The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Default Coming Soon To A Town Near You.....

Are MRAPs. Don't know what those are? They are Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicles. If the term sounds unfamiliar, don't worry, you've seen them before. In Iraq and Afghanistan. They were ushered in after the blitzkreig of IED attacks in the middle of the campaigns to protect soldiers and now they will be making their way to your local police department courtesy of the DOD, who doesn't have the space or money to maintain the stockpile of vehicles that they brought back from Iraq. You might be wondering how much it will cost in your taxpayer dollars to get these vehicles but rest assured, you'll only be picking up the tab for maintenance as they are being given away for free to any local police department that fills out the paperwork. So far over 60 have applied to obtain at least one of the vehicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US...o_the_pier.jpg
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

2 members found this post helpful.

Nothing is free. The total crap we are being taxed for, or obliged for with federal deficit spending. The militarization of police likely violates the Posse Comitatus Act and is obscene. Think Barney Fife with not the one bullet, but an armored personnel carrier and enough ammo to level Mount Pilot.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

5 members found this post helpful.

One step closer to a totalitarian society...
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

9 members found this post helpful.

So I guess you both would have been happy to leave these vehicles in Afghanistan for the Taliban and Iraq to sell to whoever pays the highest dollar.
    We have already paid for the things, why not put them to good use?
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

4 members found this post helpful.

The justification for giving them to local law enforcement is that they will be used to combat terrorism on US soil in addition to instances where they will face potential armed threats though many police departments, including the ones in my area, routinely serve warrants with tactical assault teams and armored vehicles. Some police departments have actually had them since they became available to purchase in 2007 and several government agencies who fall under the domestic security category were given MRAPs before the military started fielding them.

3 members found this post helpful.

Well, there's a little truth in that, but not the whole truth.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/ssabullets.asp
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    So I guess you both would have been happy to leave these vehicles in Afghanistan for the Taliban and Iraq to sell to whoever pays the highest dollar.
    We have already paid for the things, why not put them to good use?
    I guess that depends on your opinion of "good use."
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    The justification for giving them to local law enforcement is that they will be used to combat terrorism on US soil in addition to instances where they will face potential armed threats though many police departments, including the ones in my area, routinely serve warrants with tactical assault teams and armored vehicles. Some police departments have actually had them since they became available to purchase in 2007 and several government agencies who fall under the domestic security category were given MRAPs before the military started fielding them.
    Oh, you mean like the SWAT team that went in to impound the organic tomato farm that they thought was weed? Idiots.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

9 members found this post helpful.

Snopes wrong again (I never know WHY I bother to click on any snopes links but a wrong should be corrected)-

"The MRAPs we have are not new," Ross Feinstein, a spokesman for DHS, told Business Insider. "We have been using them for years."
    The vehicles are modified for use with the DHS Special Response Team — specially trained, fully armored agents dispatched during the most severe and high risk situations, according to WOAI.
    "[The vehicle] is used in the execution of high-risk warrants — including drug trafficking, smuggling, and contraband," Feinstein told Business Insider. "We have 16 MRAPs nationwide."

http://www.businessinsider.com/homel...ts-mrap-2013-3

And..

"The Murfreesboro Police Department has acquired a Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicle from the Department of Defense through the Tennessee Department of General Services Property Utilization Division, Law Enforcement Support Office. The MRAP was acquired at no cost to the City of Murfreesboro (other than standard maintenance and transportation costs from Fort Campbell, KY)."

http://www.murfreesboro.com/2013/08/...-mrap-vehicle/
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Snopes wrong again (I never know WHY I bother to click on any snopes links but a wrong should be corrected)-

"The MRAPs we have are not new," Ross Feinstein, a spokesman for DHS, told Business Insider. "We have been using them for years."
    The vehicles are modified for use with the DHS Special Response Team — specially trained, fully armored agents dispatched during the most severe and high risk situations, according to WOAI.
    "[The vehicle] is used in the execution of high-risk warrants — including drug trafficking, smuggling, and contraband," Feinstein told Business Insider. "We have 16 MRAPs nationwide."

http://www.businessinsider.com/homel...ts-mrap-2013-3

And..

