The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Switching to daytime turnout now???

I was shocked this week to come to the barn my horse has been at for one month to discover that their policy is to switch over to day turnout right after Labor Day! Just when the weather in SE Pa is getting nice, the horses are being brought in at 2:30 p.m. and left standing in stalls until 8 a.m. next morning. Somehow let myself be talked out of field board last month (not so pleasant during the day in August).
    Do other barns in the mid-
    atlantic region switch turnout this early??

Are these retired horses? They aren't ridden? Ours are out about 5 hours a day. Then they are ridden, so out of their stalls a good 8 hours. My retired horse is out about 9 or 10 and then brought in for the evening/nighttime. Its what our pastures can support. Horses seem happy with this routine. Never really liked the overnight turnout but we are in the midwest. Mosquitos would drain them dry overnight.
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

That's weird. Mine are still on night turnout and will be until the lows are solidly in the 40's. Even when they are on day turnout they are still out for around 12 hours. Are you at a show barn? That type of schedule is typical of show barns in the area.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

1 members found this post helpful.

Most barns I've boarded at switched from night to day when the weather dictated. I'm wondering if your barn has a lot of kids in school? Labor day also coinsides with the school year. Bringing the horses in for grain at 2:30 would make sense if the majority of horses are ridden after school at 4 or 4:30. Or is the primary caretaker a parent that has to get home to care for kids? If your barn is all working adults, it doesn't make much sense to bring the horses in so early; just makes for messier stalls, more bedding, and more hay to feed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Mine are still out at night. It's still too hot during the daytime. The horseflies are still horrible, the buggers. When the weather gets out of the 90s, I'll start thinking about daytime turnout. Right now they go out about 8 or 9 pm, and stay out until 7-ish. The stall pigs get in & out privileges to a dry lot during the day.

The practical matters that normally dictate a turn-out schedule are;

1 - Flies
    2 - Temperature if turnout has insufficient shade and the area has very high temps.
    3 - Quantity of grass versus number of horses.

The first two are obvious but many boarders do not understand the third. Most farms do not have sufficient sacrifice areas that can be used for turn-out but will keep the horses off the pastures to prevent over grazing. At this point many pastures are getting dry and grazed down. to insure that there will be some grazing time for the next couple of months the farm management may need to reduce pasture time at this point

chicamuxen

3 members found this post helpful.

Central PA here. Our barn usually switches when the nighttime temps get down to the low 40's, which seems to be when some boarders start wanting to put on blankets. We're supposed to get those temps last night and tonight, but then temps are going back up to seasonal levels, so we're still on nighttime turnout for now.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

I am not too far from OP and my barn won't switch for about another month depending on weather.

There are a few horses that stay on night turn-out all year round. This way the BO has a few fields she does not use in the winter unless the footing is perfect.
    My horse is on night turn-out all year. His field has a run-in shed and gets well bundled up so he is fine. It is particularly nice when I am foxhunting, he is a lot less fresh when he has had 12 hours of turn-out the night before. He is part arab so can be a bit up.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I would be more concerned that the horse is stuck in a stall from 2 PM until 8 AM the following day, no matter what the rest of the "schedule" looks like!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

2 members found this post helpful.

The great NE. Horses here will be out until.... Weather permitting.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Mine are out at night until low 70's during the day. That being said, I have switched over early in the past due to barn help going back to college This year is not the case so I can leave them on night turnout longer. Even so, we never bring in until 5 or 6pm with 6am turnout in the mornings!
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

In my experience, the switch from night to day turnout is not based on a date, it is based on the weather, bugs, field condition, and horse. Some of the hardier ones will stay on night turnout until late October, early November or they may start day turnout in August if the weather is temperate enough. Usually August-November and April-May are when we have the greatest turnout options due to weather, bug and field conditions. There is also a period of 3-5 weeks in the spring and fall when the conditions are optimal and some of the horses only come in for meals or to be worked. That being said, day turnout at most boarding facilities I've been at has been from 7/8 am to 2:30/3 pm - this is done to make sure the horses are in and fed before the kids get off school and the adults off work. Night turnout can be as early as 6 pm or as late as 9 pm and they are usually in between 6 and 7 am.

I'm in Central PA and someone would have to break my fingers to keep my horses locked in right now, this is when PA is beautiful!!! Can you go back to field board for a few months maybe? 2:30 pm to 8am is an awfully long time to me........they're spending almost 3/4s of every day in a stall....
    Kerri

OP, you might ask the BO to put your horse out day and night while weather permits. I have paid "full board" in very nice barns where that meant out day and night, in for meals twice a day during spring and fall, weather permitting. I am happy to pay the full board fee during those months because out is where my horse wants to be most of the time then.

Whoever made that decision obviously doesn't muck the stalls.

I'm just down the road from Malvern and I and all of my friends who run barns leave them out at night as along as we can.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    OP, you might ask the BO to put your horse out day and night while weather permits. I have paid "full board" in very nice barns where that meant out day and night, in for meals twice a day during spring and fall, weather permitting. I am happy to pay the full board fee during those months because out is where my horse wants to be most of the time then.
    I have full board customers that actually ask to have their horses left out 24/7 during this time of the year which is fine with me!! My horses are all out 18hrs a day during night turnout and only in for the 6-8 hrs during the hotest part of the day. In the winter, they're out for 10-12 hours depending on the weather.
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

I just swtiched, Im in Ontario though and it was dipping into the high 40s last week at night. I don't bring mine in until 5:30 though, 2:30 seems super early!

Thanks for the chance to vent, and all the good feedback. In this barn, the issue is not that the horses are retirees, or that it is a show barn, or that there are kids coming after school. Overgrazed pastures may be a part of it, and mainly the help getting off work after an 8 hr day that starts around 7 a.m. I'm debating whether to stay; of course, since I have to give 30 days notice, the issue may have gone away by mid-October...

I am confused by what the question really is.

You are upset because your horse is out during the day and not at night because what? Does day turn out mean less time out at your barn or is there some other reason?

I just switched mine (at home) back to day turn out from night turn out. Mine are never actually closed in, only in private paddocks (with stall access and fans, etc) when not turned out together but the time is pretty much 12 hours out and 12 hours in be it night or day turn out.

SW Ohio here - where today we are expected to hit 94 and 70+% humidity. Yea, they're still on night turn out. We turn out at around 4pm, they come back in around 8am. BO will most likely switch them over sometime in October, when the nighttime lows hit around 40. Then they go out 6am to 5pm.

I'd have way more problems with the in their stall 2:30pm - 8am then not having night turnout.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson