The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Young girl from Maine rescues 2 slaughter-bound young horses in Washington State!

Just found this article this morning. Hope it's not a duplicate post.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/09/0...rom-slaughter/

Kudos to all who helped this girl - the transporter drove them cross country with no charge! And several others pitched in as well, and are continuing to do so.

The young lady had saved $1400 from babysitting and odd jobs to lease a horse, then opted to save these two. And is determined to work hard enough to continue to pay their way.

Reading this story is a great way to start a morning.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I read it as young girl obtains 2 horses she can't afford and is dependent upon discounted board, vet and farrier fees in addition to stranger donations in order to sustain them. This is good - how?

42 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Cook View Post
    I read it as young girl obtains 2 horses she can't afford and is dependent upon discounted board, vet and farrier fees in addition to stranger donations in order to sustain them. This is good - how?
    Two orphaned foals with little to no training... with a 12 yo owner that has to work odd jobs to support them and go to school I kind of feel like this girl got taken advantage of when what she really needs is a lease on a good packer. What kind of adult would let this happen? I hate to be a negative Nancy, but this is only going to end in heartbreak unless the parents step up to start paying the bills (including a good trainer).

29 members found this post helpful.

Actually the story states she had saved $3,000 and after buying the horses she now has $1400 left.
    So, she paid $1600 for both horses, and she knows the killbuyer only paid $20 for each of them?
    Correction, she also paid $400 which is the first months board for both horses.... so the horses cost $1200, or $600 each. Still pricey.

I'm with Negative Nancy/English cowgirl, one of these horses is a stallion... this is not going to end well.
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

10 members found this post helpful.

Was this a CBER reincarnation?

Heck, she would have saved money buying from Christy.

5 members found this post helpful.

she got taken.
    And we rejoice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

2 members found this post helpful.

Alagirl I only read one person giving a thumbs up to the situation, and mostly based on the moxie of this young girl and her working hard to save $$ and get a job done.
    I do think the kids heart is in the right place... I just think she needs better guidance if she in fact wants to help horses in need.

5 members found this post helpful.

Oh jeez.

And has anyone else noticed that she's paying for 'expensive corrective trimming' on a young horse whose toes turn out?
    There are definitely young horses who need corrective trimming, but in my experience most young horses turn their toes out, and then their ribcage grows outward, and then they don't turn their toes out anymore.
    And 'expensive'? Why would a corrective trim cost more than a regular one, besides perhaps trimming more often? I think she's got hold of a farrier that knows there's money to be made off a kid who gets sad-eyed-mangy-puppy donations.

And the comments I've read are just full of 'good for you' gush.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Alagirl I only read one person giving a thumbs up to the situation, and mostly based on the moxie of this young girl and her working hard to save $$ and get a job done.
    I do think the kids heart is in the right place... I just think she needs better guidance if she in fact wants to help horses in need.
    Yes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    horses are not like cats where one more does not tip the balance much one way or another.

She could have gotten a really nice horse, rideable, from the kill pen for much less, and would have half - or less than that even - of the followup cost.
    Purchase price is the least of the worries.

The child has her heart in the right place, but the adults had their heads up a dark place!

Not to mention one cannot enter a legally binding contract with a minor.
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Actually the story states she had saved $3,000 and after buying the horses she now has $1400 left.
    So, she paid $1600 for both horses, and she knows the killbuyer only paid $20 for each of them?
    Correction, she also paid $400 which is the first months board for both horses.... so the horses cost $1200, or $600 each. Still pricey.

I'm with Negative Nancy/English cowgirl, one of these horses is a stallion... this is not going to end well.
    Sounds like another rescue/broker screaming "the truck is coming, the truck is coming."
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Wouldn't it be nice if the world was all rainbows and butterflies? I agree that this little girl has a kind heart, but she lacks in $ and experience. Her parents should never have let this happen.

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    Was this a CBER reincarnation?
    Yup.

I do think the girl is a bright ray of sunshine - not many kids put in that kind of work and effort into their dreams, and that's to be celebrated.

I just hope she gets the guidance and proper help she needs, and I do feel a little head-shakey about the particular people and mode of rescue involved here, especially when she probably could have found dozens of horses on her local craigslist or within 100 miles of her front door that had equally dire (if not more so) futures. But that stuff isn't her fault. I do hope things go well for her.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Sounds like another rescue/broker screaming "the truck is coming, the truck is coming."
    Or the same one...

Caffeinated, are you sure it's CBER?

Quote Originally Posted by PaintPony View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice if the world was all rainbows and butterflies? I agree that this little girl has a kind heart, but she lacks in $ and experience. Her parents should never have let this happen.
    'Not to mention one cannot enter a legally binding contract with a minor.'
    Exactly.

You know, I wonder how involved her parents are/were?
    I mean, if anyone has watched how the $$ flows into these 'SAVE THE HORSES' scams... they might think it's a good way to get their kid a horse that others might help pay for. It's not like there aren't a handful or more we could name off the top of our heads who've done worse things.

When the Horse Rescue Europe or whatever they called themselves on Alex Brown Racing Forum was found to be a scam, basically a chick cruising around Europe taking pictures of peoples horses and posting that she was going to 'save them'.... and taking donations... my husband was [jokingly] pressing me to get in the car with my camera and start taking pics of some of the hard luck local cases [that are not prosecutable] to start my own 'rescue'.

1 members found this post helpful.

The primary significance of this event is that it once again puts the issue of horse slaughter out there in the media--and you can see clearly where public opinion comes down.

3--2--1-- DUCK!!!

3 members found this post helpful.

I am glad to see a kid that is willing to work to get something she wants but why is it that people will fall over each other to pay inflated prices to a dealer to get a random nag out of the meat pen, that often has health and mental issues but they won't pay a moderate price for a nice horse with a known history from a local small breeder who produces sane, healthy, useful animals?

12 members found this post helpful.

This rescue isn't related to CBER, however, there are former CBER people that run the forum, however, they are pretty honest in their dealings. What they do do is advertise horses that are currently at the auction and try to find them homes before the kill buyer can purchase them. I don't know how or why she paid so much for those 2 if they were going for $20 each.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sherian View Post
    I am glad to see a kid that is willing to work to get something she wants but why is it that people will fall over each other to pay inflated prices to a dealer to get a random nag out of the meat pen, that often has health and mental issues but they won't pay a moderate price for a nice horse with a known history from a local small breeder who produces sane, healthy, useful animals?
    she's gonna show it to us all and go to Rio with her steeds and win gold....

2 members found this post helpful.

Another kid whose brain has been board washed by Disney fairy tales. Pretty sad.

8 members found this post helpful.

This article is about a child who took on a tremendous financial obligation that cannot be maintained just by babysitting and lawn mowing. One major vet bill and this kid is sunk! The average vet call on colic alone is over $300. I fail to see this being a heartwarming story!