"The Murfreesboro Police Department has acquired a Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicle from the Department of Defense through the Tennessee Department of General Services Property Utilization Division, Law Enforcement Support Office. The MRAP was acquired at no cost to the City of Murfreesboro (other than standard maintenance and transportation costs from Fort Campbell, KY)."

http://www.murfreesboro.com/2013/08/...-mrap-vehicle/

Yes, it seem snopes is on the downhill slide. I've heard about the MRAPs for awhile now. So, will they be used for us or against us?
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon

1 members found this post helpful.

Therein lies the question LOL!!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Good guestion, Kathy S. Swat team showed up a gold mine in Alaska (think
    a mine like that in the reality show) to check their drainage ponds or some such
    nonsense.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Checking a gold mine in Alaska might require an armored vehicle and SWAT team--some scary, armed, very protective owner/operators of those mines! Ask an Alaska State Trooper. Everyone is armed in the bush.

Honestly? I'm glad they aren't leaving them behind as "surplus" and they are getting a second use. I guess I'm just a big Pollyanna, but I'd like to believe my police department isn't going to use them for evil, and would be better armed/protected than the bad/dumb guys they are facing. With the proliferation of internet sales of arms and ammunition, and the crazy "Obama's taking my guns!" mentality in this country, there are some unstable, well-armed folks out there. I'm more afraid of them and their drunk, stupid cousins than I am of my local police.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

My brother, who has a boat business, and is ex-Navy, just bought one of these at auction. https://www.google.com/search?q=mili...w=1092&bih=522

Has it up and running on our small, placid lake, but it is kind of neat. And he's not the type to blast it at 50mph. But sure has a big smile on his face when he's in it. I just wonder where it's been.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Checking a gold mine in Alaska might require an armored vehicle and SWAT team--some scary, armed, very protective owner/operators of those mines! Ask an Alaska State Trooper. Everyone is armed in the bush.

Honestly? I'm glad they aren't leaving them behind as "surplus" and they are getting a second use. I guess I'm just a big Pollyanna, but I'd like to believe my police department isn't going to use them for evil, and would be better armed/protected than the bad/dumb guys they are facing. With the proliferation of internet sales of arms and ammunition, and the crazy "Obama's taking my guns!" mentality in this country, there are some unstable, well-armed folks out there. I'm more afraid of them and their drunk, stupid cousins than I am of my local police.
    Well, you'd better hope your PD doesn't adopt a "Shoot first, spin it later!" approach to dealing with anyone they consider a threat. My local PD probably - and I said probably because there's no known source of information to do comparisons - has the highest officer-shooting-an unarmed civilian rate in the country. At least a dozen a year on average for the past ten years and those cases are always kept private and under the rug under VA's FOIA laws that exempt law enforcement agencies. Only once to my knowledge has an officer been punished for shooting an unarmed civilian and that was because the whole incident was caught on video, plain as day, showing the officer murdering a civilian who was escaping from the officer in his vehicle, by emptying an entire clip of .40 bullets into the poor bastard's vehicle as he drove off from being pulled over.

What I wanna know, can I acquire one free also?

Last year we had a little incident here in the county, a couple of people (including a kid) shot, the shooter on the run...
    A little armored insurance at critical intersections did not sound too bad after the story unfolded: We where at a Wreaths across America ceremony with a bunch of kids, not too far from where the gunman was then stopped...

But really, it's just a really neat recruiting tool for the PDs, and the fun show-off vehicle for the parades throughout the year....

But we do live close to Mayberry....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Never fails to amaze me, after 9/11 happened some people smiled and high fived each other to see Homeland Security beefed up but now those same people decry a totalitarian regime. If you wanted patriotism and safety you got it in spades. If you wanted protection over freedom (which is what was gladly offered up after 9/11) why complain now?

I am not alarmed. Definitely can't leave those things in the Middle East! They are not in the best of shape and will only be good for so long. I hope they get some good use, from a taxpayers standpoint.

I also see from the Snopes article that hollow point bullets were purchased. What's the fuss over those? You WANT your police to use those. They expand in the body, like a mushroom, and have a better chance of stopping in the first target and NOT going through a wall or another person behind them first target. That is GOOD. Cops are supposed to only shoot if they have a clear target without other people behind, but you definitely don't want the bullet entering target and then exiting and going into another person behind a thin wall behind the target. I thought most police used hollow points anyway. I'm pretty sure the cops at the PD I worked in back in the early 1990s used hollow points. Has there been some major change since then?
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

Hollow points are still standard issue in all urban LEOs. My local PD uses .40 hollow points though they may drop back down to 9mm again because of the ammo shortages and costs.