The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Scar revision

A few weeks ago I faceplanted in the barn aisle and now i have a lovely 3 inch scar running down the middle of my forehead. Yes I did go to the ER and get stitches and they did the best they could. It took them what felt like an hour to dig the grit out of the gash. I've been told I can have scar revision treatment. Has anyone done this?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I haven't done it but I have seen nice results when people have done it. If your cut was vertical, it probably will leave a big scar. After the scar matures and shrinks a bit, plastics may be able to move it up to your hairline or partially convert it to a horizontal scar. A scar that follows the natural lines of the face usually looks like one more wrinkle. If the scar is depressed, they can sometimes inject under it to make it flat. Talk with at least one plastic surgeon and see what they recommend.

Most surgeons recommend you wait at least six months at the very minimum, but say 12 is best.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I have had a lot of luck with the silicone scar pads like these:
    http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-deta...s?skuId=336955
    They really helped to flatten the scar. I just slept in them. Mine was on a 2.5 in surgical scar. You may want to use them at least until you get into a plastic surgeon.
    I have been told it is REALLY important to either cover the scar or use a very high SPF value any time you are in the sun. That will help with the color of the scar.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Had it done to a vertical abdominal scar. Worked wonders. Was almost as painful as the original surgery. Healed better and faster though.

Insist on a plastic surgeon the next time, but yes, scar revision can work very well.

Keep that scar covered well in the sun though, with a total sun block or a hat.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

In the meantime use Bio-Oil on it. I face planted on lava rock on a Kauai beach this summer. I have a corner tear about 1/2 by 3/4 inch on my forehead. I had 10 stitches but it wasn't a plastic surgeon. I've been using Bio-Oil since I got home and the scar has gotten much less obvious. Mine also got infected because the dumb ER doc wouldn't give me antibiotics. I use it every night and it's made a huge difference.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The gash starts a little below and between my eyebrows and extends up almost 3 inches. It's still a bit sore and swollen around the edges. I;m keping it out of the sun and putting a scar reducing oil on it. Tomorrow will be my first attempt at putting a bandaid on it and riding.

It's ugly
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.