The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default Today appears to be Drive Like [A Jerk] day: another rant about poor driving

My commute involves a branch of the interstate that connects two different attachment points of I95 as well as a couple of other major interstates. It's always a barrel of fun, but today was especially special.

Here's what I want to know:

It's a beautiful day. The sun is not in your eyes- in fact visibility is great. The road is unusually not crowded. You have 4 lanes to choose from. There are no cops in sight, nor road hazards. WHY THE SAM HELL ARE YOU GOING 35 MILES AN HOUR ON THE 60MPH FREEWAY IN THE FAST LANE? Two different individuals get the award for brilliant thinking this morning.

Oh, and if you are driving a pizza delivery truck on a two lane one way street with a very wide shoulder, WHY DO YOU THINK STOPPING YOUR CAR AND PARKING IN LITERALLY THE MIDDLE OF TWO LANES OF TRAFFIC IS A GOOD IDEA? If you need to check your GPS, get on the shoulder. Do not shut off your car while you are obstructing two lanes of traffic.

We'll ignore the three different people who tried to merge into me today and the one in the parking lot who didn't look before he backed up and nearly hit me.

I think someone put a Kick Me sign on my little Honda. I KNOW it's not a full moon.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Sep. 5, 2013 at 05:47 PM. Reason: language in title
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

2 members found this post helpful.

So many people drive like jerks.

I drive in San Francisco every day - and the GRID LOCK that those trying to get on the Bay Bridge create is maddening.

Case in point - I sat through THIS LIGHT through 4 cycles yesterday. Notice how the light is green, but yet the intersection is full of cars? AHOLES!

haha I feel you! The whole people merging into me, cutting me off, etc is part of the reason I just bought a really large ass truck. That is white. So now if you don't see me coming down the road I really think you either need to pry your eyes away from your cell phone, or get them checked.

I used to drive an ORANGE sport trak. You'd think people should be able to see you? Think again!

Everyone in western Washington forgot how to drive today, it rained. ya know, 'cause rain only happens every other dang day up here. It took me 40 mins to get to work driving the 11 miles on the 5.

Bunch of yahoos. I am not looking forward to getting on the evil 405 later today
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I learned to drive in backwoods VT. Where traffic jams involved tractors and cows. That is mostly where I stayed, and if we took any trips to 'big' cities, it was usually with my Dad or DH. When I went to college it was in backwoods NY, so not much more exposure to driving in congestion there either.

The first time I ever drove in downtown Louisville I literally pulled into a McD's parking lot and sobbed. Then made DH come get me so I could follow him home. I can handle raging stallions, screaming toddlers, and most other stressful situations just fine, but I cannot drive in the city without extreme anxiety, because of the people that y'all are talking about. The tailgating, sideswiping, non-paying attention, jerk faces that I have encountered since my backwoods bubble popped is alarming. I'll take a blizzard and 3 feet of snow/ice on the road any day.

It's getting better now that I have my GPS, but I still refuse to drive through downtown.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

1 members found this post helpful.

There are too many blue hairs out on the road. It is that time of the month.

Saw them ALL in Walmart. OMG, everywhere you went, blue hairs.

Commuting is hell.

All of these stories say to me: drive carefully. Make sure your car and health insurance is good. In my job and personal life, I've seen too many people have life-changing car "accidents".
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Yeppers! Had to have DD at school at 7 for drama. 1/2 mile from the major hwy the 2 lane black top was shut down both directions, so I took another road, only to have to switch my route again because another accident had that intersection blocked. No fog, nothing.

Traffic does not faze me thankfully. I grew up winging around DC when I still had a learner's permit and if you can drive a truck and trailer on 495 at rushhour, you can drive anywhere. Except India. India would scare me
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    I learned to drive in backwoods VT. Where traffic jams involved tractors and cows. That is mostly where I stayed, and if we took any trips to 'big' cities, it was usually with my Dad or DH. When I went to college it was in backwoods NY, so not much more exposure to driving in congestion there either.

The first time I ever drove in downtown Louisville I literally pulled into a McD's parking lot and sobbed. Then made DH come get me so I could follow him home. I can handle raging stallions, screaming toddlers, and most other stressful situations just fine, but I cannot drive in the city without extreme anxiety, because of the people that y'all are talking about. The tailgating, sideswiping, non-paying attention, jerk faces that I have encountered since my backwoods bubble popped is alarming. I'll take a blizzard and 3 feet of snow/ice on the road any day.

It's getting better now that I have my GPS, but I still refuse to drive through downtown.
    LOL. Louisvillians just can't focus.

I kinda like driving downtown, reminds me of city life and city traffic when growing up.

I65, Watterson and Gene Snyder is where all the nutsos are who don't look any further than the hood of their cars at 75 miles an hour.

And of course the semis in the middle of it all, full blast.....

