The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default No or Low Carb Recipes or Ideas

Sorry for the alter! I logged in to write something else and then can't log out from my work computer because my browser is messed up..

At any rate, I'm trying to go no carb to jump start some weight loss... but I'm finding eating meat is boring... I have been adding salads and some veggies but my coworker is giving me a hard time about eating veggies because of the carbs. Is that true? I thought you could eat some... like the salad I'm eating right now?

Any good recipes or food ideas? I'm doing egg white breakfast with veggies in the morning and some bacon or ham... been eating a lot of chicken... h ave some steaks in the freezer... and am dying to make broccoli soup, but am chicken now to eat it because of what he said...

Suggestions welcome!

Yes, you can eat some carbs, just be sure to get all the protein that you need:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2012-rst/7128.html

The best diet rule is to eat in moderation and a varied diet and try to not be skimpy on the protein.

Most that try to lose weight end up not getting enough protein.

1 members found this post helpful.

I believe that most of the carbs in vegetables are net carbs and things like broccoli only have like 2 carbs, so I wouldn't sweat it. I do low/no carb and eat pretty much any vegetable I want except corn and potatoes of any kind.

There are things like crustless pizza (crust is made with cheese mixed with eggs) that are low carb that are good. You can use cauliflower as rice or squash as noodles, etc. There are a million resources online for doing low/no carb dishes, so don't limit yourself.

I'm actually trying to figure out how to make a tortilla-like product out of something crepe-ish to use for enchiladas at the moment.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Yes vegetables have carbs, some a lot more than others. My diet mantra is "stems and leaves, no fruits, roots or seeds" for at least 2 weeks.

If you are interested in the science behind low carb read "Fat Chance" by Robert Lustig
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I do best when limiting carbs, as in white flour, white potatoes, white rice, etc and sugar. Check out The South Beach Diet as he defines which veggies are high in sugar and those high in carbs. Also there are some pretty good recipes in the book.
    Lunch today was a salad with cucumbers & tomato dressed with just a little olive oil then topped with a small amount of HB meat cooked with onion, tomatillo, onion, black beans seasoned with chili and cumin. Bad part was some shredded cheese and a little sour cream.
    Stir fry of your fav veggies topped with meat over brown long cooking rice is also yummy and easy to modify.
    Taco, enchildas and "sandwiches" on Romaine is another option.

It is doable, you just have to be open to trying what may be unusual combinations to you
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

One of my "creations" is a pizza made with flour tortillas. I put some shredded cheese between 2 tortillas which provides stability, then spray with some olive oil and top with assorted veggies, cheese and for DH pepperoni. No sauce is used which helps to keep the fat and hidden sugars down.
    We only do this maybe once a month, which helps to calm our pizza craving without blowing our diets.
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Hate to break it to ya Fooler, but those flour tortillas you buy in the store have way worse things in them you need to worry about than carbs.

If you want to make a pizza, look into the cauliflower crusts. Way better.

I do love pillsbury's artisan crusts though! Great to throw on a grill!

I made an awesome Kale salad today that is SO GOOD.

Couple bunches of kale (bunch is a handful to me)
    Handful of raisins
    Handful of pine nuts
    1/4 of a red onion, chopped and thrown in

Dressing :
    Drizzle (about 1tbsp) olive oil
    Drizzle (about 1 tsp) honey
    1 tsp of apple cider vinegar (if you can get Braggs, use that)
    Juice of half a lemon

Just throw that all together and YUMMMMY! And really good for you!

I follow this woman on Feedly (RIP Google Reader) and she has some really yummy recipes and unmasks the icky stuff in the store-brands - http://mywholefoodlife.com/
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Steamed broccoli, with a little pepper and garlic powder instead of salt for taste.
    Greek yogurt, low fat cottage cheese both have a lot of protein in them.

Took boneless skinless chicken breasts, bell peppers and onions all in one sauté pan, with a 1/4- 1/2 packet old El Paso fajita seasoning. Use brown rice instead of Hispanic rice, and whole grain tortillas. A small amount Greek yogurt for sour cream, and pico as desired.

1 cup Greek yogurt with 1/4 packet sugar free lime pudding mix. Tastes like key lime pie
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

^ Yeah I know they are not the best. I try to buy the "lesser of the evils" until I work up enough courage to make my own. Silly - but cakes and cupcakes are no problem, but biscuits, cornbread and piecrusts are just beyond my grasp at this time.

I love some of the "artisan breads", but DH preferrs a very thin crust for his pizza.
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    One of my "creations" is a pizza made with flour tortillas. I put some shredded cheese between 2 tortillas which provides stability, then spray with some olive oil and top with assorted veggies, cheese and for DH pepperoni. No sauce is used which helps to keep the fat and hidden sugars down.
    We only do this maybe once a month, which helps to calm our pizza craving without blowing our diets.
    You might as well eat 2 slices of white bread for every one tortilla, seriously.

Use this: http://www.plainchicken.com/2012/03/...ust-pizza.html

but cook the crust for closer to 20 minutes, depending on your oven. Basically you want it to get a little color to it. It comes out looking like bread and it tastes great.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RacetrackReject View Post
    You might as well eat 2 slices of white bread for every one tortilla, seriously.

Use this: http://www.plainchicken.com/2012/03/...ust-pizza.html

but cook the crust for closer to 20 minutes, depending on your oven. Basically you want it to get a little color to it. It comes out looking like bread and it tastes great.
    So we eat essentially 2 slices of bread as a pizza instead of a sandwich. . . once a month.

