The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1985 trail-et... $3k a good deal?

Hi All.... I know, another 'is this a good trailer deal' thread... I'm sorry!!

I found a trai-et about 4 hours away from me and at first I thought it was a swell deal at $3,000. I called yesterday and found out it's a 1985 model. It looks fantastic. New wiring with LED lights. New-ish tires. Not major cosmetic flaws. Wood floor is in good shape and steel undercarriage looks good. I wouldn't have bat an eyelash if she said $3k for a 1995. But $3k for an almost 30 year old trailer seems a bit... much. It's the smaller model with no dressing room, too.

Thoughts please? What are similar models with no dressing rooms that I can do some comp shopping with?

thanks!!

I have a 95 that I paid $2,000 for, but I think I got a steal (it has a dressing room). I wouldn't pay more than $1800 for an '85, but that's just because there are newer 2h BP in the 3k range.

Same price, but with a dressing room:http://www.equinehits.com/trail-et.2...ssing.rm~50469 .

I agree that $3K is likely too high for something of that vintage. I paid $4K for a nearly "mint" condition 2004 (different brand, but high quality) of a 2h BP last fall.

Hundred acres - how did you find that on that site! All I see are 2013 sundowners for $2,800...

That ad seems fishy too... the text description for the location / contact info doesn't match the ad block... le sigh...

No, I wouldn't pay that. I can go get a brand spanking new Adam 2H with a saddle rack in the nose that will last the next 30 years for $3k, so no comparison there.

I just googled 1985 trail-et. I didn't read the ad though, and yeah, that's strange how it doesn't match.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    No, I wouldn't pay that. I can go get a brand spanking new Adam 2H with a saddle rack in the nose that will last the next 30 years for $3k, so no comparison there.
    Where are you getting a brand new trailer for 3k?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Where are you getting a brand new trailer for 3k?
    Yes, please, I want to know the answer to this question too.

Southern VA. :-) I like steel and I like stock sides on my horse trailers, personal preference, so peeps who like an enclosed box of aluminum can expect to may more, I guess.

Although poking around, it looks like they may have gone up to $4k, I was remembering 2008 prices when I shopped. At that point, mine (15' 2H w/ DR) was $5600 new on the lot, so no way would I shell out $3k for the 30 year old.

Southern VA. :-) I like steel and I like stock sides on my horse trailers, personal preference, so peeps who like an enclosed box of aluminum can expect to may more, I guess.

Although poking around, it looks like they may have gone up to $4k, I was remembering 2008 prices when I shopped. At that point, mine (15' 2H w/ DR) was $5600 new on the lot, so no way would I shell out $3k for the 30 year old.
    Do you have a link to this amazing priced place?

I have an '87 Trail-Et New Yorker, warmblood-height and width, with dressing room that I paid $3,500 for six or seven years ago, completely happy with the price I paid and felt like I got a good deal. Could sell it for the same price or more today, I have had people ask me if I'd like to sell it. They're good trailers.

If the one you're looking at is in great shape and has been maintained, I think it's a fair price. Honestly, people look at trailers the way that they look at cars, but it's not the same. There is no "motor" to malfunction on a trailer...it's either in good shape, or it's not. The bearings have either been well-maintained/regularly replaced, or they haven't. And so on and so forth.

Comparing an actual "horse" trailer that, even thirty years ago was many thousands, steel w/aluminum skin, to a $4k-brand-new-in-2013 steel stock trailer is comparing apples to oranges.
    Last edited by GoForAGallop; Sep. 5, 2013 at 02:36 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

I sold a 1989 Trail-Et 2 horse New Yorker with dressing room for just under $4,000 a year ago. It got lots of interest and multiple people came to look at it. The lady who bought it showed up with cash and drove it home on the spot!

$3K is probably a decent price if it's in great condition.

trubandloki, no, they do not have a webpage, it's a small dealer. When I bought mine, they had just listed it on Horse Trailer World. I forget the name, but it's in Danville. I'd imagine mine has gone up too due to rising costs of steel, but just as an example, here is a similar trailer except mine is a straight load, mats, and has a larger, much nicer DR with carpet and extra escape door, so I'd guess my trailer is probably about $1k higher than it was 5 years ago (eesh!):

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/hom....asp?ID=461362

My best friend has a similar straight load with no DR, same brand and it looks fabulous at 25+ years old, so they last very well.

And GFAG, LOL, they are very much horse trailers. Mine is matted and lit and designed specifically for horses. It is not an open stock trailer (although you could remove the padded divider and make it one, handy for moving), although they certainly build those as well, they are less expensive. Horses love the light and air and I'm a ventilation nazi anyway.

That's why I said if you want an enclosed box of aluminum, you are going to pay more. Everyone has their personal preferences, I don't like aluminum at all. In the end, a trailer, like a house, is only worth what someone will pay for it. OP asked for comps, so I offered a few based on my shopping and selling experiences. If OPs preference is different, they should by all means get what works best for them and their horses!

And GFAG, LOL, they are very much horse trailers. Mine is matted and lit and designed specifically for horses. It is not an open stock trailer (although you could remove the padded divider and make it one, handy for moving), although they certainly build those as well, they are less expensive. Horses love the light and air and I'm a ventilation nazi anyway.

That's why I said if you want an enclosed box of aluminum, you are going to pay more. Everyone has their personal preferences, I don't like aluminum at all. In the end, a trailer, like a house, is only worth what someone will pay for it. OP asked for comps, so I offered a few based on my shopping and selling experiences. If OPs preference is different, they should by all means get what works best for them and their horses!
    That's why I put "horse" in quotes when referencing, there isn't an easier way to distinguish. I know the type of trailer that you're talking about, and yes, they're lovely, and sure, OP should consider them in her horse search.

Doesn't change the fact that it's apples to oranges.

For what it's worth I love some good airflow too (windows open in the winter in the barn, natch), and even nervous haulers don't step off my trailer sweaty.

FYI, Trail-ets are steel-frame trailers with aluminum skin. Mine was super heavy, built like a tank, and was in amazing condition even after almost 30 years. Guess that's why I had people knocking down my door to buy it.

Well, I recently bought a 30-year old steel BP trailer for $550 and sunk about $2k into it (new tires, new brakes, new drums, new paint, new wiring, some welding, almost everything DIY), so if the 30-year old trailer is in good condition and needs nothing, it's probably worth it.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

I'd offer $2500 to start...it's a very clean trailer that appears to be well-maintained. While only 7' tall, if that will accommodate your horses, it is certainly comparable to something much more expensive of a newer vintage.

If it is a ramp trailer, be sure you can handle it okay. I had an older Trail-et 2 horse bumper pull (no dressing room) years ago but the ramp did not have the "power assist" on it and I could barely lift it to close it. And it almost took my finger off when it caught on my wedding ring as I was opening it one time- it came down so fast I could barely get out of the way. I sold it to a friend who still has it and loves it (her husband does the ramp!). I purchased a newer Trail-et with a dressing room and light weight ramp and love it. They are great trailers if well maintained and probably worth near what they are asking for the one you are looking at.

You would be hard pressed to get a 2 horse trailer that is safe to put horses in it in my area for less than $2,500-$3,000. The exceptions are stock trailers and pony/QH trailers. Trail-et holds their value in my area.
    Stock trailers and the pony/QH trailers are not very popular in my area and have a low resale value. And by pony/QH trailers I mean those really small ones with half escape doors over the wheel wells and hay mangers.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)