Wasn't there a thread about that?

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

The nice thing about NJ is you always have a reasonable explanation for bad drivers - they're from Philly. Or New Yorker, if you're up north. Still don't understand why rain is like a reset button for people's driving skills, though.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    The nice thing about NJ is you always have a reasonable explanation for bad drivers - they're from Philly. Or New Yorker, if you're up north. Still don't understand why rain is like a reset button for people's driving skills, though.
    Or they're from New Jersey. I live near a college which for whatever reason attracts a lot of students from NJ- I'm not sure if they have a program that NJ state schools don't, or what the story is, but every other car pulling out of there has NJ tags and most of them... well... not poster children for driving skills.

Not that I'm perfect either, but I do try not to actively endanger myself or others!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

1 members found this post helpful.

BF is from NJ and sometimes his driving scares the everloving crap out of me. Aggressive, following too closely, changing lanes like he's playing Frogger-- I can't say that I've ever been in enough of a hurry to feel the need to drive like that.

Ha! If you really want some fun, try driving in Paris. Or Rome. Or Boston. I tried to drive in Paris - started in the wee hours of the morning, when traffic was light. Gave up after about 5 minutes. I actually enjoyed driving in Boston when I lived there - was driving a 1974 rust colored Monte Carlo in 1994. No one messed with that tank. It was like a competitive sport.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    Ha! If you really want some fun, try driving in Paris. Or Rome. Or Boston. I tried to drive in Paris - started in the wee hours of the morning, when traffic was light. Gave up after about 5 minutes. I actually enjoyed driving in Boston when I lived there - was driving a 1974 rust colored Monte Carlo in 1994. No one messed with that tank. It was like a competitive sport.
    OMG- I think Boston is the worst. Twice I have flown into Logan and rented cars where to get to the 'burbs from the airport rental I had to go through the Big Dig. Those people are nuts. Give them a foot and they are in front of you. I offered to let my male co-worker drive back to the airport. His response was "H*ll NO. You are doing just fine. I don't want to deal with these people"

I just fly into Manchester NH instead. Much easier on my sanity.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

My Californian friends say I've turned into a Boston driver. I really don't think so; I am so very very careful compared to most. But I suppose that after 17 years in the area, I've picked up some of the bad habits, just to survive!

SonnysMom, it's a great strategy to go to Manchester instead of Boston. DH and I usually use the Manchester airport rather than Boston Logan; flights are usually less expensive, parking is less expensive (though way up from 15 years ago, when they weren't marketing themselves as an alternative to Logan), and road hazards far fewer.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    My best friend is from NY, and she says it's always f****** Jersey, lol...

I HATE Utah drivers. HATE them. I'm a Cali native. San Fransciso? Sacramento? They don't scare me. UT, though, eek! My sister has lived in Los Angeles for several years, has no problem driving there, but driving through Salt Lake scared the crap out of her.

Since we're generalizing states here - I'm surprised no one mentioned PA drivers.

HOLY crap can they NOT drive! I don't think they teach new drivers in PA that they have blinkers they should use, and that cutting people off in beach traffic is NOT okay.

NJ - I lived there for a year and couldn't handle driving there. They don't believe in road signs and don't get me started on jug-handles. My mom still lives there and she's unfortunately taken on the NJ Driver mentality. Horrible.

In my town though, in the summer, our biggest issue are the idiot tourists who refuse to use the crosswalk and instead stand with their babies/toddlers/pounds of beach gear on the median and then run for it across the highway at a gap in traffic.

Meanwhile there's a perfectly nice crosswalk 20 feet from where they were standing.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

People in SC don't know how to drive. Period. Examples following.

In the Upstate, we have had a torrential amount of rain for a long period of time. And by rain, I mean coming down in sheets so hard you can't see a foot in front of your windshield, lightning and thunder, horizontal wind gusts, etc.

Y'all would think commense sense dictates to stop or at least SLOW DOWN when you're caught in one of these down pours, but nooooo; my wipers are going full speed, I'm crawling at 35mph just to stay alive, and morons are blowing past going the full speed limit.

Every day there's some sort of pile up on 85 because of this.

Happened just yesterday. 85 is a 3 lane highway, and I'm cruising at the speed limit 60mph in the middle lane. Some older guy in a huge sedan is tootling in the right lane ahead of me and as we pass an entrance ramp, a semi appears trying to merge. I can see it ending very badly, so I slow down and start honking my horn, letting the guy in front know he can switch lanes left and get out of the way; that semi is merging no matter what you do.

Sure enough, old guy is not paying attention or doesn't care, forcing semi truck to blast around him on the right, almost go off road, and then end up in front of him.

I am TERRIFIED about the winter driving down here. Being from OH, I can handle just about anything icey or snowy. The nutters around here, not even close.
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars