The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Prayers, jingles, good thoughts needed

Today is a big day for my family and dozens of other families in my beloved carriage business, not to mention for NYC history and tradition.

A small group of extremists, deep-pocketed businessmen, and their hired guns have succeeded in duping enough people into believing that our carriage horses are abused and lead awful lives that it has become an issue in the NYC mayoral election.

Today is Primary Day, and these liars, dissemblers, and deceivers have their well-moneyed get-out-the-vote effort dispatched to every corner of the city.

We are doing what we can - it is truly a David and Goliath scenario.

This fight has taken a terrible toll on all of us - we have not been permitted to live our lives, care for our families and our horses, and generally pursue our happiness, as we have to constantly fight for our right to exist.

But I will begin this day with a prayer and a smile - that's the way to do it. I will be the happy warrior

This is a conscious effort on my part - believe me, it doesn't come naturally.

What comes naturally is the rage, the sadness, the frustration at being unfairly maligned, vilified, marginalized, and oppressed by people who don't know the first thing about me, my family, my business, or my horses.

But I will use that rage, sadness, and frustration as fuel for my efforts today, as I do what I can to get public servants who support us elected into office.

No matter what happens, we will never give up. The law that is proposed would effectively seize our horses - but as I said before, they will get our horses when they pry the lead ropes from our cold, dead hands.

I am humbly asking for your prayers and good thoughts today - please take just a moment, and pray or send good thoughts for the carriage folk of NYC. We would really appreciate it
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

4 members found this post helpful.

Here's hoping that things turn out how you want and need them to turn out.

Seeing how I am from the Philadelphia area I will send you with this thought: Vote early and often. (Just kidding)
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

2 members found this post helpful.

You and all of your families and horses and city will be in my prayers.

3 members found this post helpful.

The world is getting crazier and crazier, too bad you are in the middle of it.

Those that are persecuting you and what you do don't realize that they are also shooting themselves in the foot.
    There is NO ONE that is not doing something someone else can object to and ask they be banned, just because THEY, in their extremist views, think all should do what they demand.

I hope you squeak by this time, but sorry to say, even if you do, you know there is no end to the harassment and that they will keep coming after you.

The "rebels without a cause" of the past, kept at bay by the rest of the sensible ones, seem today to have the high hand, which doesn't bode well for our world.

The world is becoming more and more absurd.

I'm praying too...

Why, exactly, would anyone want to put a well-regulated industry like the NYC carriage horses, an industry that supports not just the owners and drivers, but also vets, farriers, carriage builders, tack shops, etc, as well as hundreds of horses, out of business? Because someone with deep pockets and access to celebrities that will say whatever you pay them to say comes along and wants the property the business occupies?

Why would NYC want to be seen as even a little bit anti-business? How does this make any sense in the current economic climate? Can NYC afford to have this many additional people out of work? (and, please, spare me the talk of "electric cars" - a prototype hasn't even been built yet)

If I owned a business in NYC, no matter my personal opinion about the NYC carriage horses, this would concern me deeply. Less people working, businesses thrown aside even with NO EVIDENCE OF WRONGDOING, means more taxes for everyone else. How does that equal a better future for any New Yorker?

The reality is, as you well know, this is not just about the carriage horses. Heck, it's not even just about horses. It's about putting a well-regulated industry out of business for all the wrong reasons.
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

Jingles, thoughts and prayers from Illinois.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

1 members found this post helpful.

Looks like DeBlasio is going to win. I like what he stands for...is he for or against the carriage horses?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Looks like DeBlasio is going to win. I like what he stands for...is he for or against the carriage horses?
    He has been bought and paid for by Nislick and NYCLASS. Flipped from being a supporter of ours to being our biggest enemy once the money started rolling in. So he stands for nothing except the worst in politics.

Here ya go: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Interesting. I completely agree with his stop and frisk criticism though. Quinn is just Bloomberg lite.

Interesting. I completely agree with his stop and frisk criticism though. Quinn is just Bloomberg lite.
    Quinn has the identical stop and frisk policy that DeBlasio has.

Quote Originally Posted by michaleenflynn View Post
    Quinn has the identical stop and frisk policy that DeBlasio has.
    That's a pretty new policy of hers, isn't it? I could be wrong, I'm only watching from afar.

We have enough problems of our own in Kentucky.

Interesting Op Ed in the Times

None of this is a big deal for the average New Yorker; it doesn’t come up on the campaign trail unless there are people waving “Christine Quinn Hates Animals” signs. What we have here is a lesson in intensity of preference. The animal rights folks started early, and drew a bunch of wealthy donors, some of whom had long-running issues with Quinn that had no relation to four-legged friends. They ran tons of ads, organized phone banks and showed up with their protest signs, throwing the campaign off-stride.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/05/op...ral-races.html

I hope the rest of the horse world will pull their heads out of their asses and realize why this is bad. Hate carriage horses in the city? Good for you. Don't buy the slippery slope AR tripe that Bluey vomits every second? Me neither.

But guess what. These politicians are calling the NYC carriage industry ABUSE. Abuse so shocking and horrible that it must be outlawed.

What's so abusive about it, you might ask. The reasons repeated by the interests funding these politicians are these:

"Horses and cars don't mix." I cringe about this one every time my hunt club takes over an entire roadway, with a caravan of hounds and horses so long that you can't see where it starts or ends. This behavior will now be publicly accepted as abuse, because a candidate for mayor said so and he won.
    "Horses have died." Well how many horses have very publicly died show jumping or eventing? Those horses are exploited, because the media now views any death of a horse while working as proof of abuse. Just ask Jerry's owners.
    "No turnout." All of you eventers who don't turn your horses out for weeks at a time before a big event better not even try saying that it's not abuse when you do it.

You've heard these comparisons before. But what changed in the last few weeks was how the momentum has shifted. These norms of housekeeping have now been litigated in the public space in the most visible of ways. And what we all thought was acceptable horse care is now seen by the everyday person, who has never been near a horse, as abuse. It became so widely accepted during this campaign as to be unworthy of any further debate.

When will WE drown out the masses? Because make no mistake, it's no longer an extremist notion that horses should never be seen sweating in public. We all sat around while the extremists persuaded everybody else that what we were doing with our horse wasn't ok. That ship sailed. Now we're up against the otherwise merely ignorant people who didn't care. They saw one too many dead horse pictures, clicked a link, and found all the evidence they needed. Their worst fears were reinforced by a gleeful media, and then firmly sealed in their minds upon seeing a man carried into the mayor's office of our biggest city on a tidal wave of voices agreeing that the horse abusers have to go...

We better start bailing out this boat people.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

5 members found this post helpful.

Well yeah - most of it isn't a big deal for the average NY'er. Honestly the only people truly affected directly would be the carriage industry folk, who are a tiny (and politically likely insignificant, unfortunately) portion of the electorate. And tourists - but NY tourism does not rely on carriage horses, so in numbers would remain unaffected by either outcome.

I have no clue what any of them stand for since my only info about this issue comes from COTH, but like LauraKY's comment, I wouldn't expect the race to turn on the carriage issue at all. The politician who wins may be bought, but I don't think whether or not he or she wins would depend on whether he or she supports/is against the carriage horses - the RARA's will simply buy whoever wins.
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    Well yeah - most of it isn't a big deal for the average NY'er. Honestly the only people truly affected directly would be the carriage industry folk, who are a tiny (and politically likely insignificant, unfortunately) portion of the electorate. And tourists - but NY tourism does not rely on carriage horses, so in numbers would remain unaffected by either outcome.

I have no clue what any of them stand for since my only info about this issue comes from COTH, but like LauraKY's comment, I wouldn't expect the race to turn on the carriage issue at all. The politician who wins may be bought, but I don't think whether or not he or she wins would depend on whether he or she supports/is against the carriage horses - the RARA's will simply buy whoever wins.
    I think that's the issue. Unless you are a carriage horse owner or pretty concerned about the rights of horse owners, the issue is going to be a blip on the screen.

Time for the carriage owners to make nice to DeBlasio. There's still time before the general.

He appears to be on the side of the little guy, not the big developers. Time for a big old push to point out exactly why NYClass wants to eliminate the carriages.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post

It doesn't matter. The raras will loudly proclaim this to be the reason. And never mind that either...what they will say to every potential candidate in the future, long after the carriages are gone is "how will you vote on -insert AR issue of the day-? Because if you will vote this way, we can help you win. Look what we did for DiBlasio."

Of course the carriage issue didn't sway the voters! But the extremely negative anti Quinn ads did. Funded by NYCLASS.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA View Post
    It doesn't matter. The raras will loudly proclaim this to be the reason. And never mind that either...what they will say to every potential candidate in the future, long after the carriages are gone is "how will you vote on -insert AR issue of the day-? Because if you will vote this way, we can help you win. Look what we did for DiBlasio."

Of course the carriage issue didn't sway the voters! But the extremely negative anti Quinn ads did. Funded by NYCLASS.
    From what I'm seeing, it's Quinn's policies and ties to Bloomberg that did her in. Like I said, she's just Bloomberg Lite.

This really has to be a wake-up call for all horse people. If you think it can't happen to your discipline or your industry, think again. The RARAs are shouting "cruelty and abuse" if you earn any income from your equines, because your horses are "slaves." If they aren't turned out 24/7, "running free in a field," that's unnatural. Bits, whips, spurs, shoes -- all horrifying. The NYC carriage horse industry is the canary in the coal mine. I think the USEF really has to get become proactive for all of its disciplines. I hope officials are listening and not thinking "It can't happen here."

I'd love to pray for you, but I'm tied up praying for Wall Street.