Thanks for the link - will give it a try.
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

NO STARCH OR SUGAR. PERIOD! Those are the things that make us fat, sick 'n ugly. Seriously! No bread, raisins, pizza, bagels, cookies, no KIDDING. Ahem! You cannot be "Low-Carb" and eat that stuff! You will be a BLIMPER and I'll buy your Pikeurs on E-Bay!

Now: Low-carb is NOT "low-fat." You MUST replace the carbs you are not now eating with healthy (natural, animal) fats and may do so with impunity.
    Eat the YOLKS of the eggs, and drink full-fat milk, cream in your coffee is even better. The FAT keeps hunger far away. And it will NOT make YOU fat. This is NOT the same thing as "counting calories" or the absurd low-fat starvation diets.

My dinner tonight: Big beautiful fillet of wild-caught sockeye salmon, broiled floating in butter with lemon/dill seasoning and a tiny sprinkle of wild rice in the butter. Big fat dish of boiled green squash with more butter, salt & pepper on the side. 5-oz. glass of raw milk. Scotch & water for nightcap.

Breakfast tomorrow: 3 home-raised pullet eggs, 2 pcs. uncured bacon, cup of tea, coffee with raw cream you can stand the spoon up in an hour later while horses eat.

This way of eating does NOT equal deprivation. Trust me!

2 members found this post helpful.

I so wish raw milk was legal in MD!

Raisins are a starch? Hmm never knew it!

I stick towards more of the paleo way of things, but yeah. What Eboshi said!
    Friend of bar.ka!
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

I did the Dukan diet over a year and a half ago, I lost almost 30lbs and I have kept it off.

I eat a lot of lean protein (chicken, turkey, filet mignon, etc) and I eat a LOT of cauliflower, broccoli, celery, and spinach. I also eat low fat dairy- greek yogurt, low fat string cheese, low fat cottage cheese, etc.

Avoid veggies with a high glycemic index- carrots, peas, potatoes

I would highly recommend Dukan to anyone looking to go "low carb" in a healthy way. I also ate a lot of turkey bacon in the beginning, but now if I want bacon, I just eat a slice or two and I don't sweat it. But for the first few months, I stuck to the Dukan plan religiously. Now I eat whatever I want, but the healthy habits and mindful eating are so ingrained that I rarely eat an unhealthy meal more than 1-2 times a week, which is the goal of that diet long term.

Quote Originally Posted by RxCate View Post
    I so wish raw milk was legal in MD!

Raisins are a starch? Hmm never knew it!

I stick towards more of the paleo way of things, but yeah. What Eboshi said!
    Nope, raisins are a SUGAR along with all other dried fruit. Read the box--you'll die! Watch out for orange juice too--that little glass has like 26 grams of Evil in it.

Well today and yesterday I ate egg whites with veggies cheese and bacon for breakfast, salads for lunch but today I added grilled chicken.... then had chicken last night for dinner and tonight made broccoli cheese soup for dinner. I'm full today. I also am quitting beer but I did finish off the last two tonight.....

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/

http://www.djfoodie.com/

Are a couple of low carb recipe blogs.

There is also a Facebook group - low carbing among friends that post some good recipes.
    Equine Web Design http://www.tbconnect.net | Kingsgate Stud home of Legal Jousting (IRE)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    You will be a BLIMPER and I'll buy your Pikeurs on E-Bay!
    Best quote ever!
    ~please recycle~

3 members found this post helpful.

My favorite side to meat is shredded zucchini and yellow zucchini with a lot of the water squeezed out. I go through at least 5 rounds of squeezing. Saute in olive oil with lots of fresh garlic and pepper. They taste beyond amazing. I could eat them with every meal.

I make stuffed burgers, too. Shredded beef with 2 eggs then whatever my "theme" is mixed in. Last night it was italian cheeses, tons of basil, garlic rosemary, and oregano, finely diced tomatos, and a little bit of pesto. I topped with just a tiny spoonful of pasta sauce and sauteed spinach. Divine. I also do taco themed with taco seasoning, cheddar cheese, onions, and salsa and chipotle ones with seasoning and blue cheese.

I love just roasting or pan frying any vegetable - green beans, spinach, asparagus, peppers, etc. For lunch, I will do a salad or leftovers. Breakfast, bacon and eggs, egg scramble with spinach, basil, onions, peppers, cheese, and topped sour cream, or strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries in plain greek yogurt with a sprinkle of stevia.

...and I can loose almost a pound a day eating this way.
    ~Isabel

Proud owner and Head Groom for Infinity Sport Horse
    Facebook :: Website

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Nope, raisins are a SUGAR along with all other dried fruit. Read the box--you'll die! Watch out for orange juice too--that little glass has like 26 grams of Evil in it.
    Ah yes, the sugars.

I never eat raisins but the kale salad called for cranberries and didn't have any.

Dried fruit I have very little of.

I've been drinking "detox" water and now prefer it over regular. It really helps you get rid of water weight.

10-12 leaves of mint
    half a cucumber
    few slices of lemon
    Put into 2 litre of water and let steep overnight in the fridge.

Drink all day the next day. And the next. And the next.

Don't strain the pieces out, and re-make as necessary. I refresh the ingredients every other day.
    Friend of bar.ka!