The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Horse with Rabies Bites Owner

This happened in my town. Very sad!

http://www.times-georgian.com/news/a...9bb30f31a.html

Maybe you should add this post to the thread running on the Sport Horse Breeding forum about rabies vaccinations....I think it would add to the discussion.

4 members found this post helpful.

Wow, poor horse and poor owner. The post-exposure treatment isn't fun. And the poor horse, rabies is unbelievably heinous to have to go through. It's torture, poor thing.

People can't really be advocating NOT vaccinating horses against rabies? Are there people that dense? Or maybe they just haven't witnessed rabies as it progresses. Anyone who's seen that won't take ANY chances with that bitch of a killer. It's preventable and cheap, just do it.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

3 members found this post helpful.

Poor horse, poor owner. Horse must truly have been miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post
    Maybe you should add this post to the thread running on the Sport Horse Breeding forum about rabies vaccinations....I think it would add to the discussion.
    Good idea! I did read that thread last week! Rabies vacs are cheap!!

Sounds just awful.

A rabies vaccination has been a core vaccination for my horses the past 15 years. It's about protecting and reducing harm to human life.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    People can't really be advocating NOT vaccinating horses against rabies? Are there people that dense? Or maybe they just haven't witnessed rabies as it progresses. Anyone who's seen that won't take ANY chances with that bitch of a killer. It's preventable and cheap, just do it.
    If you look over at Sport Horse Breeding, you'd be really surprised, I know I was.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

“When the owner went to get the horse out of the pasture on Monday, it bit him,” Hollingsworth said. “When he went to get it out Tuesday night, it attacked him. He said the horse didn’t just attack him, but tried to kill him. When I got there Tuesday night, the horse was in the pasture, chewing on its own leg. Every now and then, the horse would reach over and touch his nose to the electric fence.”
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Scary.

The thread in the sport horse breeding section startled me too, but I figured it was because I live in an area that you are required to vaccinate for rabies and show proof just about everywhere you go.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Wow, poor horse and poor owner. The post-exposure treatment isn't fun. And the poor horse, rabies is unbelievably heinous to have to go through. It's torture, poor thing.

Yes, people really are that dense...can't tell you how many times I've had to argue in favor of this vaccine.

SuckerForHorses...it's as horrible as it sounds. Self mutilation is a common symptom of rabies.

I could tell you stories that would curl your hair and basically make sound sleep impossible. I still have nightmares from time to time of rabid animals. And I'd put my life savings on the line that nobody who has ever seen advanced rabies would EVER try to save $20 on that vaccine. Or go with the "vaccines can cause a reaction too" crap.

I did go read that thread. I'm gobsmacked at those who keep on with the "but there isn't rabies in my area" or "but I don't live in the wilderness." Or even those going on "very few reported rabies cases here." Reported cases means that dead or NQR animals are reported and tested ONLY. Countless wild or feral rabid animals die and decompose without any humans ever knowing every day. And tons of domestic do the same without the humans knowing or testing.

It's cheap. It's effective. You do have it in your area. Sure chances might be low but the gamble is sooooooo very much NOT worth it.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

9 members found this post helpful.

Many years ago, a breeder in our area had TWO sick horses. Vets were puzzled, but suspected rabies, horses were put down. Brains set to state lab for testing. Results negative. For some reason (questions about lab procedures?) tissues were re-tested SIX MONTHS LATER. Verdict: Rabies!! Owners and vets who had handled horses underwent treatment, though obviously it was a big question whether that would be effective at such a late date, though rabies CAN have a very long incubation period. All involved survived, but the law suits! Man!!! They sued vets, vets sued the state, etc., etc.

I think it is worth noting that Carroll County has not had a documented rabid animal since the 50's. While unheard of in my county, it has now happened. I am glad I vaccinate!

1 members found this post helpful.

If you read the thread, actually there is no one arguing against rabies vaccine; the whole thread is an argument in favor. What you are reading is understanding for why OP did not have her horse vaccinated - because many veterinarians don't offer or recommend it in the urban west coast areas. Listening to the consensus of vets in your area doesn't make you stupid.

Interestingly, the reason why I happen to have asked several vets about it is because of threads on COTH many years back.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I would just like to point out that the "vaccines can cause a reaction too crap" is actually very very real.

I nearly lost my horse this spring due to spring vaccines. The horse ran a very high fever for 48 hours, was lethargic and shaky, and developed lymphangitis that I have been treating off and on for the entire summer.

I am seriously considering not vaccinating the horse again.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    I would just like to point out that the "vaccines can cause a reaction too crap" is actually very very real.

I nearly lost my horse this spring due to spring vaccines. The horse ran a very high fever for 48 hours, was lethargic and shaky, and developed lymphangitis that I have been treating off and on for the entire summer.

Did you do all your vaccines at once? Do you know which vaccine caused the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post

There's a huge difference between "I'm not going to vaccinate this horse because he had a severe reaction" and "I'm not going to vaccinate this horse because he might have a reaction".

My attitude toward vaccines is "the more, the merrier", but in the above case I would definitely look into not vaccinating or splitting different vaccines.

My horses get their rabies vaccine every year. I don't care about titers or the rabies incidence in the area. They get vaccinated every year because the only proven way to prevent rabies is to vaccinate every year.

Vaccine reactions are treatable. Rabies is not.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

5 members found this post helpful.

Oh I'm not arguing that some horses can have a serious reaction to some vaccines. They definitely can.
    But as Amastrike states, vaccine reactions are usually treatable. Rabies is a death sentence.

IIRC there hasn't been a case of EIA in CT in a decade. We still require Coggins for travelling out of the state and for shows. When there isn't a reported case in an area for a long time, it's not proof that there isn't rabies in that area. Random wildlife testing isn't going to detect it. All that means is that there hasn't been anyone who's found it in a pet or reported and had tested dead wildlife.

Vets might not consider it common enough to offer it in the list of annual vaccines but as an owner I'd still request one for rabies.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

1 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Many years ago I asked my vet - a very conservative, well-educated (CME annually) guy to vaccinate for rabies.
    I had witnessed skunks in my barn and knew they might interact with my horses as skunks are not a fearful varmint and horses are curious....
    He agreed, but told me it was not a problem in my area.
    IMO better safe than sorry.

The next Spring the vet brought along a copy of the latest JVM that had an article indicating skunks as vectors of rabies had been identified in my part of the country.

I did have one horse suffer a reaction to the vaccine.
    He could not lower his head the next day - I fed grain in pans on the ground -only minor swelling at the site, no heat, but very stiff. I hung a haynet & bucket for grain, he was able to drink from the water bucket in his stall. Cleared up in 24h with banamine.

Vet does shots on alternate sides of the neck - noting which vaccine went where - so we were able to narrow down to the rabies vaccine.
    After that it was given in the hip - no more adverse reactions.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Because we use foster homes for the rescue, there are MANY vets we use. We've had a few vets that told us horses didn't need rabies vaccines. I had to argue to get them vaccinated. Argh.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

2 members found this post helpful.