The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

How many here paid for their first horse when they were still a kid? How many earned money at their boarding barn to pay board? How many did extra jobs in order to help pay vet and farrier bills? Yep, money was tight. I took eight buses every day to feed and clean my horse at a self-care place. She never missed a meal, always had her bills paid and was the best groomed horse at the barn, by far. She was also in great shape from regular riding.

Two youngsters would do best on turnout together. That is the cheapest rate for boarding. I think she'll be just fine. Welcome to the ranks of horse ownership, young lady!
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

5 members found this post helpful.

Instead of jumping on the kid, why is no one asking why the "rescue"appears to have taken advantage of her and may not have done their due diligence on her financial ability to care for the horses?

I'd like to know who this "rescue" is...looks like they took advantage of a young kid and her parents. My guess is that it's a broker lot masquerading as a rescue. If it's true, that's where the venom should be aimed.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Instead of jumping on the kid, why is no one asking why the "rescue"appears to have taken advantage of her and may not have done their due diligence on her financial ability to care for the horses?

I'd like to know who this "rescue" is...looks like they took advantage of a young kid and her parents. My guess is that it's a broker lot masquerading as a rescue. If it's true, that's where the venom should be aimed.
    "The good people from CBER"
    No, I mean not CBER but the few good people involved in the original trainwreck.

In the end it is the parents who need to do their due diligence.....
    I don't think anybody is jumping on the kid, but pretty much all the adults involved in this deal. Not enough sandwiches to go around to fill a lunch pail, let alone a picnic....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect10 View Post
    Ok, this kid is 12. The 2 horses she bought are a yearling and a weanling. So they'll be ready to be backed when she's around 15 or so. Not so far fetched that she could do it herself with the proper experience or supervision, or find someone to do it cheap. The kid is interviewed in the article, and doesn't seem like a little girl. She even recognizes that the problem is the backyard breeders, not slaughter. She seems like a good, competent kid, and she's doing right by the horses that she rescued.

She was expected to pay for the horses. She did. Other people offered to pay for shipping and board. She could have paid for it if she had to, she has $1400 left over. But nowhere does the article say that if she runs out of money the horses will be less than well cared for. My parents expected me to pay for what I could, but if I couldn't pay for shoes with my babysitting money they would step up and pay the bill. My (unsuitable 3 year old) 1st pony did not go wanting. I don't think these 2 will either. And right now? They don't need much. Food, water, shelter, and hoof care. And it looks like they have it, at a discounted $400 a month.

Some parents want their child to learn responsibility. If they can pay for these 2, and provide them a better life, why not let the kid save them? She could have been the selfish, all about me child we all detest and ignore them because she couldn't immediately win ribbons on them.
    This all may come true. However, she'd be in a much better place to start and train her horses if she'd spent money taking lessons now and rescued horses later. Or had she only rescued one. Or had she looked at the local Craigslist instead of the Washington slaughteryard. Now, I don't know how good of a trainer she is, but I'm pretty sure that her budget won't allow for lessons + board x2 + farrier x2 + feed x2.

At this point, everyone pointing out holes in the story won't help the girl and horses in question. Hopefully, though, it helps other people who might think about doing something similar. I can guarantee there are horses nearer than 5k miles away that could've used a soft landing. It's not a terrible thing to interject some reality into this fairy tale. Reality is where we all have to live, so we may as well get some familiarity with it.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cnm161 View Post
    This all may come true. However, she'd be in a much better place to start and train her horses if she'd spent money taking lessons now and rescued horses later. Or had she only rescued one. Or had she looked at the local Craigslist instead of the Washington slaughteryard. Now, I don't know how good of a trainer she is, but I'm pretty sure that her budget won't allow for lessons + board x2 + farrier x2 + feed x2.

At this point, everyone pointing out holes in the story won't help the girl and horses in question. Hopefully, though, it helps other people who might think about doing something similar. I can guarantee there are horses nearer than 5k miles away that could've used a soft landing. It's not a terrible thing to interject some reality into this fairy tale. Reality is where we all have to live, so we may as well get some familiarity with it.
    My biggest HUH? with the story as told by the newspaper was, if there were horses at the local auction that she KNEW were headed for slaughter and were cheap, why didn't she just get one or two of them? But then again we are getting the story from a newspaper and not her own mouth. She is quoted but if we were able to actually hear what she has to say, some things might be different.

Having been the subject of a few newspaper articles myself, I can tell you that the mileage of the facts may vary once it hits print. Sometimes the whole story changes and you have to wonder exactly what the hell the reporter was listening to if not you when you are talking and they are writing.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    My biggest HUH? with the story as told by the newspaper was, if there were horses at the local auction that she KNEW were headed for slaughter and were cheap, why didn't she just get one or two of them? But then again we are getting the story from a newspaper and not her own mouth. She is quoted but if we were able to actually hear what she has to say, some things might be different.

Having been the subject of a few newspaper articles myself, I can tell you that the mileage of the facts may vary once it hits print. Sometimes the whole story changes and you have to wonder exactly what the hell the reporter was listening to if not you when you are talking and they are writing.
    The cynic in me immediately placed blame on the fact that a sensational story is better marketing than a more commonplace one. Young girl + impossible distance + rescue = more $$$ than young girl + local rescue.

Hope that's not the case.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post

They aren't a rescue, and they do not sell or "collect bail" for any horses. They are simply a dedicated group of people who network in order to give horses one last chance at a home before they really are shipped to slaughter. They don't collect any fees, the payment terms are handled directly by the person interested in the horse and the auction or KB who purchased the horse at auction.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    "The good people from CBER"
    No, I mean not CBER but the few good people involved in the original trainwreck.

In the end it is the parents who need to do their due diligence.....
    I don't think anybody is jumping on the kid, but pretty much all the adults involved in this deal. Not enough sandwiches to go around to fill a lunch pail, let alone a picnic....
    I worked very closely with one of the main people behind Auction Horses back when we really felt CBER stood a chance of being turned around. We spent horses on the phone creating what we felt was a really great plan. The more we talked, the more we began to put several puzzle pieces in place in which we began to discover just how badly things really were under the surface. We only gave up when we realized she had such a solid strong hold on CBER that there was not chance of ousting her and making CBER legit.

I have a lot of respect for the women I worked with, and am glad that someone was able to continue to help horses for all the right reasons and not feel the need to be in the limelight.

The people behind Auction Horses are all volunteers, no one collects any money, and they don't claim to be something they aren't.

Anyone could have gone directly to the auction and purchased those horses. In this instance, it just so happened to be a young girl who is now getting her 15 minutes of fame.

I would like to think her action may inspire other responsible people to do the same thing be it in their own area or not.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post

I also know how the media likes to chop things up and put them back together in a manner they think will add more drama or interest to a story thereby attracting more readers/viewers.

I was interviewed by a TV reporter, and the segment that aired was no where near what I had really said, but they did make it seem more serious based on how they moved things around. I was blown away by how inaccurate the aired piece was compared to the real interview.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Did you ship it in from the other freaking side of the continent?
    Did you expect that people would donate goods, services, and money for it?
    Kid could have copped an auction special locally. Likely cheaper, too.

My first horse cost the princely sum of $85.
    The second one was 20 cents/pound.
    My first horse was $50...a Mustang from the El Monte auction. I was 12, we had no horse experience (though I knew everything of course because I had a PC Manual from the 1950's). My mom bought one bale of hay a week and drove it to the dairy that I boarded at ($25 a month), in the trunk of her Plymouth Satellite. Thank god that in the 6 years I owned that horse she never required a vet, because we didn't even know one.

It's amazing to me, how things have changed. Even though that was my experience, I see this as a horrible train wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    REALITY BREAK!!

Just for frame of reference, what were all of YOUR first horses? Any "pony for Christmas?" "Hissy fit at the Auction?" "Used-up much beloved Schoolie?" "He followed me home from Camp?" or, in my case, "No one else wants to ride this SOB, I'll sell him to you cheap!"

Very few teens who weren't born with a silver spoon in their mouth start out with superior stock from reputable breeders . . . beaucoup many of us rode what we could get. Including MANY who became professionals having learned "on the job."

Carry on . . .

My first horse was a weanling who was auction bound. He was ugly and unwanted. I was very inexperienced and 13. I paid $ 75 for him from the breeder and was able to keep him at my friends house with her dads horse. He morphed into a 16 hand beauty who not only did well in the show ring and from there as my fearless trail partner. He gave me 21 years of joy. We had our bumps along the way, but determination and a willingness to learn can get you through it.

I really hope this girl can have a happy ending too.

I want to know in what kind if fairy tale does hay run $5 a bale.

I just wrote a check to my friend for $35 for one bale of timothy hay ($29.95 +9% tax +$2.75 delivery charge.). Okay, it's a huge bale with over 15 4-pound flakes, but still.
    A helmet saved my life.

2015 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

I just wrote a check to my friend for $35 for one bale of timothy hay ($29.95 +9% tax +$2.75 delivery charge.). Okay, it's a huge bale with over 15 4-pound flakes, but still.
    60 pound square bales run 3.50 for grass or 5.00 for alfalfa here.

I'm in WNY and I filled my barn with ~40# bales this fall. $2.50 off the wagon from 1 farmer. In this case we had to go pick it up and return the wagon (about 5 miles each way). From another farmer I paid $3.50 a bale off the wagon + $10 delivery charge for the load. Generally, in the Northeast IME hay is affordable and reasonably priced.

Christa

In my area bales are normally about 35-45 lbs and anywhere from $4.50 to $6 a bale depending on orchard grass, alfalfa, timothy or mix of those. These are basic 2 string bales not the huge bales. But of course you go through a bale much faster.
    Although if I do the math your bales are about 60 lbs and 4 times the cost but not 4 times the weight. Ouch.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    Thank god that in the 6 years I owned that horse she never required a vet, because we didn't even know one.
    No vaccines? No dental care?

That is what it costs around here for first cutting grass hay - 40ish pound bales.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    You are catching on.
    That's when you realize how big a bliss ignorance is when nothing happened.
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Bristol Bay, grass hay in my area (CT) typically runs $6-7/bale delivered, or $8/bale if you're buying from the on-hand stock at the feed store. Since this girl is in a fairly rural area of Maine with lots of farms, $5/bale is entirely credible.

Candyappy, I love the story of your ugly duckling!

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    60 pound square bales run 3.50 for grass or 5.00 for alfalfa here.
    About the same here.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Nope. No worming either. The farrier came 4 times a YEAR. And for what it's worth, no lessons, no helmet, no proper saddle, and no fancy boots to keep me from dying.....the 1970's were amazing. Nobody ever told us we couldn't.

I'm not saying I agree with this situation - because it's not the 1970's anymore. If it were, we wouldn't be having this conversation since back then I think people minded their own business more often.

3 members found this post helpful.

That's expensive. I pay $3.50 a bale for 55-60 pound bales.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.