The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Light sleeper and snoring husband

So, I have a wee problem with my husband's snoring. He doesn't snore very loudly nor does he do it all night long BUT I am a very light sleeper and I have a hard time falling asleep next to him (sawing logs).
    Does anyone know of any ear plugs that will actually stay put? Those foamy thingies that you squish and stuff in your ears: forget it - they fall out every time. Is there anything better on the market?
    How do you guys deal with snoring SO?

My coworker uses the squishy ones just fine. How are you putting them in, do you just squish and shove? You really need to twist them pretty hard and quickly insert them, that way they swell up far enough in and usually will stay. Otherwise, I really don't know what you could do
    Quarry Rat

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm a light sleeper period, in the summer months we have a window unit a/c and I love the white noise. In the winter i have a white noise machine that is right by my head. Without it I'm waking at every little sound or dog movement.

1 members found this post helpful.

I, too, am a light sleeper with a chainsaw next to me. I kick him and wake him up every time. If he lays on his left side, that is the only position he can be in where he snores less. His doctor said to sew a tennis ball into the back of a nightshirt so that when he rolled over, it would make him uncomfortable and roll back over.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Hmmm. Maybe my technique with the foamy earplugs needs improvement. I squish and shove them in. Sooo, you gotta drill them in?

My hubby snores terrible! Finally went to dr. and has sleep apnea. Might want to check that out. I sleep with ear plugs too. You might have to buy the ones that are spear shaped not the barrel ones. I hope that helps.

There is a technique, yes. Hold them longways between your thumb and index finger, fat end towards your hand. Roll them back and forth with increasing pressure until they're quite skinny, hold tight like that and kind of flip them around past the front flap on your ear and then in as far as you can. Hold them there until they expand. Stay put MUCH better.
    Quarry Rat

Or you can try the plugs I your husband's nostrils.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

5 members found this post helpful.

Can't do the foamy earplugs. Sometimes have to wear them at work and they don't work there for me either...if I get them stuffed in my ear in a way to actually help, they hurt like the dickens when they expand. (Should note, I don't have TMJ but I wear a headset at work and have for years so my ears/jaws are probably sensitive to pressure.)
    My hubby snores too, and the ones I like are these.
    http://www.amazon.com/Macks-Pillow-S...macs+ear+plugs
    They do block out sound and for me are more comfortable. Don't fall out, either.

My husband snores and I am a light sleeper. The mouthguard Pure Sleep works like a CHARM! He barely snores now and when he does, the foam earplugs are enough to keep the noise out!

Quote Originally Posted by appybeads View Post
    My hubby snores terrible! Finally went to dr. and has sleep apnea. Might want to check that out.

This! Once my husband started using the CPAP, no more snoring.

Have him tested for sleep apnea. Seriously! It's nothing to fool around with.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I use the silicone gel type ear plugs. You don't put them in your ear, you just cover the opening with them. They work much better than the foam ones.

I also second getting him tested for sleep apnea, especially if he gets tired during the day. Sleep apnea can cause all sorts of problems, so it's best to rule it out. DH has it and is doing much better now that he sleeps with a BiPAP machine.

Have you tried those nose stripes you stick to the nose before bed? My boyfriend has the same issue and those seem to help.

My husband had severe sleep apnea and the CPAP saved the day for a while; until the dog chewed the cord and then it wouldn't work any more and we didn't have health insurance any more and nobody would sell us the stinking little replacement cord unless we had a prescription... so he snores again. (health insurance starts again in two weeks and then he'll be hooked up again)

I loved the white noise of a fan, the tv, music, anything-but he said it kept him awake. <really??> He wouldn't roll over and started arguing with me in his sleep about whether he was even snoring or not so I finally had to move out of the room or I was going to kill him while he freaking snored. I used to do the earplugs but I was so paranoid about not hearing the smoke detectors or alarms or something with the kids that I had to stop... everyone else in the house sleeps as hard as he does and the whole dang place could fall in on us and nobody would know... they were making my ears hurt after using them so much too. But yes, mish them down into a tiny little tube and then put them in ASAP, they'll expand and you'll start talking very loudly. Also they will compress and get nasty after a while and then you need to either replace them or run them through the wash in a pocket.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Two things for us that helped enormously: DH, who had been pretty overweight, lost about 40 pounds, and we got a new mattress that actually supported his weight and didn't let him just sink into a hole. (It's a natural latex mattress, so supposedly it doesn't harbor bedbugs and such like regular mattresses do, which is great for us since we both have allergy issues. It also really minimizes movement, so now I rarely notice when DH rolls over or gets up.)

For a while there, we slept in separate bedrooms because I get crazy when I don't get enough sleep, and I was dealing with a lot of crap at work that made it hard to fall asleep at all. So for both our sakes, we did separate bedrooms for about six months.

Now we're back in the same bedroom, and the snoring is only an issue if he drinks too much wine, haha! It also helps a lot if I can get to sleep before he comes down.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

My dad is a horrible snorer. Separate bedrooms saved my parents' marriage.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Thank you for all your replies! I will try the Mac's earplugs. Husband is not overweight. He usually snores shortly after falling asleep for a while and then stops snoring. I don't think his snoring is bad enough to warrant a doctor's visit - not that he would go see a doctor (unless severely bleeding or missing body parts).
    We are also getting a new mattress but I am not expecting any miracles from that. I have wandered many a night into the guest bedroom...it's getting a bit old.

I'm a huge fan of a sound machine for just this reason. At times we'll use the A/C for this.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I used to use the foam earplugs inserted as described by the poster above (get them skinny, shove in and let expand)...but then had a baby, so can't use them anymore. However, I run a big box fan (like you'd use at a show in your horse's stall)....love that sound. Also, when we travel, I totally steal the baby's Sleep Sheep HAHA...it plays 4 different sounds...and you can velcro it right by your head....has different volumes too. I think they're cheaper than some of the noise machines too maybe.
    I also mummy wrap myself in the comforter and face away from the husband. Even better if I can get to sleep first, but that's very rare.

I made the husband chat with doc about allergies and such too and he's on a nasal spray and a saline nose rinse...that has helped a TON to clear his nasal passages without the swelling that comes with nose blowing and sniffling (another thing that makes me wanna kick puppies)