The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pedigree (wb/tb)

Looking at a mare out of this TB mare:
    http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...year=&breeder=
    By this stallion (GP Oldenburg):
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/tantris4

Full brother evented UL, mare has done mostly dressage... Aged 13 sound and rideable.....

Jennifer

Man O'War on a 5 gen page. It's 2013, you're not going to see that anymore!
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

you'd be surprised, i've seen battleship VERY close on a dam side, 3 in IIRC! but you are right, it is not often you see it in 5.

this mare's pedigree is interesting to me. it is interesting to see ambiorix in an american pedigree, but it makes sense as he was not very suited to the french tracks and was shipped overseas. he made a lot of money for a french horse, and has a lot of blood foals in his name. i've only seen him in a few pedigrees, and not very close up either -- actually, i have only seen him in three and two were from a bold ruler line. i have heard he throws try-hard horses that make many starts, but they were not so fast, and if i remember, there are not very many successful racers with his blood.

i'd be more interested in seeing what the sire passes on than the mare, but i know more about tbs than wbs so hopefully someone else can chime in.
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Things to love about this pedigree.
    1) She's got all three of the foundation stallions on the first page, which is unusual. Herod through Ambiorix and Matchem through Battleship. Both of these are reliable for jumping.
    2) Battleship on the first page. A very rare and promising thing to find.
    3) High Voltage--one of the best mare lines for sport.
    4) Double to Son In Law in the mare, and the sire, of course, must have Son In Law/Dark Ronald multiple times. This bodes well for the dressage side of an event horse.
    5) Ariel and Eternal, both great lines for jumping horses from the Glory days of the TB in show jumping.
    6) Heliopolis and Spotted Beauty--both great lines for jumping horses from the Glory days of the TB in show jumping. Spotted Beauty brings another line to MOW, and is out of a mare by Stefan The Great, a Roi Herode line stallion, who produced well for sport in the US. Spotted Beauty is the dam of the stallion Dark Tiger who was sent to France and was the sire of some some excellent jumping SFs, including Nighty Fontaine and Nightko. Nighty Fontaine is the dam of Alligator Fontaine and Nightko was the sire of Sarastro, the #1 French eventing stallion before his recent death. Heliodorus was the sire of Helianthium, Idle Dice's dam, and is another Bay Ronald line.

Dastur is a very reliable jumping line and brings another Bay Ronald line to the mix, as does Rustom Pasha. This mare has as much Bay Ronald as I've seen in recently, and it's my personal opinion that this is the foundation line for dressage movement in the TB.

Even the Argentines are good with Rustom Pasha and (way back) a line to the Dollar line Old Man.

On the TB side this mare has a wonderful pedigree for sport.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    you'd be surprised, i've seen battleship VERY close on a dam side, 3 in IIRC! but you are right, it is not often you see it in 5.

this mare's pedigree is interesting to me. it is interesting to see ambiorix in an american pedigree, but it makes sense as he was not very suited to the french tracks and was shipped overseas. he made a lot of money for a french horse, and has a lot of blood foals in his name. i've only seen him in a few pedigrees, and not very close up either -- actually, i have only seen him in three and two were from a bold ruler line. i have heard he throws try-hard horses that make many starts, but they were not so fast, and if i remember, there are not very many successful racers with his blood.

i'd be more interested in seeing what the sire passes on than the mare, but i know more about tbs than wbs so hopefully someone else can chime in.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

1 members found this post helpful.

Mare's dam was a conformation hunter apparently.

Tantris was a GP dressage stallion and sired some jumpers too? I don't know a lot about Trak bloodlines.... Maybe I'll post on the breeding forum.

Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdCharm View Post
    Mare's dam was a conformation hunter apparently.

Tantris was a GP dressage stallion and sired some jumpers too? I don't know a lot about Trak bloodlines.... Maybe I'll post on the breeding forum.

Jennifer
    You may have more luck on the breeding forum. I looked at the sire and only know a bit on Trak lines but my gut said it was a dressage bred sire but probably still light.....but a lot of Traks are dual use sires. Many of the Trak names I have heard before (as dressage sided) where the Oldenburg names were not as familiar other than Absatz (who is known more in the Hanovarian lines--good horse to have in a pedigree up close). And Volturno--nice nice horse (He was an UL event horse--olympics and the 1978 Worlds).

So I'd say this sire is probably pretty modern looking and crossed on a TB--is a good type of UL Eventing.

I'd grab that mare for breeding.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Sep. 9, 2013 at 02:06 PM. Reason: typo
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

At my barn there is a 2 year old out of a TB mare by Tantris that the BO owns. He is only 2 and a late May baby. He is already 16.3 hands. He has been lightly backed and has done some little trail rides out the back of the property. He led both times.
    Has walked across tarps. Very sensible and very brave.

As a yearling went to Harrisburg for 4-H and won his division. Was very well behaved for his handler.

Tantris is local to me. I have been told that his babies do well as hunters and jumpers.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Don't know much about Traks either, but the topline through Arogno is the same top line as the Holekamps stallion Baron Verdi. They mainly marketed him as having a dressage topline, although BV did breifly event to the Preliminary level.

I've known a bunch of Tantris babies - they're generally huge and very amateur friendly. Several hunt with Cheshire so are quite brave and good jumpers. He did dressage but his babies definitely can jump.

Well, I got her. Dang she's big, and she likes to stand with that head up HIGH! But rides pretty light. We'll see how she does when she's back in work!

Pic before I get chastised for not including one (NOT current):
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Jennifer