The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fleas! Help me fight this battle!

The thread with the OP almost losing their kitty from flea spray was a very timely thread for me. For the first time, my two dogs have brought fleas into our home. Ugh.

I've been using Frontline on the dogs for years, and never had a problem. When I found the fleas on my GR, I realized I was about 6 days past due on treating them, so I applied Frontline immediately. 4 days later, and still live adult fleas on my dogs. After my frantic call to the vet, I bathed them in Dawn and have since applied K9 Advantix II. So far, so good for the dogs. However, I don't normally treat my four cats for fleas - they are all inside only and the dogs have never brought one in. So far, I've seen flea "dirt" on only one of our 4 cats (they are all inside only) but I'm very hesitant on what to do for them.

I do not want to flea bomb the house. I don't give them regular baths, and so I'd rather skip that particular stress on them, if possible. I am not adverse to putting something topical on them, but am nervous about their bodies handling it. I did give them all Capstar last night - and have enough to treat them all again. However, that only lasts 24 hours, and only kills the live adult fleas. I have to assume there are more. My vet has recommended Advantage for them. Again, I'll use it, but I'm just nervous for them as they've never had a topical chemical applied in the past.

I've seen anything from using Borax (the 20-mule team kind, not boric acid) to diamtomaceous earth on my carpets. I'd like to use as few chemicals as possible - and would like to be as least stressful for my kitties. Anyone ever used a product called Mycodex spray? What about treating my yard, any suggestions as to product to use?

Thanks in advance.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

I'm in this same boat. My SO's dogs brought fleas into my house and now all my cats have fleas. I HATE fleas.

Since I know my SO's dogs come in the house sometimes, I have my cats on Advantage II but it doesn't seem to be working any more. I'm thinking of switching to Comfortis or Revolution but I don't know which would be better. The cat all really hate the Advantage and it seems to burn them.

I'll be interested in other people's responses to your question.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Put human grade DE on them. It does help with the fleas, although not as efficiently as topical monthly flea control. Flea comb them several times a day. Frontline is now useless, but Revolution still appears to work.

Just a quick update!

The dogs had K9 Advantix II applied, and I did go ahead and reluctantly apply Advantage to the kitties. They all seemed to tolerate it just fine, though one seemed to scratch at the spot more than the others. (Maybe he was just sensitive to the feeling of the liquid?) I ordered and received 2 bottles of Mycodex (1 bottle treats 500 square feet). For maximum effectiveness, I vacuumed the heck out of my carpeted areas before I sprayed the Myxodex. It is an aerosol spray, you spray from a height of 2-3' in a broad back and forth sweeping motion - but do not soak the carpets or other areas, just a light mist is all you need. You do not have to remove animals or humans from the house, but you should keep pets off of the sprayed areas until it dries. In my house yesterday, I kept them off (not without some difficulty, sneak jerks) for about an hour. There is an odor with it, but not super unpleasant - I sprayed some B&BW room spray after and all was fine. The spray company claims to kill all 4 stages of fleas, and to remain effective for 200+ days. We'll see! So far, so good!
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson