The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tape for stall mats?

I would like to join my stall mats to one another with tape, and have found several types of tape that don't work.

Does anyone know of a type that works for sure? There are some silicone-based tapes that claim to stick to rubber, and are resistant to "moisture", but Miss Stall Pig puts out a Clydesdale hitch's worth of urine at least twice a day.

Ta.

Have you tried caulk possibly? I've used some caulk (clear) to fill in the edges of the mat under the feed tub so any spilt grain is easy to sweep up. Works like a charm on the edges anyway.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

why would you want to join them? I've found that getting them as tight as you can and then filling the small cracks with crushed stone (or whatever base you used) helps a lot with drainage. Isn't that why we spend so much money to put a good base underneath mats?

My first reply went into the nether.

These mats are over cement, in a "stall" that I used for hay storage. (The building was purpose built for cows.) The size of the stall is roughly 10 x 20, and more trapezoid in shape than rectangular. I keep my "unplanned" boarder in it--unplanned because an acquaintance lost her boarding facility when the place was sold, & couldn't find any other place within driving distance from her house; and I swore I'd never again have a boarder since the last time, 17 years ago. But this woman has no unruly small children, and pays her board like clockwork.)

The mare has been hospitalized for impaction colic--eating off sandy dirt. She drags her hay out of the floor feeder and onto the ground whenever she can, so I feed her in her stall. Unfortunately, she's very active in there, and manages to displace her mats on a regular basis. Then, the urine runs under the mats and I get to roll them up, mop it up, & try again. IF I could somehow keep the mats together under her movement, it would be a blessing.

I hadn't thought of caulk, and wonder if it would be too permanent for cleaning under the mats if I had to.

If I glued them down, it might be the best answer in this particular situation. The mats aren't new, so they wouldn't necessarily be sacrificed. Or, I could fence a run for her and use a thick layer of manure dust to keep the hay off the dirt when she dragged it outside.

What do you think?

The original owners of my barn bolted the mats to the concrete. They are super tight together then are bolted down and never move....ever. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    The original owners of my barn bolted the mats to the concrete. They are super tight together then are bolted down and never move....ever. I love it.
    What type of hardware did they use for this? Screws with flat washers? This sounds intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermein View Post

Or, I could fence a run for her and use a thick layer of manure dust to keep the hay off the dirt when she dragged it outside.

What do you think?
    Manure dust? Really? Not the best thing for her to be breathing in...

Couldn't you provide her with a slow feeder? They are so easy to make and keep the horse's head down for proper nasal drainage. Check out steksinoly on YouTube. He's got 2 videos of the slow feeder being filled and being used. I've switched all my horses and donkeys to this slow feeder.
    Last edited by RutlandH2O; Sep. 11, 2013 at 08:48 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by spacehorse View Post
    What type of hardware did they use for this? Screws with flat washers? This sounds intriguing.
    Yes exactly, I think they used a bolt with a washer...it lays flat in the mat though...I will try and get a picture tonight. The owners ran a concrete business so the guy knew all sorts of tricks.

There are also stall mattresses, which have a continuous piece of rubber, no joints. About to put those in a new barn I'm building.