1 View Post
    I don't see where you owe anything honestly.
    As much as financially it sucks, I feel like I need to prioritize my horse's well-being first. If they get pissy, his care may suffer and/or I may get kicked out. As a new-to-the-area person, I don't know enough horse people to find appropriate boarding arrangements in a jiffy (although I come with excellent recommendations from previous boarding barns when I lived in NY, and in SC before that).
    DH says pay nothing. I say I need to protect Charlie first. We've compromised with this, "pay for what was damaged, the end" line.

I was about to say.. since the horse was apparently freaked out because of bees/bee stings - and it would be the BO or BM responsibility to get rid of bees nests then at the very most, OP would be responsible for 50% of the damages... but since OP arrived at the barn with a relative gun in hand shooting rodents... I don't think I would argue the point, I'd pay the dang bill and get the heck out of there pronto...

Most circumstances the BO or management is responsible or general wear and tear or any damage that may be as a result of their negligence (not destroying bees hive). On the flip side if you have a horse that requires stall rest but doesn't like being kept up and they demolish the stall - then owner/boarder pays any damages...

At my barn (and many others I have board at), the horse owner is responsible for repair.

That said – my barn has a price sheet that is provided within the boarding contract, and repair fees are reasonable. Everything is vinyl fencing, or cement board in the stalls/ shelters. Broken post $100, broken rail $25, broken / kicked wall $50.

Other barns I have been at did not have a price list (I really like the price list method current barn has), but did require a $100 “damages” security deposit.

However – it would be VERY hard to rack up a $600 damages bill at any of these farms, and I would FREAK OUT if I got a $600 bill.

EDITED:

Correction, just did the math...$450 parts, $280 labor. So a total of $730. That is almost 2 months' board.
    Holly COW!!! The above barns DO NOT charge for labor – and $280!?! What does he charge, over a $100 an hour to drive some nails?! If that was not laid out in your contract, I would refuse to pay.

I would also be inclined to make deductions for lack of bedding on your last month’s rent. Sounds like these people are clueless and greedy.

I have boarded horses before and have always stipulated in the contract that the owner would pay for any damage the horse did to my barn or property.......regular, daily wear is not charged for.

If a boarder's horse kicked in one of my stall doors/front I would expect them to pay for it in full and my husband who is a contractor would install it......his rate is $65.00 an hour......and nobody but him or one of his workers would be allowed to do the work. We are not about to have someone else working on the property and have the chance of them hurting themselves......not interested in that kind of liability.

Dalemma

I would move your horse, and when your horse is out of there, dispute the bill.

2 members found this post helpful.

So who would be responsible when Bubba shoots your horse? Run... run away.

I think as a barn owner, it would be more then fair to pay only for the grill and that is a stretch because of the bees.
    Every evening I'd go into my chicken coop and get attacked by something that hurt like heck, I never saw the buggers coming. I stared at that coop for hours trying to figure out where from and what was attacking me. NOTHING noticeable. A week later I found the hornets nest nestled on a "beam" of the coop's pen. This sucker was the size of a softball and I have NO idea how I didn't see it during the previous weeks. My point is the farm is responsible for general maintenance and through no fault of their own, simply didn't see the nest. It resulted in your horse freaking out, not the horses fault. I would wonder what would have happened if your horse got a leg stuck in the grill?

This is the longest thread I've ever had. Amazing!
    An update for those who are interested: I sat down with the barn manager on Friday and expressed my concerns as well as my willingness to pay to replace the grill ($375). She felt that was fair given the lapses in care but doesn't control the pursestrings (that led to said lapses in care), so I met with the BOs today. The husband (of the husband and wife BOs) was either mad or embarrassed to the point that he was shaking. He took my $375 and gave me 30 days notice.
    I went immediately afterward and talked to my first-choice barn (where I'm on a waiting list). I confirmed that hopefully Charlie will move there in 1-3 months (they are building some stalls, it's a college town so horses come and go, etc). I asked that BO about places to go in the interim, and he said "You could go to (insert name of my current barn here), because it looks nice, but I've not heard anything good about it." It made me feel better that I'm not the only one disappointed in that place.
    My only concern at this point is ensuring that Charlie remains well cared for during this period. If I can make arrangements to move him before 30 days, I will. His welfare is the only thing that matters in this whole mess.
    Thanks for the advice, all!

Quote Originally Posted by ponysize View Post
    I'm glad you are moving anyway. Performance horses, any horse really, but performance horses especially, should not be stabled on concrete floors--even with mats. My trainer was asked to be a trainer at a new barn and when she saw them pouring concrete in the stalls, told them to find another trainer.
    Totally disagree. I prefer concrete stalls, THAT are properly matted. Mats over concrete give you a very nice level floor. The key to managing that is LOTS of bedding.

OP, so sorry I do know what it is like having an issue at a barn and then wondering how your horse will be treated for the remaining time after providing notice. I hope the next barn works out so much better for you and your guy. Horse people can really be strange but the gun would scare me more than anything...

I have never boarded anywhere that required horse owners to pay for repairs unless it was a frequent thing (ie; overly destructive horse kicking holes through stall walls all the time, running through fences).

2 members found this post helpful.

Not your responsibility. This is the BO's responsibility - its what happens boarding horses. AND - its also HIS responsiblity to have taken care of nesting bees or hornets around the barn, so the BEES are his responsibility, too. If your horse had needed vet care, I would have been very very peeved if my horse had needed vet care because the BO hadn't exterminated/removed bee nests. And because there was more than one been in the stall, there is a nest around there somewhere.

Its all his responsiblity. I'm shaking my head that you are willing to pay for that.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Can you talk to your vet or farrier and see if they know of a nice basic, safe place to move Charlie now? They may know a nice back yard type place that has no ring etc... but has a knowledgable horseperson running it. It sounds like your horse is on stall rest so ring and indoor aren't necessary right now.

Are you close to any racetracks? Maybe one of the vets or trainers there knows of a reasonably priced layup facility. A friend of mine used to have a 6 stall barn, no rings and a few small paddocks. She specialized in short term lay-up for race horses.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

SonnysMom, I chatted with the farrier this morning.
    I am visiting a barn this afternoon...not too far away, seemed willing to work with us when I explained Charlie's needs over the phone. (I am also willing to come out 1-2x per day AND pay extra to compensate for the extra bedding, etc.) I am going to meet with them and sit down, explaining what I need and seeing if that's something they are interested in doing. (I am a veterinarian, as well, so I hope that gives me some credibility--I'm not making this stuff up.)
    If this doesn't work, there is a retirement facility nearby that I've heard good things about. I imagine they are used to working with horses with special needs.
    I am in middle-of-nowhere, central PA right now, so pickings are slim.
    I appreciate everyone's well-wishes! I am getting Charlie out of there ASAP, as it seems the BO has anger issues, and I don't trust that guy as far as I can throw him.